I lost 6 kilograms the first 10 days Using Huel

When I first put together my plan, I decided on a 5:2 diet, which is a diet which stipulate calories restrictions for two non-consecutive days a week and unconstrained eating the other five days.

Specifically, my diet so far has been 5 days eating 1,400-calories in which 1,230 are from Huel (3 meals of 100 grams per meal), and the additional calories from coffee. The other 2 days include 410 calories from Huel. Originally I planned on eating 5 times a day but I have found that Huel keeps me full so I opted for just 3 meals a day instead.

So far I have lost 6 kilograms and my body fat percentage is now 21.8%.

Full story on personal blog: http://taimour.net

3 Likes

Thank you! Great to see your regime is going well.

1 Like

6KG loss in 10 days is not healthy. 1KG per week is the upper limit of healthy weight loss. I’d guess you’ve lost a tonne of water weight, but if not be very careful with this rate of loss.

4 Likes

This entirely depends on starting weight and other factors we don’t know. Having a one-size-fits-all upper limit doesn’t make sense with something like this.

You are correct that a lot of it is likely water weight though.

5 Likes

My initial plan was eating 2,220-calories in which 2,050 from Huel. I ended up eating 1,4000-calories; that is 1,400 calories deficit per day. I know this sounds extreme, but I tried water diet in the past! I am trying to follow the original plan now and we’ll see how well it works.

Losing weight is part of my goal, but I’m primarily looking to lower my cholesterol without medication. I plan on having my tests repeated after 30 days of using Huel.

I’m sorry, but that is alarming, there’s no way no matter what your circumstances and build that 6kg in 10 days is healthy, you’ll be burning off muscle/other tissues as well as other possible problems. Add more calories to your diet.

4 Likes

oh my god… that’s such a progress. thank you a lot for posting that, now I’m even more surer what I need to do!

6kg is about 13.5 pounds or just shy of a stone. If you were very fat that isnt to remarkable as you hold a lot of weight but whilst I view the above warnings as verging on hysterical I would add some more calories perhaps 400 more per day and supplement with an absolute minimum 30g of cassein protein to reduce muscle loss as you lose weight. You are also probably going to want to sleep more, listen to your body. And take a multivitamin as huel at 1400kc isnt giving you your RDA

2 Likes

This is a silly topic

Firstly 6kg in 10 days is not good atall, you will be down plenty of water some muscle and a small amount of fat

Secondly it has nothing to do with huel, more the fact youre basically starving yourself on 1400 calories of food, which is way less than any adult male should be ingesting as an absolute minimum, even for a bed ridden person

Eating that few calorie from food will garner you the same effects, but would be equally as stupid

3 Likes

On top of the things mentioned already here, there is a strong direct link to loosing too much weight too fast and the “yo-yo effect”, where it becomes back fast. On to of this once you have had this effect you might be vulnerable to it for the rest of your life.

1 Like

As I stated earlier, my initial plan was eating 2,220-calories in which 2,050 from Huel. I ended up eating 1,4000-calories; that is 1,400 calories deficit per day. I know this is extreme.

Some of you are aggressively criticising me for doing the extreme. The goal of my silly post is to share my experience. It is an expirement after all!

Extremely low calories is wrong? I want to find that myself by expirement. Internet and research papers are full of contradictions especially when it comes to nutrition.

I’m eating 2,200 calories now as per my original plan. My weight is maintained and body fat percentage is still dropping.

2 Likes

Reference: “Very Low-Calorie Diets: What You Need to Know”, available online Are Very Low-Calorie Diets Safe for Weight Loss?.

Very low-calorie diets are not OK for everyone.

A very low-calorie diet may let you lose about 3 to 5 pounds per week, for an average total weight loss of 44 pounds over 12 weeks.

Losing that amount of weight may improve weight-related medical conditions, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.

Very low-calorie-diets are not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, and are not appropriate for children or teens except in specialized treatment programs.

To be healthy, you need a balance of foods from different food groups. It’s difficult to get good nutrition and feel satisfied on a very low-calorie diet.

As per the article, it is difficult to get nutrition and feel satisfied on a very low-calorie diet. Surprisingly, I felt satisfied with Huel and that is the difference.

Some of you said that this has nothing to do with Huel, Eating that few calories from other food will garnet the same effects. Huel is relevant because it has the balance of foods from different food groups that are usually difficult to get on a low-calorie diet. Would I feel satisfied if I ate fewer calories from other food?

A VLCD is sub 800 calories a day therefore not relevant 1400 calories does not class as VLCD but LCD.

Also for people who are diabetic VLCD are perhaps a reversal method for type II diabetes as evidenced in Newcastle trials.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter. Some comments stated that I am starving myself with 1400 calories. So after all, it is not that extreme as some are stating here if vlcd is only 800 calories per day? Assuming I did it only for 10 days and then went back to normal amount of calories.

I don’t think we have enough information there to judge.

If the poster weighed 300 kg, I’d say losing 6 kg per week initially would be quite normal, especially since it would be mostly water loss.

Judging by his pic, he aint 300kg :stuck_out_tongue: More like 80 or 90

I included all the details in my blog. I will post the before and after numbers once I finish the 30 days: weight, body fat%, and blood fat profile.

I lost 6 kgs the first 10 days, but afterwards I started consuming more calories from Huel; up to my daily limit of 2500 calories. Some of the calories are from coffee.

Day 24: I lost 7 kgs, and fat dropped 1.4%.

You are right. My starting weight was 94 kgs.

Its fine to go hell for leather at first but the longer you seriously starve yourself and have a negative nitrogen balance the more you are just stripping lean muscle out of your body and thus reducing your basal metabolic resting rate and doing damage as much as you are helping by losing weight.

1 Like

Whether you are eating enough or too little, it’s really nice to so many people caring for your well being @taimour. Great to know that so many people have a place where others care so much :slight_smile:

Way to go Huelers!

1 Like

Guys intermittent fasting has shown through studies to protect lean body mass while shedding fat even without cutting calories down low, if he is getting the nutrients he needs in which he should be with over a thousand calories its fine if you want to shift fat IF and low calories will garner these results easily some people just get unmotivated losing a pound a week others like myself and probably taimour need to see results quick to stay motivated.

I’m sure taimour will be going towards maintenance once he has shifted what fat he wants from the body.

again its unhealthy is your going under 1200 for men with the nutrients being so low.

Nice one of the fat loss brother.