Huel contains less than recommended values of some substances according to wikipedia

I am using these for reference:

1. Compared to the current recommendations, Huel contains less of the following micronutrients than recommended:
  • Vitamin A

• Vitamin K

• Chloride

• Choline

• Folic Acid

• Potassium

What is the reasoning for having less of the above than recommended?

1. How much of the following substances does Huel contain?
  • Arsenic

• Silicon

• Vanadium

It would be good to include those amounts on the label, or state on the label that Huel contains zero amount of them.

1. I also noticed that Huel contains less fiber than recommended, what is the reason for that?

2. I know Huel contains zero cholesterol - it would be good to include that information on the label.

A quick look at the ingredient list shows that it contains 140% of GDA.
According to this site
http://www.foodlabel.org.uk/label/gda_values.aspx

the GDA for men and women is 24g per day.
This document for 2009 shows the same.

Huel provides 35.1 More than the GDA in both those articles.

I guess it all depends on what info you use. I for one am a bit leary of Wikipedia. It’s a good starting point, but always dig deeper and cross reference with other places before making conclusions.

As for the micronutriants.

Vit K http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-K.aspx Huel provides more than NHS reccomends.

Vit A

Folic Acid

and that was just a quick search, and already proven the wiki article to be incorrect.

So, from what I can see, Huel is pretty much spot on.

3 Likes

This one sentance also makes a lot of sense

“The DRI is used by both the United States and Canada and is intended for the general public and health professionals.”

Huel is made using EU regulations on nutrient content, the wiki link is based on US/Canadian regulations.

1 Like

I would be wary of saying the wiki article is proven to be incorrect. To me it appears that the wiki article is sourced mainly from the May 2016 updated nutritional recommendations (updated from the ones in 1968, which are still the basis for NHS and other european health agencies).

Looks to me as if USA/Canada are ahead in terms of how recent the recommendations are.

As much as that maybe the case, Huel is still made using different recommendations and that is why the numbers are different. It’s a British made product, made to EU regulations. What more can they do?

Humans are the same species in UK and in USA/Canada. Therefore, if scientific evidence recommends nutritional values - and this research is newer and performed using more modern methods and observations - then it should apply for both UK and USA/Canada.

Hence looking into what progress USA/Canada are making compared to UK might be a good idea, despite Huel being a UK product.

What @Kizeree said about EU versus U.S./Canada (not about Wikipedia. The wiki page is properly sourced.)

In the same vein, though, that’s why it is silly for Huel to knock Soylent for not having 100% of the U.K.'s RDIs. Apples and oranges. Soylent provides 100% RDI for U.S. and Huel provides 100% RDI for U.K.

Can you stop moaning? 4 threads now. Nobody is forcing you to eat huel. Either do, or dont.

5 Likes

What I also noticed about the wiki page is that they have different recomendations for women v men. How would that work in a product like Huel?
Differnt formula for different genders?

Huel is fine the way it is, not happy? Don’t use it.

(And I’m still wary of wiki, but as I was wrong on this occasion I apologise)

2 Likes

I’m always amazed that the recommended target of all of these vitamins and minerals is aimed at both 5’2" tall people and a 6’7" tall me.

1 Like

It’s interesting that there are different levels set by different parts of the world. Why is this? Do people in different parts of the world have different nutritional requirements? Or are just different criteria used to decide? What is the truth? Surely the truth must be out there, Mulder.

I suspect there is far more variation between individuals than there is between parts of the world taken as a whole. But people are probably going to be far healthier consuming Huel/Soylent/Joylent than eating a lot of the food that people tend to eat these days.

Next time you eat in a restaurant, I dare you to ask the waiter if they know whether your meal will contain a third of all nutritional requirements, and if so, whether those requirements are US, Canadian, British, European, Australian, Ethiopean, or Martian.

2 Likes

@rikefrejut

1. Huel contains at least 100% of the of the European Union’s “Daily Recommended Amounts”.

We will have a different vitamin and mineral blend for north America. In some cases they are higher, lower or the same.

1. Why would it be good to include those on the label? There are a lot of elements which could be shown but there is limited room, why these in particular? This is the first time anyone has asked for this info. Does anyone else list this type of info?

2. Huel contains 140% of the RDA of fibre.

3. We can’t list all the elements that are and are not contained in Huel. E.g. amino acids would be useful, but space is an issue. Also all phytonutrients. Does anyone else list this type of info?

3 Likes

Please don’t misunderstand my enthusiasm for the product to moaning.

I work in a scientific field and asking questions is what we do.