Huel 2.2 - texture

I agree… it needs to be resolved, and I’m hopeful the team will figure it out. I’m using Huel for weight loss / weight management primarily, so for me a higher liquid-to-powder ratio isn’t a big problem so long as I can keep my meal size to around 300kcal in one shaker (although as I mentioned the higher proportion of liquid results in a weaker taste). But for general nutritional balance and convenience, the consistency of 2.1 is undoubtedly better…

v2.1 UU I could get down but had no wish to return to. I actually crave UU v1.2. It tastes pretty good without anything added and is very satisfying. When the 6 bags I have left run out, I’ll be looking for another product (which at least will spare the board from my broken record posts).

1 Like

yeah thx, :slight_smile: … Already did that, but it still has that gluey feel… and it has small lumps that dont mix :S … Really just hope they change it back fast…

yeah, i’m finding the same thing. it can be thinned out with more water, but that doesn’t solve the unpleasantness of the texture, still too viscous.

ha ha, this is spot on

I must be the odd one out this time round! I think the taste is better in 2.2 and the texture is smoother. All round an easier product to stomach.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback re the fridge overnight texture.

1 Like

Maybe try to do a poll on everyone that have received 2.2?

If there’s overwhelming, or even significant, displeasure with the texture, wouldn’t it be rather easy to switch back to the texture of 2.1?

There are multiple factors to consider should we feel that there are notable issues that need addressing. Obviously, we want to get it right and satisfy the majority of Huelers. We are looking in to this as I type!

1 Like

I’m happy to report that using the full 500ml water + 3 scoops in the shaker bottle with a mixer ball worked perfectly, and is perfectly acceptable to drink, with a similar thickness to how I had it previously with 400ml + 3 scoops. That mixer ball made all the difference - without it, it was a lumpy horrible mess, my guess being that it wasn’t possible to seperate the clumps that formed. (Water first, add ball, add huel, shake vigorously for 30 seconds, add grid just to make sure I don’t get any unpleasant surprises).

The answer may simply be “include a mixer ball with the shaker when you send them out to first time users” to solve the problem for newbies! The one I got was below, but I suspect the plastic ones do similar jobs.

The texture is a little different now, but it’s acceptable enough, and actually drinkable now which is a massive improvement.

Edit: Second run at lunch, without the grid in, resulted in a few little lumps getting through, but nothing unacceptable, fairly similar to the 2.1.

1 Like
  1. Add half the water you plan to use
  2. Add the Huel powder
  3. Add the second half of the total amount of water you plan to use on top of the Huel
  4. Add grid
  5. Shake for 20 seconds.

No lumps. Maybe the reason people have trouble with grid is because the put the water in all at first and then the dry powder sticks to the grid at the start.

The jingle of the shaker ball in an empty shaker in my bag when I’m travelling around makes it too embarrassing to consider using. :joy:

I tried that earlier on. Got a whole lot of lumpy Huel.

Hmm. Maybe it is something to do with different water in different areas. Or how hard people shake. :confused:

It might help to be more specific with how much Huel and water you use. Confirm if it is 2.2 and Vanilla or UU. Do you add anything else?

I am still on 2.1 and don’t think about the details. But if I was trying to work out the difference between mine and someone else’s experience I’d get specific. And, yeah, shaking might be part of that.

After struggling for a week after running out of v1.2 I thought I’d give v2.2 a try.

I had previously tried v2.0 but really didn’t like the salt, and the texture wasn’t pleasant.

So, first try of v2.2 on Saturday, didn’t go so well. I tried the suggestion of shaking the powder (3 scoops) in an empty shaker to allow the grid to break it up. I then added the powder to 500ml of water, then half a scoop of chocolate powder and gave it a good shake.

The first mouthful had small lumps in. Shook it a bit more, still lumps. So added more water and shook, still lumpy.

Gave up and decided to try the blender at work.

So yesterday tried again, 500ml and 3 scoops, plus half a scoop of chocolate. Gave it a blend. No lumps, but it was now thicker than a milkshake. Added more water to thin it out a bit.

On the plus point, no salt taste, but even with the chocolate it still tasted more bland than v1.2.

For the second shake I started with 700ml water, then added the Huel plus chocolate. The consistency was a lot better but still thicker than v1.2. But the main difference for me was how much harder it was to get through. I can see some people liking this as it may make them feel full, but it felt very heavy going down.

I also miss the texture of v1.2, I did consider adding some oats but there wasn’t much room left in the blender and I imagine it would make it even thicker.

I’ll persist with the bag for now and see how I get on.

v2.0 had the extra salt, v2.1 removed the salt.

1 Like

Oops, thanks, have edited post.

Having the morning Huel now, nearly two thirds of the way through and struggling. Does anyone else struggle with the volume (mine is around 800ml or more) and thicker consistency/weight?

I started using a metal mixing ball yesterday. Since then, I have had only one or two lumps.

The texture and thickness are just right and it’s perfect now it has no lumps. However 2.2 is my only experience.

1 Like

Just here to echo what has been said above: I thought I had a dodgy batch (lumps, unpalatable, caused cramps/diarrhoea) but after browsing the forums it looks like I’ve just got my first batch of v2.2 :frowning:

Reducing Huel/increasing water helps, but this is a serious downgrade from v2.1. Please fix this!