Huel + Erectile Dysfunction

Wow this is like reading a copy of Lancet lol :joy:

Had to look up what that even is :joy::joy:

But yeah I see your point…

I’ve been using huel for a little over 2 months and can say I have noticed a dramatic DECREASE in my sex drive. Not sure if it’s the main cause however I eat a healthy diet outside of huel don’t drink or smoke and have good testosterone levels. I’m 5’9 145lbs 35 and can run a mile in 5:20 so I’d say I’m in pretty good shape compared to most people.

More concerning is I met a gorgeous women a week ago and have not been able to get it up for her, very concerning as this has never been an issue before!!! The only major change in my lifestyle has been my intake of Huel at about 60% of my diet. I have lost about 5-10lbs in 2 months my guess is I’m consuming less sugar and overall calories bc Huel keeps me feeling full. Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas about what could be causing this problem!?!?

Nice user name! :wink:

What you’ll find is that cutting calories can impact sex drive quite severely, and also testosterone, which is the point I was attempting to raise a while back, it’s not the huel that’ll low Sex drive it’ll be the miss calculation of calorie intake.

Flaxseeds actually have been shown the be extremely healthy for the for arteries, penile health and possibly clearing plague.

Here’s a well written article on the topic, by Lee Myer, who is another TRT/mens hormone health enthusiast much like myself.

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Flaxseed_Clear_Arteries.aspx

2 Likes

Get me those flax seeds, anything that helps clear the plague is a winner for me :wink:

LOL

6 Likes

This is an interesting post. I found this thread by Googling flaxseed and ED out of curiosity after speaking to one of the guys from the research department where I work. I’m part of a legal team working for a global food producer. I’m not actually allowed to say who, but suffice to say it’s large enough to have it’s own research team and lab. One of the areas of study is the effect of certain foods on hormone levels within the body, with one particular study focusing on flaxseed and its effect on men. Why would a food production company be interested in studying this? One word: litigation! As you can imagine, we sell to some highly litigious markets (think USA), so imagine if a food we produce is later proven to mess with a man’s sex drive or performance; it could have serious financial and brand damaging consequences.

Research are following up on a paper published in 2012 by a Brazilian research team that studied the effects of prolonged consumption of flaxseed flour (in rats). Here’s the link: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691512006199
So basically, the paper found that chronic consumption of flaxseed does cause hormonal changes in male rats - not a reduction in testosterone, but an increase in estradiol.

So how does estradiol affect male libido, erectile function etc.? Studies are inconclusive, some say it has a negative effect, others a positive! This paper summarises various findings:

Anyway, my research friend says that their team speculate that the mechanisms of male sexual function are so complicated with multiple dependencies, that it’s difficult to say one particular variable causes x or y. Sample sizes for every study done on the subject are just too small to be statistically meaningful, and even if you look at the chemistry/ biology, there are still too many unknowns to prove a hypothesis - either using statistics or current knowledge of the workings of the human body.

Having said all that, however, there is enough empirical and anecdotal evidence to suggest that in some people, dietary hormone mimicking supplements do mess with delicate processes of the body, including sexual function. My friend will avoid products containing soy and flaxseed. He certainly wouldn’t consume them on a daily basis. Personally,I’ve never tried Huel, but I’m trusting the science guy and I’ll give it a miss!

1 Like

True dat…

I found this thread after experiencing intermittent ED over the past two and a half years, and searching for anything that could be the cause in desperation. It varied in severity and sometimes I would be completely fine, while at others I would struggle to get or maintain an erection.

I put it down to psychological factors, and aging (I was approaching 40 when it first happened), and tried various lifestyle changes to improve matters but none worked. I was already fit and healthy, non-smoker, only rarely drinking - all I could do really was work on relaxation, meditation, that sort of thing, but none helped.

After reading this thread, I made the connection that I had started taking Huel at around the same time, so I got a blood test and stopped taking Huel. In the month since stopping I have felt my performance gradually return to normal. When I got my blood test results back they showed excellent levels of testosterone - but above normal levels of SHBG (70 nmol/L), which would have the tendency to render the testosterone largely ineffective and would explain the frequent problems with ED.

I’m going to see how things are after another month and then get another blood test. I’ll report back what the numbers are.

1 Like

Yes please…

@JamesCollier any version without flaxseed in the near future? I am starting to get paraoid about this

I don’t think there is soy in Huel.
Also, without flaxseed, they would need another source of fibre, fat and omega3’s

Where do you see soy?

Could anyone confirm that Huel doesnt have any soy?

Just checked and seems that doesnt have soy. Flaxseed could be great to be replaced

What for though?
Flax are a great source of fibre and omega fatty acids

Im getting paranoid about how it affects man to their libido, the testosterone and energy. If an ingredient of Huel causes that I am out

For the final time… Flax. Isn’t. The. Cause.

3 Likes

I know nothing about flax, but after a month and a half of Huel libido is still here. What I miss is a girlfriend, but I don’t think Huel will ever be able to add one in the package. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Being married causes the loss of labido !
:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

Huel doesn’t have the effect on me … but being slightly slimmer has increased bedtime activity :+1:

3 Likes

I’m going to say that if there is an effect it seems to be rare. Most people report the opposite, and I’m still not completely sure of the cause in my own case.

Secondly, even if there is an effect - which is by far from certain - it is completely reversible and not worth being paranoid about.

There’s no soya in Huel.

Flax has loads of health benefits. There’s an article on this coming soon. @NatalieOfficialHuel has researched and written it, it’s with me for proofing - apologies, I’m very behind on my workload. The crux is, one could actually argue there’s actually protection from flax, but more to come!

I’m not removing a nutritious ingredient to the potential detriment of Huel’s excellent nutrition based on pseudoscience. If we used another ingredient, I’m sure some people would find issues that that too.

8 Likes