Huel with a stoma

Hi, I am starting to use huel to try and regulate my diet and get the nutrients and vitamins I need every day, hopefully to be healthier with increased energy. I have crohn’s disease and a stoma and wonder if anyone else on here has any experience of the possible effects that this might have for me? If not I’m happy to share my experiences witb you guys!

1 Like

Hi, I’ve had a stoma for almost 8 years after my colon was removed because of an aggressive onslaught of Crohn’s in my mid 20s. I’ve been drinking Huel for well over 18 months now and I love it! I drink it mixed with milk but also occasionally with water depending on how thick I want it and how many calories per serving.
It makes your output very consistent in thickness and texture too although to begin with it’s also really smelly! That seems to reduce over the first week though.
A word of caution though: I’ve been pretty much asymptomatic since my operation - I can eat whatever I want without triggering my Crohn’s (my symptoms were always limited to my colon). So I can’t say with any certainty that it won’t trigger your Crohn’s as everyone’s is different.

2 Likes

Thanks Tom, sounds like you’re in a similar position to me! Looking forward to seeing how I get on with it

1 Like

Huel is suitable for people who have had part of their intestine removed and a stoma. Huel can provide a valuable source of nutrition, especially as some of the micronutrients may not be absorbed fully.

Stoma output is likely to be influenced by the amount of fluid consumed and drunk. We suggest that Huel is blended well (rather than using the shaker) and consumed in small volumes spread through the day, as tolerated.

1 Like

Thanks James, two days in and I’m having no problems but I’ll consider getting a blender. I’m using it for 2 out of 3 meals a day at the moment as with my job it’s a bit of a faff to do smaller more frequent servings. I’ll try this if I encounter any issues. I appreciate the advice!

1 Like