Huel v3.0 - Seaweed smell - New version coming soon?

@David I don’t hate dolphins I hate humans and I would rather eat super healthy kelp than humans

You’re a monster.

Although that kelp is evil too. Promoting the consumption of its own species.

On the kelp inclusion, what steps are taken to standardise the iodine content now kelp is used?

I am worried because the British Dietetic Association say the following:

“Do not use seaweed or kelp supplements as an iodine source. This is because the amount of iodine in such supplements can vary considerably from the value claimed on the label and can provide excessive quantities of iodine.”

and

“Seaweed is a concentrated source of iodine, but it can provide excessive amounts (particularly so in the case of brown seaweed such as kelp) and therefore eating seaweed more than once a week is not recommended, especially during pregnancy.”

Source: https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/iodine_facts

Would it not be safer to use the traditional iodine sources which seem well researched, and confirmed safe (similar with the kombucha vs. better researched vitamin B sources). Speaking personally I would always prefer the best researched and safest ingredients, regardless of whether they are natural or artificial.

I’ve ordered V3 for now but the above does concern me a lot. I can see the V2.3 is only “whilst stocks last” - will there likely be any revision of V3 before the stocks run out?

2 Likes

Good luck ODing on iodine when Kelp makes up 0.03% of the product.

3 Likes

http://www.seaweedhealthfoundation.org.uk/standards

I wonder if their supplier follows the sort of standards as shown in this link.

A lot of work goes into choosing the right supplier in the first place that is able to provide not only the right product but a consistent product. On top of their sourcing and testing we do our own testing of the kelp and of the final product so we know that the iodine provided is correct.

The BDA’s statement is correct for supplements because supplements are poorly regulated and the quality of one company to another varies massively.

Yeap this is exactly what we want, an ingredient that is high in a particular nutrient to keep costs down and increase sustainability. The rest of the quote is if you consume iodine above the recommended limit, which is possible whatever the source of iodine. You can see the nutritional information of Huel per 2000kcal provides 100% of the RDA. The safe upper limit is over 3 times that.

They sure do, in fact they were involved in creating the Nutritious Food Seaweed certification.

5 Likes

Phew, this thing went wayy longer than I expected it to.

With loads of people telling that the amount of kelp is minuscule, I am tempted to ask if anyone has noticed a difference in smell of the product? If so what do you think its from ? (Please note that this is for Banana flavour). I did ask a few other Huel using friends of mine and they all think it smells much different to the v2.3 banana. Anything that one would think causes the drastic change in the smell?

1 Like

Sorry Kiran for not answering your original post.

I’ve just had v3.0 banana for breakfast and I can’t notice any flavour difference from v2.3.

It’s possible that there’s an issue with your particular pouch, I haven’t heard of any other reports of this.

The best thing to do if you have any left is to send it back to us so we can do some internal testing to see if anything is off.

We can send you out a new pouch of banana from a different batch if you’d like?

Drop me a message and with the batch number and best before (both on the back of the pouch bottom right) and we can sort this out.

1 Like

Thanks @Dan_Huel :slight_smile: I dont know what it is about the 2 pouches I had.
I threw one of it away hoping the second bag would be different but unfotunately they both are from the same batch and smell the same. I am on my second bag just now and trying to work through it :slightly_frowning_face:

I think the batch number is 15651/15551?
Not sure but the image is here -> Huel v3.0 - Seaweed smell - New version coming soon?

How do you suggest we take this forward?

1 Like

I recommend sending that pouch back to us at:

Daniel Clarke
Unit 6, Icknield Way Industrial Estate, Icknield Way, Tring HP23 4RN

Please take a photo of your proof of postage and message it to me with your last order number and we will refund you the postage costs.

2 Likes

Cheers @Dan_Huel

I will try to send back the bag of Huel that I am currently on with the reference of this thread on it.
I will send it back as soon as I can this week.

I had spoken to someone on Chat a couple of weeks earlier about this but sadly I only have an email chat with a zendesk reference - 283396.

Thanks again

1 Like

I was sure Huel would have been careful in how they sourced their seaweed. Great to hear that is the case! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks Dan! Very reassuring.

1 Like