Huel on tv

I’ve just watched the programme…it’s just what DG does…I found it hilarious…admittedly as Marcus says it is not my business he is ripping the piss out of, and also it wasn’t anywhere near as offensive as I expected…and the ideal of me being a hipster is funny too (more offensive than being called a C*** TBH). :wink:

It would be interesting to know if it has driven any more traffic to the Huel website, I know that if I had not heard of Huel I would have headed straight there, as I have with things he has discussed in previous series, and I think he generally has an inquisitive audience so would be interesting to know if there was an increase in hits over past 48 hours.

Lets face it, there have been some mighty unfavourable reviews of Huel too. As I stated months ago I first heard of it in an Easyjet inflight magazine, and even though that review called it Gruel (as DG did too) it still inspired me to try it, and I’ve been buying it ever since I did.

6 Likes

I haven’t watched what you guys are talking about and won’t. Don’t need to drive up viewership for crap TV anymore than it already is and Dave Gorman is a twat who just mocks stuff.

But I think part of why they say there’s no such thing as bad publicity is that people talking about a thing gets other people talking about a thing and if a product is good, the fact that it’s good will rise above the noise. And Huel is a very good product. I’ve directly got half a dozen people onto Huel, and who knows who they’ll pass the message onto. And if more than half a dozen people actually take Dave Gorman seriously, then those are probably people that wouldn’t have been Huel types anyway =]

Yes it would be interesting to know if you’ve had more visitors and if any of those clicks have turned into sales.

I can’t be offended by the hipster accusation.I couldn’t be any less hip if I tried. I’ve had most of my clothes so long that if they’ve become trendy at some point then it’s pure luck. If he drew up one of his venn diagrams then he’d be far more likely to fall into the hipster category than me.

Dave: Has a beard, lives in London, intelligent, likes the arts (probably), eats granola (almost certainly)
vs
Alan: No beard, northern monkey, likes Sky boxsets, eats nutella with a biscuit out of the jar…and sometimes Huel.

1 Like

One doesn’t eat Huel…one USES Huel. Like Heroin. :wink:

1 Like

According to his 2003 show Googlewhack Adventure, Dave Gorman once spent new years day evening alone in a hotel room eating a pot noodle with a toothbrush. So he’s perhaps not best placed to judge other people’s food choices.

But anyway, the main incorrect assumption he made was that Huel replaces all food, including the enjoyable meals. He didn’t realise that most people don’t replace all their food with Huel, only the meal times when they are in a rush. Even the founder of Huel is not on 100% Huel. We Huelers can still enjoy tasty meals when we have time for them.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s one of the things I don’t get. I get most of my nutrients from Huel because calorie for calorie, this stuff is loaded with high grade nutrients and a couple of months into this little experiment and I’ve never felt better. So I’m very keen to keep these good times rolling. Efficiency, practicality, and optimal numbers taste good to me.

But you know what happens when I want a delicious meal with my girlfriend?

I make one.

People act like this is some kind of prescription where you’re either 100% giving up all food forever or terrible things will happen. No. It’s more nutritious than basically everything and is a ridiculously good convenience food. Nothing more, nothing less.

9 Likes

I think that’s what most of us think, but to those who don’t eat Huel it can be a little odd. Very few use it 100% as far as I can tell…

1 Like

When I first found out about Soylent in 2013 I thought it was daft. So I was in the same situation Dave Gorman was when he found out about Huel. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that DG may indeed get into Huel at a later date. Opinions are not etched in stone for all eternity.

4 Likes

Can you answer the Facebook comments and emails one day? A guest feature. We’ll brand it as a Facebook Takeover where potential customers can talk to actual customers.

Also, this should be a new slogan for the new year:

Ridiculously good convenience food. Nothing more, nothing less.

I’ll pitch it to Julian.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen this episode but it sounds quite disappointing. I like Dave Gorman and his humour but this sounds like a cheap laugh at the expense not just of a small start up but also 4 customers.

1 Like

Huel was also on the BBC in the same week - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0854qpn/bbc-business-live-15122016

Starts at 15.55 mins.

4 Likes

That was a bit more balanced. You came over well there.

1 Like

They were a little annoying in their interview style, especially at the beginning…better when they settled into it. Good interview though

2 Likes

It can’t be easy dealing with most people’s initial attitude to the product. Good job Julian. I agree with Alan that you came across well. Shame they didn’t have more time & inclination to look a little deeper at the product. I was surprised they played up the issue of the added micro nutrients being unnatural. I do wish more people had a basic grasp of chemistry.

3 Likes

Great interview. You responded to their questions much better than I would have been able to.

2 Likes

Haha, good idea! I’d be down =]

And in fact, I’m pretty sure I have done a little bit of that in the comment section over there already lol.

And you guys are welcome to the tagline. Merry Christmas!

Thank you guys, public is certainly not one of favourite things.

1 Like

Well, you are passionate and knowledgeable about your product, so that gives you a huge advantage over anyone who is clueless.

1 Like

The look on the presenters face when he takes a slug of the Huel was quite funny, I’m not sure he’ll be trying any again :slight_smile:

His face may have said otherwise, but by all accounts he quite liked it:

5 Likes