Huel Round 2 - Trying the GF

I tried Huel about 4-5 months ago and got to replacing about 80% to 100% of my meals for a few weeks. I didn’t taper up and jumped straight in.

I was loving the convenience and lost a bit of weight along the way which was great.

Then I started getting terrible toilet troubles - extreme bad gas, constipation, etc.

So I stopped. Went to the doctors and they did some tests and said all was well.

Started taking probiotics and it went back to normal, but stayed off the Huel.

Am now starting again with the Gluten Free Huel and will start off slowly with 1 x 120g / 500 kcal drink a day, for a week, then have 2 x 120g, then the third week go to 3x.

I’m still taking probiotics so hopefully that along with a slower start will avoid some problems.

My main goal is to replace the rubbish I eat during the day and hopefully lose a few KG along the way and be better fuelled for exercise.

Started on Thursday 7 July with 1 portion, so will switch to 2 on Thursday 14 if all goes well.

It’s hard taking such a small amount at a time, as it’s not that filling at only 120g, but will stay low for the first week until I can double down.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the problems. How have you been getting along?

Sounds like you are doing all the sensible things. All our bodies are different and some have a lot more to say than others’ bodies. Hope it is all going well now.

Thanks. About 4 days and some of the old problems are creeping back in again!

Will keep taking the probiotics and sticking with 1 Huel a day for a bit longer and see if my body acclimatises.

Is been about a week.

I went up to 150g per portion. 1 portion a day to make it a bit more filing. Around lunch time.

Guts are getting quite bad now.

Lots of pungent wind from the late afternoon / early evening.

Nearly finished the first bag so will start on bag 2 but will stick to 1x150g a day.

Could I be ‘alergic’ to the high protein?

I’ve had similar problem with whey shakes in the past but thought it was something to do with milk/lactose?

Still taking the probiotic.

Could low stomach acid levels be causing the problems?

WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU
Stomach acid or hydrochloric acid (HCl), is a very powerful digestive agent, and much more important than you realize.

HCl’s important functions include:

Breaking down proteins into the essential amino acids and nutrients your body needs in order to stay healthy.

and

SYMPTOMS OF LOW STOMACH ACID
Here are some of the common symptoms and disorders caused by low stomach acid1,3:

Bloating, belching, and flatulence immediately after meals

Apparently Betaine HCI can help rectify this - has anyone tried it?

Thanks.

Its only been one day but I seem to have turned a corner (touch wood).

Have been having 1 tbsp of apple vinegar in a very small amount of water about 15-30 mins before eating anything - Huel included - and yesterday had no tummy troubles.

Still only on one Huel serving a day but will stick with that for a few more days and see how it goes.

Will see how it holds up today and whether it is the vinegar of just a fluke.

1 Like

Interested to hear about your test. I too have a bit of trouble, severe bloating, stinky pumps and difficult poohs. I think I have a gluten intolerance so gonna try gluten free next.

Is apple vinegar available in supermarkets I’ve never heard of it?

Yes, it’s worth a try.

Apparently, the raw organic stuff is best, which you can get from Amazon.

But I’ve just been using the stuff from Tesco which is Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar 350Ml for £1.70.

I’ve been putting 1 tbsp in a very small amount of water so as not to dilute it much, then having that about 15 mins before eating anything, including Huel.

1 Like

Yesterday wasn’t great.

Not sure if the effect of the vinegar is wearing off or it was something else I ate.

Ordered some Now Foods Betaine HCl and Solgar Vegan Digestive Enzymes Tablets which can also help break down proteins and sort out stomach (acid) problems, apparently.

Hopefully, these should sort it out! Still got nearly 1 full bag of Huel left.

Its getting worse!

Had my first day of the second round with 2x huel in one day today.

Wind is alrwady stinking out the house. Gonna stop the huel now.

Not sure how long the enzymes are supposed to take to kick in? Hopefully I can get back to some normality!

Has anyone tried adding insoluble fibre to help to increase regularity?