Huel being available in Australia: Very Important

Hi, I have been recently introduced to Huel and have absolutely loved it. It has solved so many problems for someone like me, namely the desire to get balanced nutrition but living in the hustle and bustle of life without the ability to always cook. I was sceptical at first but my body took it really well, I always had so much energy after taking my Huel and it was really a positive addition to my life.
Now life circumstances have changed and I have had to move to Australia permanently, now I understand I can no longer get Huel delivered here! I started to panic and found the only alternative is Aussielent, but I read about the ingredients and it doesn’t look as good. For one it’s got alot of mutlidextrin in it to use as carbs and that is apparently not good for you. It’s also not meant to be a complete meal replacement.
I really really want Huel to be available in Australia and I will be the first long term customer. Is Australia on the roadmap at all? There’s literally no competition here so I’m sure it would be very profitable for you. Can you get your senior management to expand to Australia? Would much appreciate it, thank you!

1 Like

Huel used to ship to Australia but deliveries got stuck in customs so they stopped shipping there.

2 Likes

I know. It would be good if Huel could actually open up a factory in Australia, thereby negating the need to ship from overseas. Any word on if this will ever happen?

1 Like

Mate, that’s literally millions in investment right there. An entire production operation in a country on the other side of the planet is probably years away, if at all.

3 Likes

My point is I think the investment would be worthwhile as stated earlier. Would be good to hear from the mods if this is something that is on the roadmap at all or are other countries being considered first?

You’re right, but it doesn’t matter if it’d be worth it or not at this point. Huel is a tiny baby of a company, the CAPEX required for that is enormous, not to mention creating an entire Huel.au team.

I guess @Tim_Huel or @JamesCollier could advise.

Hi, we would love to be in Australia, but there are a number of loopholes to jump through which mean it’s not a quick win. It’s not in our 6 month plan, but it is in our longer term plan.

4 Likes

Hi all

Thank you for clarifying the current state of play regarding Huel in Australia. It is regrettable that Australian regulations do not currently allow Huel to be imported.

Is it possible to somehow start a mailing list of Australians who would like to purchase Huel? I am keen to get on board, but would rather not have to continually check this website or go on to a general mailing list, especially when Australia is currently only part of the “longer term plan”.

Grateful for your consideration
Tom

Hi James

Please kindly see my reply in the general feed. Grateful for your or a fellow team member’s consideration.

Tom.

Hi there, I’m in a similar situation as a few of you, having grown to love Huel in the UK and recently moved to Australia. In case it is of interest to you I thought I would share that I recently brought 2 bags of Huel with me to Australia successfully.

I traveled from London Heathrow to Brisbane International via Abu Dhabi on Emirates. I had my Huel in my checked luggage and I had no trouble at any stage of the journey. On arrival in Australia, I declared that I had Huel and that it was a “protein shake” and the customs official simply said that’s fine and did not even look at the product. Prior to travelling I emailed Australian customs and they said that this bringing this kind of product in should be fine as long as it is in small enough quantities that it is considered to be for personal use and also that the country of manufacture is stated on the packaging (and that they deem the country of manufacture to be acceptable, which the UK is at this time).

So long story short, for me it was possible to bring Huel to Australia. Of course there are no guarantees that this will always be the case, but I hope this might help any of you who are also trying to decide if it is worth trying to bring Huel to Australia with the risk of possibly having it confiscated on arrival. Please do your own research first as I know their guidelines change frequently (including which countries customs allow products from) and always declare all food products as there are fines if you don’t.

2 Likes

Checking in 8 months later and wondering whether the longer term plan is still “longer term” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortauntely, it’s not on our current plans :frowning:

Hey James,

Would you be willing to advise on what you think would be the best alternative available within the Australian market in terms of nutrition and ingredients?

Thanks

Not James but I will try my best to point you some alternatives.

Huel Ingredient List for reference: Oats , Pea Protein, Flaxseeds, Brown Rice Protein, Natural Vanilla Flavouring, MCT Powder (from Coconut), Sunflower Oil Powder, Micronutrient Blend*, Thickeners: Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum, Flavouring, Sweetener: Sucralose.

*Potassium Chloride, Coconut Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin C, L-Choline Bitartrate, Lutein, Plant-Based Vitamin D3, Lycopene, Vitamin E (as D-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Niacin (as Niacinamide), Vitamin K2 (as MK-7), Vitamin A (as Retinol Acetate), Vitamin D2, Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium-D-Pantothenate), Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Riboflavin, Vitamin K1, Chromium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, L-Methylfolate Calcium, Biotin, Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin).

The local brands:

Aussilent.

• Powder: Price is AUD 2.27/400kcal.
Based on Vanilla 2.3 Powder Vegan
E(C/P/F) 40/30/30 55/25/20 55/25/20
Calories 400 515 400 497 400
Carbs 37.1 67.7 52.58 65.4 52.64
Sugars 1.2 4.9 3.81 2.8 2.25
Protein 29.5 30 23.30 30.1 24.23
Fats 13.1 12.1 9.40 11.3 9.09
Saturated 1.2 3.4 2.64 2.7 2.17
MCT 1.1 0.00 0.00
MUFA 2.7 3 2.33 3.1 2.49
PUFA 7.4 5.3 4.12 5.5 4.43
from which O3 0.51 0.40 0.51 0.41
From which O6 4.52 3.51 4.52 3.64
Fiber 5.4 7.3 5.67 6.7 5.39
Salt 0.7 0.00

Ingredient list: Oat Flour , Maltodextrin, Soy Flour , Whey Protein (16%), Vitamin And Mineral Premix (Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Niacin, Zinc, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Molybdenum, Iodine, Chromium, Selenium, Vitamin K, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12), Rice Flour, Soy Lecithin , Cocoa, Salt.

Key differences: Usage of maltodextrin as one of the primary carbohydrate sources; whey protein as protein source (not vegan); vitamin premix probably different; no MCTs; different fat sources.
Summary a whole different beast.

• Vegan Powder. Price: AUD 2.3/400kcal
    Ingredient List: Oat Flour , Maltodextrin, Soy Flour , Soy Protein Isolate (15%), Vitamin And Mineral Premix (Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Niacin, Zinc, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Molybdenum, Iodine, Chromium, Selenium, Vitamin K, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12), Rice Flour, Soy Lecithin , Salt, Sweetener (Sucralose).
    Again very different, particularly the protein source being soy and not pea+rice.

They also have a RTD (35C/20P/45F) at AUD 3.24/400kcal.
Ingredient list: Water, Maltodextrin, Soy Protein Isolate , High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Canola Oil, Vitamin & Mineral Premix (Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Niacin, Zinc, Pantothenic Acid, Manganese, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Vitamin A, Iodine, Selenium, Molybdenum, Vitamin K, Chromium, Biotin, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12), Inulin, Sunflower Lecithin, Stabiliser (Gellan Gum, Cellulose Gel, Sodium Phosphate-Dibasic, Carageenan, Cellulose Gum), Flavours, Sweetener (Sucralose).

In summary these products are quite different to Huel.

Brands that ship to AUS:

Superbodyfuel (they subsidize orders above $100 to a flat $30 fee for the shipping). From US.

None of their products resembles Huel in from a macro distribution point (KInd of wrong, see EDIT below). They are however, vegan powders; use gluten free oat powder as carb source; and brown rice for protein. Their products require to add milk or oils to make them complete, and even them they tend to have skewed macros (like high saturated fat content) and deficiencies in omega-3s.

Jake (EU).
They have 3 products: Jake Light (500kcal), Jake Original (670kcal), Jake Sports (750kcal) that are packed in individual bags.
Price depends on order size and product; but Jake Original will cost you AUD 3/400kcal.

Jake Original: 45C/24P/31F
Jake-Original-Nutrition

Jake Light: 28C/32P/40F
Jake-Light-Nutrition

Jake Sports: 45C/21P/34F
Jake-Sport-Nutrition

From a macro distribution standpoint Jake Original comes the closest.
Ingredients

Pea protein, oat flour ( gluten ), maltodextrin, vegetable oils (sunflower, flaxseed), dextrose, oat fibre ( gluten ), flavouring anti-caking agent: silicon dioxide, calcium lactate gluconate, colour: beetroot red, thickeners: guar gum and xanthan gum, dipotassium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline bitartrate, tri magnesium citrate, citric acid, antioxidant: tocopherol-rich extract, sweetener: sucralose, L-ascorbic acid, ferric pyrophosphate, DL-alpha tocopheryl acetate, menaquinone-7, zinc sulphate monohydrate, chromium chloride, potassium iodine, nicotinamide, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite, retinyl acetate, lycopene, calcium D-pantothenate, manganese sulphate monohydrate, D-biotin, cholecalciferol, cyanocobalamin, copper sulphate monohydrate, pteroylmonoglutamic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, phylloquinone, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin.

They have a starterbox for AUD35.

Pulve (EU).
They offer free worldwide shipping in orders above 72 meals of 500kcal( AUD23).
They only have one product (Vanilla flavour), with a macro distribution of 46C/24P/30F. It is vegan like Huel, but includes different ingredients.Pulve_Nutrition_label

In conclusion, Huel is unique and there is no brand that is 100% like Huel. From all the options that I have listed (and some that I might have forgotten) which one is the best in terms of nutrition and ingredients?

That is partially subjective to which diet you are looking for and also depends on you allergies.

EDIT: as @hmijail has pointed out in his answer below, you can actually get similar macros to Huel with Athlete Fuel +2cups of whole milk (per serving). Plus they offer other products to improve or tailor your ingredients.

6 Likes

Wow. Just wow. A classic “@Latestfuels thread-closer”! Thank you for the fantastic reply

1 Like

Not to repeat the discussions we already had in the magnificent latestfuels.com reviews of Huel and SuperBodyFuel ;), but… what do you mean that “no SBF product resembles Huel from a macro distribution point”? As your review stated, the Athlete version of SBF does have a macro distribution of 30P/40C/30F, just like Huel. Which is why I started using it when it became clear that Huel had quit Australia ;P.
Plus, SBF has a Keto version and even offers the ingredients separatedly, so one can tune the macros to their heart’s desires.

1 Like

I just recognised your username :smile: I guess we are a small community after all.

You are right. I should have been more clear on that (kind of missfired). The powder itself does not have that macronutrient distribution (without adding milk) but if you add 2 cups of whole milk you will get to 30P/40C/30F (which is what they recommend and thus it is what I use in the short description).

I also agree that SBF offers a flexibility that other brands don’t (for better or worse) and that you can tailor your macros ( I was a little lazy expanding on that regard). In fact, you could perhaps DIY some Huel using SBF products with their supplements (not really from the ingredients standpoint, but from macros). It is just something that requires a little bit more planning and thinking.

That’s why Huel is great. Because you don’t really need to think about anything.

You’re really good at pointing out details! :muscle: Thank you!

5 Likes

Hi, Australian here. Wondering if there has been any developments in getting Huel to Australia??

Hi, European here moved to Australia. There are no good meal replacement options here. I hope Huel would consider the Australian market.

What have you tried?
Not sure if they will suit you but you can opt between: Aussilent, jimmyjoy and superbodyfuel, among others

1 Like