Huel 2.2 - texture

Hi Julian, my batch is “2965 9.20am”

Thicker than 2.1?!

I only have about 10 bags of 1.2 left :disappointed: I was hoping 2.2 was going to be thinner again!

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback; our tests have shown that v2.2 is a better consistency, but we want to look in to this.

Those of you who do feel it’s thicker or lumpier, are you big users? What type of Huel are you using (UU, vanilla, GF)? How do you mix it?

Hi James,
I use huel for lunch every day, and have since February 2016. I have the vanilla. I mix it in a kitchen blender.

I started a poll about a week ago about the consistency, and generally people seem happy with it - you can see it here: Is Huel v2.2 too thick?

2 Likes

Old school whiner reporting in. 8 bags a month, 4-5 shakers a day of 1.2, until it runs out. Bought a metric fuckton of that this last winter. Been at it since January last year.

400mil to 100g. Watery as milk. Bloody lovely too. Anything past that post and I’m out.

Two months to go… I’m thinking Bertrand or Mana next :wink:

My 2.2 is thicker and gloopier, but I’m not as fussy as some others are. I preferred the texture of the previous version, and I prefer the taste of this version. I’m not fussed. I’m happy anyway. The numbers printed on my packet are:
2979 12:49pm
04/2018 28-04-17
That’s one of the packet.

I am on my last vestiges of 1.2 also. Although I do have a few bags of 2.1 I have snagged from some friends failed attempts at Huel.
I managed to completely skip 2.0 luckily.
I hope things get sorted soon.

1 Like

Get sorted how though? The 2.0 thickness is here to stay. 2.2 is just a recipe change and a step away from certain ingredients in the gum blend. Not the ratios, or the intended thickness.

But surely if there are enough grumbles and the sales go down, the gum mix would be further revised?
I’m a 5 month user who’s happy with the ‘old’ texture from 3 scoops and 600mL water, but if the new v is as gloopy as some say I’ll be taking my powder custom elsewhere (but sticking with Huel bars).

It was grumbles that made the new thickness a reality on the UU, and counter-grumbles has done nothing. Sales are most likely unaffected either which way in the longterm, despite pushing a marginal set of complainers to the sideline. If I recall correctly, nine tenths of sales are Vanilla, and that has always been thick. They’ll fix the gloop one way or another. This is just quality assurance in the end. Everybody who loves drinking paste are a strong enough customer base…

And it used to be 3 scoops to 400mil :]

3 Likes

I like it runny :laughing:
I wonder also how much difference one’s starting point makes?
I’ve only experienced v2.1 and I like it. Maybe I would have liked 1.2 even more in which case I’d have given up when 2.1 came out without giving it much of a chance.
I have a couple of bags of vanilla to get through before ordering 2.2 but I’ll be giving the new blend a go.

1 Like

Well it seems like the majority are happy with the current thickness according to the poll I posted last week: Is Huel v2.2 too thick?

I’m not sure if it would make sense, bearing that in mind, to change the gum mix.

Well it seems like the majority are happy with the current thickness according to the poll I posted last week: https://discuss.huel.com/t/is-huel-v2-2-too-thick/65543

But your quiz doesn’t mention Vanilla or UU. Vanilla has always been thick and all the gum changes are an attempt to make UU a similar texture. UU caters to a different minority crowd who are looking for something more natural tasting (or so it seems to me). Vanilla massively outsells UU, so most of your voters will be ticking “'it’s just right” because they are Vanilla drinkers who like their Huel sweet and gloopy.

I bought a bag of v1.2 Vanilla when I first found Huel in April last year. I gave it a fair shot but ended up giving it away. A horrible texture and a sickly horrible taste. Neat v1.2 UU on the other hand is heaven in a shaker, I love the stuff, it’s truly amazing.

1 Like

Ah very good point, I entirely forgot this may be an issue - perhaps make a similar thing specific to U&U?

2 Likes

And perhaps the poll was taken a bit early i.e. before most people had ordered the new stuff.

I figured people could continue responding as they tried it for the first time, but it may be best to start a new poll now.

1 Like

I too found it thick and lumpy on first try of 2.2, but just added 50ml more water and now it’s such a nice consistency. I’ve been using vanilla huel for over 18 months, normally averaging about 65-90% of my diet.
I now mix 3 scoops with 550ml, easy fix and like I said, now a lovely velvety texture

I’ve been 90 - 100% Huel for several weeks now. My usual mix (for about the last week) is two-thirds U/U and one-third vanilla - 76g in total, mixed with either 320ml water and 80ml unsweetened almond milk, or just 400ml water. I usually add in a heaped tea-spoon of something like unsweetened cocoa, coffee granules, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, or a mix of those (in small amounts). I use the mixing bottle, shaking typically for 20 - 30 seconds or so, and refrigerate overnight. With 2.1 U/U and vanilla, I’ve never had any lumps and the consistency was perfect, in my opinion - thick enough to be satisfying, but not too thick.

I just got my first batch of 2.2 U/U a couple of days ago, which I’m currently mixing with my remaining 2.1 vanilla. The consistency is noticeably thicker, and for the first time I’m getting quite a lot of small lumps in my shakes. I don’t mind the consistency (and I can control that with liquid in any case), but it’s a shame about the lumps. Still enjoying it, though :slight_smile:

EDIT: Batch info - “3015 07:31 am 05/2018 08-05-17”

Russ, that tip of going all water first made it much easier with 2.2. Thanks mate. It is a much more consistent and smoother texture now, albeit more aerated. I’ve always made my batch, cool it in the fridge for an hour, pour it into a Thermos then add a handful of ice cubes. When I pour it out 5 to 8hrs later, my Huel 2.2 is much thicker, gloopier and it adheres to everything. I then have to either finish off with a spoon or a chopstick otherwise 20% of my Huel is stuck to the sides.

In short, making it with a blender and consuming straight away is ok now with 4 scoops to 600ml. Chill it, leave it with ice cubes, it turns out a gloopy thickish thing.