Huel 2.2 - texture

I just thought id add my 50 cents…

I gave up on version 2.1uu because it was too thick and posted my opinion along with many others at the time.

I found that you had to add so much water to 2.1uu that the taste was destroyed. Looking at the comments above, i can see this has not been resolved.

But i did find that it works quite well when 2.1U/U is mixed 50/50 with 1.2 U/U so this is what i have been using.

I was going to buy some 2.2 to try last week, but reading this post I don’t think I’ll bother - its obviously still too thick, and i cant believe that this hasn’t been spotted. Its just obviously too thick!!!

I am not going to even try 2.2, I shall move on to something else.

Whilst I know not everyone uses or wants to use a blender, and despite it being the recommended approach - for the sake of argument, I’d just be curious how people’s experiences of 2.2 would differ in terms of thickness alone for those of us who do blend?

Just because obviously the lumps issue goes straight out the window - personally I find the noticeable additional thickness manageable even with overnight fridge storage (which is the only way I roll), and makes it feel more ‘mealy’ than a watery version.

Discuss. =)

2 Likes

I can’t speak to the blender approach…

What I will say is this: for folks coming to Huel v2.2 with no previous experience of v2.1, I suspect most would be very happy. I had no experience of Huel prior to v2.1, and I was very happy with that version as a (then) new customer. Despite my hopes that the next version is closer to 2.1 than 2.2 in thickness and texture, I can live with v2.2 - it’s not a deal-breaker for me by any means. It’s still a great product, IMHO, and does what I need it to do… it;s just that I far preferred v2.1. But I have no intention of changing to anything else. Unless things go badly downhill (which I seriously doubt will be the case), I’m standing by the team and the product, and will support Huel through its minor ups and downs. I still love it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve had lots of 1.2, of 2.1, and now of 2.2.
I was quite pleasantly surprised with 2.1 tasting a bit smoother (in both varieties) because the earlier version often felt like a chore to slug down.
The first time I tried v2.2 Unflavoured (500ml water to 3 scoops): I shook it - really hard, but it fought back. Maybe I’d overdone it this time! The viscosity was ~okay and palatable. I was thrown back by an attacking flow of LUMPS however! (I blended it and ended up with the thickest gloop ever… Blending often does that though, especially after shaking…?)

EDIT - Was definitely packing in too much Huel, never squash it down as the comment below says.

{]18 days later[} 2.2 is definitely thinner with more (small) lumps. But the palatability has grown on me.

Flavour really helps. But I think the main solution for me was to shake the mixture hard, and with directness downward. I like the metal ball idea.

1 Like

Definitely not repetitive!!! How can we possibly know what everyone thinks if people shouldn’t already say what others have already said??? That makes no sense, and defeats the whole object of the forum. If 500 people all post and say the exact same thing, that is VERY much more useful for accuracy and knowledge of wide opinions than if just 2 or 3 said the same thing only to avoid being ‘repetitive’.

2 Likes

HI there! :slight_smile: sorry if I bothered you, as you said this is a forum, so all of our opinions are welcome even mine if Im not wrong.

I understand your point, but I think this is too personal, I mean I have tried 2.1 and 2.2 and for me it’s ok, both of them had practically the same consistency so I don’t see where the problem is, however I can understand that some people have concerns about this, and some of them don’t want to buy or try because of that, but once again all of this is too personal, even the taste I couldn’t drink it for the very first attempts, it was disgusting and now I drink it as water.

My point in my previous messages was that I’d prefer the team to be focus in terms of nutrition rather than consistency, because the way I see things consistency is not a problem for me but nutrition is, as I want to be healthy.

That was my point, enjoy your shakers !

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed any difference between 2.1 & 2.2. Tastes the same to me and is certainly not too thick

I’ve a few 2.1 bags left if you’re interested, contact me :slight_smile:

I just received a batch of v2.2 and it’s true that the lumps are too much. Using the same amount of water and huel than before, v2.1 was much less prone to create lumps. Even if I shake twice as long the lumps are so big they don’t go through the mouth piece.

Using a blender was an option until v2.1 but since v2.2 it seems a requirement :frowning:

Batch number 3056, UU GF.

For those using scoops to measure, I’ve noticed it’s way lumpier if I pack it down in the scoop, keeping it looser seems to help, so just scooping it, tapping it to make sure it’s full, and brushing excess off the top worked for me.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more… Don’t compress the powder mixes much better. thickness is just right for me. I only use water and very rarely left with lumps.

My Routine is to put 1 inch of water at the bottom
chuck the powder in
the add the rest of the water a shake like Shakira on Amphets!

So trying overnight version! I imagine it has the same effect as overnight oats! YUM

1 Like

I have 2 bags of 2.1 left and I’m about to renew my subscription for my next 8 bags, I’m torn whether to wait until a thinner consistency is created like 2.1.

Also I get that the concept of Huel is for a porridge like consistency, but I can’t see that appealing to most of the people who buy Huel (at least reading these 2.2 reviews).

For the record I put 4 scoops in my shaker, which from what I can see is going to be way too much even when filled to the brim with water. I don’t want to have to use a bucket to mix 2.2!!

It was by popular request that they made it thicker, and has been polled a few times to that effect. It’s intended.

Bring a bucket.

1 Like

I love the consistency. I am a newbie though so have no comparison data lol

3 Likes

Those metal balls are the only way I have been able to get protein shakes smooth… They should be shipped with the shaker they are that good!

1 Like

I am finding 2.2 great for me. A little thicker, which I like, and it seems to keep my appetite at bay longer.

Only now getting to 2.2 and have to echo the original poster’s impression: viscosity has yet again increased, to the point of becoming “unmanageably thick”.

Have used Huel since its inception, and each new version requires more water per unit of powder. For people with smaller frames stuffing 2 litres of liquid on your stomach to get sufficient kcal in a reasonable time is not a pleasant experience. Remember the original UU? It just sank into the water like fine sand. Good days.

@Julian, @JamesCollier, @TimOfficeHuel:
Assuming most people enjoy the molasses-like texture, and knowing most people also prefer the vanilla version: why not revert the UU version to its hardcore roots and remove all the thickeners from it? Discerning users could thus configure their texture (by combining different ratios of UU and vanilla) on a reasonable water budget.

UU is a specialty product already, might as well go all-in. Huel even caters to the gluten-free crowd, so why the disdain for us runny-watery lovers? :disappointed:

2 Likes

Hi

When the UU was too thin, we had a lot of complaints. People have different preferences, but most prefer HUel with a reasonable thickness. Plus the beauty of Huel is its versitility - you can adapt your shake and add more / less water to taste.

1 Like

So a gallon of water is perfectly fine for 2k calories a day?

Sure.

2 Likes