Huel Tastes Horrible

Yes I never thought anyone would consider it straight up. This is what it says on the product page:

due to customer demand we have launched an Unflavoured & Unsweetened version. **This version does have a chalky and earthy taste which is certainly not to everyone’s liking. Most people will need to add a flavour (sweet or savoury) and/or sweetener. If you intend to try Huel for the first time we suggest you start with Vanilla, it’s far tastier and requires no additional sweetener or flavour.**The good news is that this version is totally customisable and does open the possibility of a savoury Huel. Some ideas include - curry, fruit, vegetable stock, etc. You will find some more ideas here: How to add extra flavours.

The idea of drinking sweet vanilla every day is not appealing to me, I went straight for the unflavoured version hoping for the most neutral taste, which I could flavour at will. However, I’ve become quite fond of it and just enjoy it as-is. I don’t think its like cardboard, it is just like thin ReadyBrek to me (which I grew up on, unsweetened, go figure :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I re-tasted the unflavoured yesterday and it’s not as bad as I first remember.

The current version of vanilla Huel is quite neutral, too. It taste of sweet vanilla, but only mildly. It’s just enough to make it pleasant, but not so much as to be too noticeable all the time. It means I don’t particularly crave it, but I can happily drink it throughout the day and find it a moderately agreeable experience without getting sick of it.

Whereas when I add strawberry flavouring to the vanilla Huel, then I kind of crave it more.

1 Like

Very, very unethical.

This was an individual’s title to his thread, that he created. It wasn’t libelous.

If you want to ask OP to change the title of his thread, that’s creepy, and Big Brother like, but still acceptable.

Editing someone else’s thread goes against the very essence of Discourse. Honestly, better to just create your own blog, and accept or deny people’s entries, rather than edit at your whim.

3 Likes

Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill, @Ric, please. Of all the unethical things that could happen in the world, adding an additional word to a forum thread title so that it is a better description of the thread’s contents is pretty far down the list (so far down, you can’t even see it). It can easily be changed back anyway. Relax, we’re all still alive and nothing bad has actually happened.

But what was it you said a few months back about it being better to use a PM if you don’t like someone’s behaviour on the forum? If the OP, Julian or James were to send me a PM asking me to switch it back to how it was and to never do that again, I would do that straight away. But that hasn’t happened, even after I said I would be happy to switch it back. So it turns out that what I did caused no problem whatsoever, other than for you. You yourself haven’t even said that the old title was a better fit for the thread contents, so it’s just the principle you have a problem with. But if that goes against what the forum is about, why does that function even exist?

@Ric - I don’t feel it’s unethical; it’s merely reinforcing clarity

1 Like

Have been through four bags of the flavored vanilla. Decided to try the unflavored for my last recent order given concerns on bloating/heartburn.

First portion, Not liking it at all.
Added a banana, blackberries, still not getting any flavor and the texture is so chalky still. Vanilla one with a banana was a perfect combination, not for this one.

Any further suggestions?

We have a section on improving flavour here:

http://huel.com/pages/how-to-use-huel#flavour

I talk to a lot of customers so hear a fair bit of what they say. Some add bananas and berries as you’ve done. Others add our flavours, some are very keen on the my protein flavour drops:

I’ve talked to people who like adding honey, milk to change the texture, cinnamon powder, coffee granules, almond/rice milk, I think one person says they enjoy coconut oil as well. It varies from person to person, so playing around with it seems to be the best thing to do.

How many “huel is great” threads have been retitled for clarity??
Maybe time you guys looked into social media awareness because you just put your foot in it. If someone wants to post that huel tastes horrible in the experiences forum then just let them. Your audience is intelligent enough to understand that it is one persons view, yet you underrate us by trying to ‘clarify’ for us at the expense of valuing our opinions. That’s really lame and you (huel) should have just left it entirely alone.

3 Likes

@sanovine I really don’t understand why specifying the product a person is talking about is really lame, it’s just clear, it helps other find a post about the product they are interested in. It has nothing to do with under rating you or your opinion. I totally love and welcome open debate.

Hi @sanovine

Although sometimes altering a thread title may not be right, in this case I disagree with you. Many people do not read thread contents, they just scan the titles and reading a title like it was would give a wrong impression to these people.

How can there be a “wrong” impression in a forum called “experiences”?? how? What wrong impression might we get?

The only impression being given as far as I can see is that from the huel staff who have made it abundantly clear that we’re welcome to debate and comments as long as it is in line with what huel considers ok, otherwise you get “clarified”.

You have a good product, most people like it, we all understand that it’s not for everyone, so be confident in yourselves and don’t worry that an occasional negative review comes in.

2 Likes

Sure. So if people just scan the titles, then like @sanovine points out, someone should go back and alter all the thread titles. “I love Huel” should be changed to “I love Vanilla Huel.” Etc.

Not to mention, this is not an objective, fact-based thread. It is a subjective post in the “Experiences” thread.

Clearly Huel does not taste horrible to the majority of us. But if the OP thinks Huel tastes horrible, he posted his subjective opinion in the correct thread; a thread created for such reviews.

2 Likes

You do have a point and it certainly would be clear.

@sanovine maybe my passion for Huel makes me unreasonable sometimes. It’s my baby and maybe I’m too protective. Thank you for the feedback and keeping me in line. :smile: I will try not to worry, so much.

4 Likes

I’m really sorry you feel this way. I can assure that it’s not the case. I also feel that we’ve made it abundantly clear that we welcome all debate by allowing many negative comments in other threads. Indeed, we welcome negative comments and we’ve responded to many of these.

Please do let us know if there are any issues you’re unhappy with - this includes feedback on how we respond to members of this forum :smile:

1 Like

Just to be clear, it was not Huel staff that renamed the title, it was me. I’m not Huel staff. I don’t know who changed it back though. That wasn’t me.

I never intended to cause any trouble though. Still, what fun we’re all having debating it. Keeps us from rioting on the streets :smile:

If this is the worst thing that happens on here, this place it doing quite well. This is a really tame forum, especially compared to most YouTube comments sections, for example.

1 Like

I think there are different kinds of people. There are “rules is rules” people. And there are people that like to look at an individual case and decide what’s right.

That’s what there difference of opinion here is. Neither view is necessarily right. They’re just different approaches.

1 Like

haha, the thread that will never die.

1 Like