Introducing v3.1 🖤

Lycopene is an antioxidant. Huel Powder v3.1 contains other antioxidants, both micronutrients (like vitamins C and E and selenium) and phytonutrients like lutein, zeaxanthin (both from the vitamin mineral blend), ferulic acid, avenanthramides, lignans, phytic acid and tocols (all from the ingredients).

1 Like

Thank you James.

So, the only difference between Essential and the “3.1” Huel is the protein / carb ratio and medium-chain triglyceride - resulting in 30% cheaper? Because, if this remains the case, I am not sure if this difference justifies the 30% difference in price?

Edit: Looking at it, it’s either Essential is too cheap or 3.1 is too expensive - unless there are other differences we don’t know about?

Edit 2: Maths are funny. Essential is 30% cheaper per meal than 3.1, but 3.1 is 50% more expensive per meal than Essential.

1 Like

Great, thank you. Does beg the question - why add it in the first place?

So, the only difference between Essential and the “3.1” Huel is the protein / carb ratio and medium-chain triglyceride - resulting in 30% cheaper? Because, if this remains the case, I am not sure if this difference justifies the 30% difference in price?

There are lots of other differences. For example no lutein, no zeaxthanin, cheaper folic acid as opposed to expensive L-methylfolate, only vitamin D2 rather than both D2 plus pricier plant-based D3, the DL-form of vitamin E rather than the D-form, phylloquinone (vitamin K1) rather than mega-expensive MK-7 (K2), cheaper maltodextrin vs. corn starch as the carrier for the vitamin-mineral blend.

The MCT powder does contribute quite a bit of cost and, despite what you think, the point I made about oats drives a lot of the cost difference.

2 Likes

Does beg the question - why add it in the first place?

As I said, we like to innovate which might involve removing as well as adding some ingredients. Moreover, there’s different legislation regarding lycopene’s use in some countries which could lead to potential issues. I didn’t know this when we added it a few years ago.

4 Likes

Thanks again. It seems reasonable enough to me when explained properly.

1 Like

Ok that all makes sense, thanks James.

I think this new similarity between essential and 3.1 has potential to be an issue for you. They’re obviously different enough to have a 51p per 400kcal price difference, but they don’t look it to me as a customer.

1 Like

THIS is the explanation I was after.

Thank you @JamesCollier

1 Like

Wouldn’t it then be appropriate to adjust the nutritional values on the website for Essential? There you find the information that K1+K2 and D2+D3 are included in the vitamins & minerals. That is quite misleading.

1 Like

I tried the suggested replacement of vanilla with espresso once. It ws not a good substitute and had a very unpleasant aftertaste. I am also dismayed at the replacement of cofffee with a sweet alternative.

1 Like

I think this new similarity between essential and 3.1 has potential to be an issue for you. They’re obviously different enough to have a 51p per 400kcal price difference, but they don’t look it to me as a customer.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, clearly we can communicate this better.

Wouldn’t it then be appropriate to adjust the nutritional values on the website for Essential? There you find the information that K1+K2 and D2+D3 are included in the vitamins & minerals. That is quite misleading.

That’s a fair point. I hadn’t seen this. We’ll get that changed. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding the removal of lycopene, it really isn’t essential and the research doesn’t really show it having any benefits in presence of other antioxidants (and good nutrition).

It’s also likely that Huel was sick of receiving feedback “THERE’S BLOOD IN MY HUEL!!!”

1 Like

@Andrew_B more than likely the reason for removing kombucha and pro/pre-biotics is cost related

Hi @Argon18 - just to confirm prebiotics have not been removed from Huel v3.1

The product you should be changing is the b12 and biotin in the black edition as its giving all its user’s acne and boils .

I eat this, I’ve no boils etc! Bold claiming “all its users”.

4 Likes

I got none neither.
Weird! :rofl:

3 Likes

Not all users

What he’s done there is told the Internet he has acne and boils.

Changes are not clear folks! :frowning: