Huel Barista Coffee Club

Just tryin’ to help :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a second for instant coffee in huel. It’s not like you get the flavour coming through as strong as when you drink coffee, you want it it influence the flavour. Getting some good instant does that job well.

Though I’m one of those people to uses decaf so people probably think it’s not really coffee.

1 Like

Are you guys adding coffee to Huel made with hot water or cold water?

That depends on what science you believe really. Calorie counting has never worked for me personally. I’ve lost 3 stone in 18 months doing LCHF and I don’t weigh or limit my allowed foods. I’m rarely hungry, never feel bloated, am less ‘gassy’, my skin is better, I sleep well and feel more energetic in general. Test results show all positives, normal blood pressure/sugars, more muscle mass and best of all my visceral fat has reduced hugely. So, I’m happy. I eat meat, fish, fruit (mostly the ones that end in “berries”), vegetables (mostly the ones that grow above ground) and nuts. No sugar, flour or processed foods. Healthiest I’ve ever been. :blush:

1 Like

I was gonna try 50/50 milk and water today, but thought “bugger it” and did 500ml semi skimmed (I normally drink whole but I’m conscious that Huel already accommodates for calories, so didn’t want to go OTT). I had a taste without the coffee in, and Huel is pretty nice made with milk! Anyway, this is what I did today:

3x scoops Original Vanilla Huel
500ml semi skimmed milk
Double espresso
Top up with water depending on your thickness preference.

This worked much better with the milk, still not 100% what I’m after but much more satisfying than made with water. I’d say this now comes close to your typical coffee flavoured protein shake type taste. I have to say making Huel up with milk would have to be an occasional treat for me as this clocks in at 709 calories thanks to the extra 244 from the milk. I’m not aiming to lose weight with Huel, but I’m sure as hell not aiming to gain any!

Love coffee and Huel. Sometimes I’ll make a big pot in the office but not get through it all, I’ll then decant it into a shaker and pop it in the fridge. I then can use that as the water to make my Huel with! It’s pretty punchy but really delicious and means that coffee isn’t wasted!

2 Likes

No, that doesn’t depend on what science you believe. Physics dictates that a deficit of calories will cause weight loss. Unless you can circumvent the laws of energy conservation, there’s no way a calorific deficit will fail to cause a decrease in body mass.

However, it depends on where you place your TDEE and also the deficit you require in order to lose weight. I guess calorie tracking can be difficult for some, but it’s not too bad.

Once someone explained the above to me two years ago I stopped doing fad diet, set myself a calorie allowance and got to it. Went from 17st to 13st in 4 months. It works, it just depends on discipline and willpower I suppose.

Just to clarify, it’s great that what you’re doing is working for you :slight_smile:

I just add dry coffee granules to cold Huel and shake it up…works fine.

1 Like

@hunzas are you doing a 50/50 mix of plant milk/water AND a 50/50 mix of vanilla/uu for your coffee Huel?
I tried making a coffee huel this morning with instant coffee and it didnt really work.
I’ve previously tried chucking a freshly brewed espresson in before and that was worse.

I’m wondering what ratio of vanilla / uu you are using and how many spoons of instant coffee, to get your perfect mix?

1 Like

Yes, I was. @Julian recommended Millicano coffee and that worked brilliantly for me. I don’t drink instant coffee, but freshly ground beans for filter coffee, but I didn’t like that in Huel. A level (not heaped) tsp of Millicano just shaken into 50/50 water plant milk and 50/50 uu/vanilla worked totally. However I have now stopped 50/50 plant milk/water an reverted to 100% water and the coffee works just as well. I still refrigerate overnight.

Okay thanks John I’ll try your recipe tomorrow and see if I get a better result.
Like you I personally prefer freshly ground coffee but it didn’t work at all in Huel.
I do have a jar of millicano in the cupboard that I keep for those wierd visitors that don’t like real coffee, as Tesco has been selling it stupid cheap for what seems like forever!

If I DO have to have instant coffee, my personal fav is Nescafe Espresso - it’s a super fine powder with an intense taste. I wouldn’t normally recommend Nescafé anything. But I do recommend trying that.
I’ll use millicano tomorrow tho and 50/50 vanilla/unflavoured. And water. Maybe a little coconut milk.

1 Like

Ah. Just realised. The refridgerating overnight is the key with most recipes isn’t it…
But I’m too lazy to get up again now to go make it.
I still have a half shaker of this mornings experimental coffee Huel however, that might be a whole lot nicer by the morning. Or worse. I’ll find out I guess

1 Like

I never buy Nescafe…hateful bastards, in same way I never buy Mars, Unilever, P&G etc.

Yeah, I always refrigerate overnight.

Yeah I avoid all them where possible. It gets a bit complicated though. Nasty brands buy out decent brands and brands you’ve never heard of, you later find out are owned by the big nasties. It becomes a right headache trying to not support the wrong ones. I do my best. Which ain’t perfect.

Who makes millicano then? I thought that was Nescafé aswell?

Anyway, I’m taking this way off topic.
Or maybe not. By consuming Huel we are doing a bit of good !

2 Likes

Kenco is Douwe Egberts, still not perfect they own tobacco. But yeah, t is a minefield…give it a couple of years and Huel will be Unilever.

God thats a scary thought.

2 Likes