Huel on tv

Dave Gorman just featured Huel on Goodish. He thinks the Huel team are Huge Talents apparently.

Hipster Gruel; he wasn’t impressed. I hope it’s true that there’s no such thing as bad publicity. At least he thinks there is a place for Huel, even if it is restricted to submarines, space travel & the developing world.

4 Likes

One of my friends just mentioned it. I think it’s on Dave ain’t it?

Found it if anybody is interested (you need to register).

I don’t think it’ll do any harm.

It was pretty funny to be fair.

I used to like Dave Gorman when he was on national TV, now he has been push out to Dave I didn’t even know he was still around until last night.

It’s a bit of shame that he has turned into such a negative critic. The world has enough critics already. In the wise words of Anton Ego…

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.

I don’t mine intelligent debate but Dave’s humour what below what we see daily on facebook, but we are used to it and can take it.

But when he starts to calling people c–ts it’s beyond being an critic and shows that he has lost his ability to be a good comedian. And to pick out our Huelers who gave their time for free and their honest opinion is below the belt.

The good news is he didn’t get many laughs, a lot of the time the audience looked interested in Huel.

It’s very disappointing when we are small startup who are genuinely trying to make the world a better place and to solve one of the world’s great problems (how to feed a growing population without destroying the planet) that he attempts to ruin our business. Maybe he thinks we are a big business but at just 9 people we are young and this sort of unintelligent criticism could result in job loses or worst. Startups are fragile.

For your information Dave…
The world population is 7 billion and will grow to 9.7 billion by 2050. We can’t carry on the way we are, if everyone ate a western diet we would be in big trouble. We throw away 30% of all food, we use meat as a primary food source which is inefficient, often inhumane, and unsustainable. Did you know it takes 7kg of grain to make 1kg of meat in the UK and USA. Livestock is responsible for more greenhouse gases than all the cars and planes in the world combined. Have a read of this - http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/2

As a population we have made food so delicious that we crave it, get addicted to it, and over consume it. The result is that over 64% of adults are overweight or obese and obesity related conditions are on the increase. Over 4 million people have diabetes, and over 15 million are classed as borderline diabetics. Did you know that “Obesity reduces life expectancy by an average of three years, or eight to ten years in the case of severe obesity. Around 8% of annual deaths in Europe (at least one in 13) have been attributed to overweight and obesity. The cost to the UK economy of overweight and obesity was estimated at £15.8 billion per year in 2007, including £4.2 billion in costs to the NHS”. National Obesity Observatory (Brand Profile)

Plus we live increasingly busy lives. People don’t always have access to a kitchen or the time to buy, prep, cook and clean up, or have the knowledge to ensure they are getting all the essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, or the 26 essential vitamins and mineral in the correct amounts just from whole food. These are some of the issues of not getting all your vitamins and minerals - What are the 27 essential vitamins and minerals? – Huel - sure you can use vitamins tables but absorption is usually best when spread throughout the day.

Huel contains all the essential amino acids, essential fatty acids, fibre, phytonutrients, and at least 100% of the European Union’s “Daily Recommended Amounts” of all 26 essential vitamins and minerals​. Huel is high in protein (148g per 2000 calories) and fibre (35g), just 4.6g of sugar per 2000 calories, is made from sustainable ingredients (oats, pea protein, rice protein, flaxseed, sunflower, coconut, plus a bespoke vitamin and mineral blend), 100% vegan (better for the environment and animals), requires minimal packaging and has a shelf-life of 12 months (so zero food waste), has a low GI 27, and is filling.

So when compared to the average western diet Huel will:

• Save time (yes you are allowed to use for other things than just work!!)
  • Provide 100% nutrition - not as easy as it sounds unless you have a lot of knowledge and have a large spreadsheet to ensure you are getting all 26 essential vitamins and minerals in the correct amounts, essential amino acids (especially if you are vegan) and all essential fatty acids)
  • Contain less sugar
  • Be lower GI
  • Vegan whilst still provide a great amino acid profile
  • Will reduce food waste
  • Kill less animals and reduce inhumane treatment of animals
  • Reduce greenhouse gases
  • Reduce packaging
  • Make calorie counting very easy and precise
  • Contains MCTs
  • Contains no allergens (gluten free version)
  • Contains potent antioxidant such as Lycopene
  • Contains Lutein which have prevent macular degeneration of the eye in the elderly
10 Likes

…so, in summary, you weren’t amused then?

I think the point he was making was that eating proper food is one of the things that makes modern life good(ish).

People will have their own opinion but now more people know about Huel which should be good for you.

He didn’t call you C*nts… as such.

1 Like

We just thought it was all quite low brow from a comedian that in the past has made very intelligent and funny comments. Dave just resorted to name calling which wasn’t that funny.

I want to reiterate that calling out Albert, Feras, Paul and Meredith in the video and mocking us through them live on TV was awful.

Those 4, and all of the customers that gave their time that day, are absolutely amazing people that love Huel. They were paid nothing, gave their entire day and went away with nothing apart from a bag of Huel. Dave could have made a million more jokes about us, but insulting those individuals on TV was not acceptable. We can take it, I am concerned that perhaps those customers should not be forced to take it.

I was so grateful to them and am so sorry I have subjected them to that. If they read this, then please accept my sincerest apology. For the record we had nothing to do with this feature on Dave and had no idea it was going ahead until a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

@Alan_Featherstone Oh come on, yes he did.

This is what he said after taking about how me made the name Huel from combing Human and Fuel “these people really are a bunch of hunts, they really are.”

Huge Talents.

Admittedly, it’s funnier when it’s not aimed at you. I was a bit worried something I’d written in the forum might show up, that wouldn’t have been funny at all of course.

You should watch the rest of the series, it’s very good.

“I’ve tried Huel, it’s like consuming post apocalyptic desolation”…was about the only humorous comment on twitter after the event.

I’ve not seen the episode yet, so can’t comment, but have watched every other episode and enjoyed them (and recorded this one). I’ve seen him live too. “Hunts” is the sort of puerile humour I would laugh at I’m afraid, even though I am on board with the product.

I certainly expect to see some humour in this, and after all Huel is a pretty strange concept for most people who’s idea of food may be a few pints and a kebab…but then again I am a vegan and people have been taking the piss out of me for that for 30 years.

4 Likes

Re the c*nts joke, the format was of the familiar imply one meaning, leave audience hanging, get laugh, reveal the less offensive meaning & get bigger laugh. The humour comes from the fact that while both meanings fit, everyone involved knows the unsaid real meaning. This additionally gives the audience a sense of belonging, of being in on the joke & simultaneously avoids breaking broadcast rules on what is permissible to say on air. Hence why it’s a common tactic for such a jibe.

That joke & attacking the guys in the promo vid (whom I imagined were enthusiastic customers) were the parts I thought were in poor taste. That & his dismissal of the possibility the product could have any real value, though of course he doesn’t claim to be offering a balanced review. That said, he does have a preachy “look at what’s wrong with the world” style which I was starting to get tired of. Maybe he’s just running short of material.

Overall I was disappointed, but also surprised at how much material he got out of Huel. Including his Spunes idea (speed tunes: music with all the notes played at once, because with our busy lifestyles we don’t have time to consume music the old fashioned way…) it must have filled most of the show.

BTW Dave, if you ever read this while sourcing another found poem, try this on: As someone with clinical depression who is also a full time carer Hule lets me get nourishment on days when I otherwise wouldn’t bother feeding myself. It’s been a lifesaver & virtually eliminated the gastric pain & IBS symptoms I was having. Hule is a good fit for many people for many reasons.

If your programme harms the small startup behind Hule, I hope you realise what you’ve done you mucking stunt. Of course, I should add IANAL.

5 Likes

I think he has plenty of material…and he is a funny guy…a bit too full of himself, but he can be a prick at times…he got really annoyed at a live show once, when he showed the tattoo of his american driving licence tattoo, and asked audience members if they wanted to touch it to see if it was true…when a few went to do so he got angry that they didn’t believe it was real. This may have been a gag, but he seemed genuinely pissed off. If he was, then he should be a bit more careful when attacking people in the promo vid. I still haven’t seen it, so will reserve judgement until then.

@Michael_Rozdoba luckily dave is not as funny as was, which is why he has been relegated to Dave. The good news is that being a minor channel it’s unlikely that the 12 viewers will hurt the business too much.

1 Like

I think the channel name, like Huel and “Hunt” is made using word combination:

D(oesn’t)AVEmanyviwers.

1 Like

@hunzas genius!

Well, considering the offence it seemed to have caused, I was half expecting something really bad to happen, like Dave dragging somebody who was wearing a Huel t-shirt out of the audience and then physically attacking them on stage. Instead, I enjoyed most of the episode, and was left wondering when the really offensive bit was about to start.

I didn’t find the Huel section particularly offensive, just misjudged and incorrect. I just kept thinking, “Dave, you’re wrong.”

But then I have been a fan of Dave Gorman for many years anyway. And let’s not forget, ripping the piss out of things is what comedians do. But I can also totally understand the owner of a business being extra sensitive to that if it’s aimed at them, and I applaud the passion you have for your product.

Being one of Huel’s top fans, I find it highly doubtful that any existing customers will be put off by watching this. And anyone who has not heard of Huel before may even be curious enough to check it out after watching it. So all in all, I don’t think there’s really anything to be worried about.

Peace :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

You see what you’ve done there is you’ve analyzed and explained a joke that was already instantly understood by everyone.

We understand how comedy works but it’s really just to make you laugh, you shouldn’t over analyze.

In response to Julian you wrote “He didn’t call you C*nts… as such.”

He did. I posted the explanation for your benefit. Glad you didn’t need it, good on you.

1 Like

He didn’t.

Unsaid.

I don’t care if he said it, wrote it on a billboard or painted a picture, he communicated the idea in a manner that was in your words:

I’m done on this issue. Hope you have a good Xmas, if that’s your thing. Sláinte.

1 Like