Huel Black edition causing chest pains

I’ve recently tried Huel for the first time a few weeks ago, I ordered the Huel black edition and ever since I’ve started to drink it i constantly have chest pains throughout the day. I stopped taking it for 2 days and the chest pain gradually disappeared, I drank it again today and the chest pains have returned. So disappointing as I love how Huel gives me so much energy and makes me feel full but the chest pains are super worrying!

Hey Reanne, thanks so much for joining the Huel team, just so sorry that you’ve had a rough start. I can’t comment on what this could be. I will tag @Dan_Huel who may be able to help a little bit. Question: how quickly are you drinking your Huel? And are you drinking it at a similar time to drinking hot drinks?

Hey Reanne,

That is odd. I agree with Tim those two questions are helpful.

If you’re having your Huel quickly (<5 minutes) and alongside a hot drink this could be causing your symptoms.

Hi,
Thank you for your swift response. I have tried different methods, I’ve tried drinking it at different times throughout the day, I have also tried sippping it slowly throughout the evening and it still is causing chest pains. I generally have a hot drink in the morning, and I have my Huel in the late afternoon/evening so I don’t think that could be causing it. This is so disappointing as I did pay quite a lot for the 2 packs of Huel black edition and I do love a full it makes me feel but the chest pain still persists when drinking Huel, I’m sure if it is a bad batch or something?

Hi @ReanneD

It’s odd that these symptoms are linked to you consuming Huel. Have you ever had symptoms like this when consuming other foods/drinks? Especially other products of similar consistency. How long after having Huel do the symptoms persist?

It might be worth speaking with your doctor as there could be some minor gastric reflux, oesophageal restriction or hiatus hernia* even if you’re only experiencing this with Huel.

*I’m not a medical expert or clinician so these are purely guesses.

1 Like

Hi Reanne

Just thought I’d pop on here as I had the exact same situation as you. I went to the hospital and had an ECG, X-ray, bloods etc and it was all fine.

But I was still having these pains. It felt like it was right where my heart is.

I went to the Drs. It turned out to be really simple and easily fixed. Because I went from eating (lots of) solid food to consuming mainly Huel, this meant that not only was I eating less frequently… but the powder form instead of solids meant there was less mass being consumed too. My stomach on the other hand, was still producing the same amount of acid as before. This meant that the stomach was kind of eating itself, was over producing acid and inflamed the stomach. This caused swelling, which pushed the stomach itself against my ribs (look at a diagram of where the stomach is and you’ll see it’s a lot closer to the heart than you’d think and sits in the chest area). It felt exactly like it was my heart and I was also getting dizzy as well, which the Dr. Said was common and nothing to worry about.

She gave me an antacid course and it disappeared. So now I can carry on having Huel!

Hope that helps and for anyone else reading who had similar experiences.

Ali

2 Likes

Thanks Ali that’s helpful and reassuring. Likely any major dietary changes can produce temporary transitional side effects.

1 Like

Hi @alib_1 - interesting feedback, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Another update. After about 5 days I stopped taking the antacid pills. Seems the stomach has adapted. Not having any pains and am on Huel for breakfast and lunch, with a healthy solid meal in the evening.

After 2 months with Huel in my life daily, I feel incredible. I can really feel the benefits of eating with nutrition in mind and Huel completely takes away the need to plan and prep. Love it!

2 Likes

That’s brilliant to hear!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.