Huel + Erectile Dysfunction

I used Huel as a supplement and sometimes convenience food for several months. Recently I’d been suffering from ED and a lower than normal sex drive generally. I’m a young healthy man and have never suffered from ED before. I started to get really concerned that something was physiologically wrong with me. My girlfriend suggested that the only thing that had changed recently was adding Huel to my diet. Just 1 x 100g serving per day, sometimes two, but it was every day for several months. She persuaded me to stop taking Huel. Well, after about a month without it, my sex life is pretty much back to normal. I recently Googled phytoestrogens and ED and found a study done on male rabbits that concluded that chronic exposure to phytoestrogens may cause ED: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14972507. Have any of you other guys experienced lower libido/ ED?

Well I’m married so I can’t tell if it’s had an effect or not. :grin:

22 Likes

That reminds me of a joke. My wife suggested I get some pills that would make me more up for some bedroom action…so I came home and she was livid. Apparently she didn’t mean get her some diet pills. *

*Its a joke; and not about my wife…

12 Likes

I’ll add my 2 pence for what’s its worth, I’m a (will be) trustee of the Testosterone deficiency centre, and see guys with Hypogonadism/Low Testosterone all the time, I also write articles/pages on the topic.

I personally don’t agree that phytoestrogens will cause any sort of issue whatsoever, there are no decent studies out there, there is always one which proves another wrong etc etc etc… I personally use large quantities of huel also in conjunction with Soy protein isolate, last time I checked my oestradiol levels they were literally perfect. I’ve also got blood results from prior to my mass consumption of phytoestrogens and no difference at all between them.

I’d go as far as to say huel might even be beneficial to hormonal health due to it being so well balanced nutritional, the higher fibre diet from huel, again, most likely is going to benefit erectile health and quality, not harm it, remember its only a blood vessel at the end of the day, if the plumbing is clogged up then it’ll be poor, obviously.

If you have persistently Low lebido and ED then I’d get your Testosterone and Oestradiol checked out by your GP, it’ll likely be something along those lines, rather than one particular thing in your diet like huel.

Either way, if it’s resolved then I wouldn’t worry too much, try it again and if it does happen again then I’d just chalk it down as one of those things and discontinue use.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

one of your better ones

2 Likes

That’s what she said (!!)

1 Like

Do you know much about excess prolactin, prolactinomas and pituitary tumours? This can be an issue often mistaken for low testosterone. I assume you have at least come across it. Not relevant in this case but interesting nonetheless.

1 Like

If anything (coming up 23 months on Huel) I have the opposite. Healthy 50 year old.

1 Like

oh and come across it wasn’t an intentional pun…but as I just spotted it, thought I’d bring it up. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yeah I know tons on the issue, I personally had a near miss, but turned out not to be a prolactinoma, I had just had mild hyperprolactinemia which was rectified by reducing stress, and fixing ‘suspected’ low dopamine though various measures.

A prolactinoma (Pituitary tumour) can indeed cause Secondary Hypogonadism (Low T) because it’ll lower LH and FSH output from the pituitary gland to the testicles, so the poor things down there are left hanging with no idea they should actually be doing something, due to the signal essentially being cut/severely lessened, if my explanation makes sense?

It’s very rare/impossible to see someone with a secreting prolactinoma and normal healthy testosterone levels, not without treatment anyway.

What makes you ask?

Feel free to pm me if you want to pick my brains further, don’t want to totally derail this guys thread.

:slight_smile:

I have that! (secondary Hypogonadism). Originally the docs thought it must be due a tumour causing my underachievement pituitary gland, but it turns out that I have no tumour. Nor have I ever experienced blunt trauma, surgery, or an infection that could cause adult onset Hypopituitarism. It only affects my FSH and ADH.

Well this thread is fascinating. There’s a lot of sex chat on here…if you think Huel quashes your libido, try being married!

6 Likes

You need to introduce Huel to the bedroom…better than whipped cream and honey any day. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Old post reference just for the hell of it

4 Likes

Did you get [quote=“saidinsaidar, post:11, topic:7533, full:true”]
I have that! (secondary Hypogonadism). Originally the docs thought it must be due a tumour causing my underachievement pituitary gland, but it turns out that I have no tumour. Nor have I ever experienced blunt trauma, surgery, or an infection that could cause adult onset Hypopituitarism. It only affects my FSH and ADH.
[/quote]

Did you get it sorted? Treatment?

More or less, on testosterone and Desmopressin for the rest of my life but never mind, it could be worse :slight_smile:

Good, at least it’s getting sorted, although you should be on Clomid or HCG not Testosterone, but I won’t go there if it’s all working out well. If it’s any consolation I’m on trt too, I’m however primarily hypogonadal.

I expect that the HCG is likely what I’ll end up on when it comes to fertility issues that are likely present, but as I’m not planning on having kids for another couple of years, they’ve said that we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it I think.

But yeah, at least I have some sense of normality now, which is good.

1 Like

Good, at least you feel well, the reason I mentioned hcg is there will be nothing wrong with “down there” if it’s secondary, however, endocrinologists totally forget this and thus unnecessary sacrifice fertility by plonking guys who are secondary on testosterone, luckily the current consensus is HCG will act as a temporary undo button, and resume natural production again.

How lucky that a fellow Hueler who saw your post just happened to be an expert on the subject matter! If only all our discussions went like this one :joy:

On a separate note, I feel like nobody has mentioned psychology too much, is there any chance the OPs issue was not strictly a physical issue? Switching to Huel can’t be the only change in someone’s life, and even if it is trying to regulate a new diet could be stressful, and stress never helps much in the bedroom

3 Likes