Introducing v3.1 šŸ–¤

Putting the very obvious positive ethical/environmental aspect asideā€¦

Flora is a mass market product. Expecting the majority of their customers to accept an inferior taste so they could cater to a minority was never going to go well.

Their customers are as thick as pig shit then, as Flora managed to change ALL the others in the range without them noticing.

Shrugsā€¦ Depends on which one sells the most doesnā€™t it? Highly likely that their standard Flora is the big seller compared to everything else, so the change would be noticed by more people.

If youā€™re eating pro-active or whatever already then going vegan is probably going to be received more positively than youā€™re average person that just wants some margarine for their toast.

Brands can do lots of things; but they absolutely cannot forget or ignore what their core customers want.

1 Like

The standard seller which is the biggest and best seller has been made vegan and stayed vegan. The one that changed back is a minority offering

Ah ok, itā€™s probably that ā€˜vocal minorityā€™ Iā€™ve read about that bought it - all makes sense now!

HTH and a few more words

Has anyone received the new coffee flavour yet? Reluctant to order as I know Iā€™m not keen on the black and rtd flavours so would be great to get an idea of how it compares to those taste wise, before deciding whether to give up on huel!

My order for chocolate arrived yesterday and was the old 3.0 version it thatā€™s helpful to anyone.

While they have both I donā€™t understand why people canā€™t be offered a choice. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some people who would like to try and the new and cough improved versions and others that are happy to reorder the product theyā€™ve been buying for the last few years while they still can.

Just one question because I am a bit confused about the changes:

In the German webstore it is still possible to order Standard Huel in ā€œCoffeeā€ flavour. But as I understood it, the new formula does no longer contain any ā€œCoffeeā€ flavour, just coffee-caramel. Is that right?

Or have you decided to stay with a standard coffee flavour in Germany?
(I mean in the US store there are also different flavours than in the UK market, so this should be possible, tooā€¦)

Does this coffee flavour contain lycopene?

Thanks for the clarification!

I am also wondering about this - I would like to order the old coffee (due to higher caffeine content), but I donā€™t want to risk it and receive the new one. Can someone confirm which coffee huel is available in EU store?

Unfortunately this is a more complex process for our Logistics than it seems on the face of it, so itā€™s not possible sorry!

The new formula still contains actual coffee powder, but youā€™re right the flavour has been changed from ā€œcoffeeā€ to ā€œcoffee caramelā€.

No, lycopene has been removed from all v3.1 flavours.

Yeah, the more Iā€™m drinking the 3.1 salted caramel, the less Iā€™m liking it. Iā€™ll give the other 3.1 flavours a shot, but itā€™s a real shame. Coming from the 1.0 days and feeling every version was an improvement taste wise to this is going to make me reconsider using it in the future. Will absolutely try other flavours before I get to that point though.

1 Like

Iā€™m a little confused in your earlier comment you said it tasted actually closer to what itā€™s supposed to be (which is a good thing?) but not sweet enough for your taste ā€“ can you not just add something to get it back to the sweetness level you prefer ā€“ simple syrup, honey etc?

So the coffee we are seeing in EU stores is the new low caffeine coffee? In that case I will probably try some other options.

Yes, thatā€™s correct. What is it that you liked about the old version that youā€™re not seeing in the v3.1?

For anyone curious I posted the same question on the huel Reddit regarding the coffee flavour, a couple of people have received the 3.1 flavour and said it tastes a lot artificially sweeter than the original which was my fear, also no longer mixes as well as the old one did with other flavours. I didnā€™t mix it personally, but looks like I wonā€™t be ordering huel again as the main reason I liked the coffee was that it wasnā€™t too sweet :pensive:

2 Likes

I always ordered few bags of Coffee Huel due to caffeine content. When I have time, I usually prepare my morning coffee using french press (I donā€™t have an espresso machine), which is not the fastest way of making coffee. However, before going hiking or when I ran out of time in the morning (2-3x per week), I always had a Coffee Huel, which was a nice way of waking up.

Since the new version has 3x less caffeine, it is not really enough to wake me up, but I also donā€™t want to buy an espresso machine to mix it with other flavours. For this reason, I donā€™t think I will be ordering the v3.1 coffee - also, some people have already commented that the new version is too sweet, which I also donā€™t want.

Sounds like maybe a nice strong dark instant coffee would help: ie boost the caffeine, reduce the sweetness, & no extra prep timeā€¦ Some of the pricier instant coffees are really good.

Get some caffeine pills, itā€™s the easiest way of dosing caffeine properly. You can even throw them in the blender with unsweetened Huel if you use a blender, and then add some instant coffee powder for taste.

Huel have clearly demonstrated that they believe in overly sweet tasting flavors of Huel powder, so U/U is the ideal product for those who disagree with that trend.

4 Likes

Thanks for explaining, it makes total sense why you now find v3.1 isnā€™t for you. As @rikefrejut caffeine pills are an easy way to get a consistent caffeine dose.

Itā€™s something for us to think about too regarding the caffeine content of our coffee flavours as we could have added caffeine to keep the caffeine level the same across versions.