Introducing v3.1 🖤

What about original (UK) Dom?

Would you please be able to send us an email at info@huel.com, with the batch details available on the bottom right on the back of the pouch?

I already did! The customer support was great :slight_smile:

@Dom_Huel Any chance you could tell me, how probable it would be to get chocolate 3.1 in Germany? I was wondering if I should order again and try to get my hands on more 3.0 before its gone forever.

@Coup We’re looking at the beginning of May for the original flavour in the UK :+1:

1 Like

@Uragotchi I’m really happy to hear that you’ve already been in touch and you were happy with the support you received!

Looking at our data, the full switchover for chocolate in Europe is forecasted for the first week of June, however, as you have already received v3.1, chances are that you might receive another one with your next order.

1 Like

Well after reading this thread it was with some trepidation I had my first 3.1 today … and all was fine. I very much appreciate the smoother/ less clumpy texture!

2 Likes

@neul May I ask what flavor you have gotten? And can you describe the flavor a bit more (especially sweetness compared to the 3.0 version)?

Hi is there anyway of knowing what product we will be sent? I don’t want to order the 3.1 but would happily have another round of 3.0. Why is Huel so hard to do business with? Constant unclear changes to the point you don’t know what you’re buying.

Constant? the last core powder formula change was literally over 3 years ago

2 Likes

Try it! You might like it! :rofl:

1 Like

I’m referring to my other love the original mac and cheese (the change was in the last few months) In relation to other ‘processed’ foods I would say the formula changes are quite fast.

It would just be nice to know what you are purchasing - are there many other websites offering lucky dip purchase online you know of?

It happens with a very high regularity – they just often do not publicise it in any way to avoid consumer backlash. Dealing with inconsistent food supply, rising prices and supply chain issues are the more common reasons in recent years. A recent TraceGains survey showed that more than half of the consumer-packaged brands that participated had changed ingredients recently with 37% making changes to recipes in more than 20 products of their brand portfolio, while 25% had changed recipes for six to 20 of their products.

When popular brands make changes – it rarely goes down well with their customers (Coke, Starbucks, McDonalds for example) so they just don’t discuss it for the most part.

3 Likes

Fair enough, I just thought you might want to try v3.1 before deciding you prefer the 3.0.

I think this is unfair. Huel seem to me to be one of the very easiest companies to buy from, including by providing this forum and answering all questions, providing news and updates and fielding concerns and complaints.

I suppose the only way for you to be sure of getting v3.0 again would be to place an order, and if v3.1 arrives you can return it as unwanted. Although there must be at least an outside chance you’ll enjoy it. Maybe worth giving it a go?

4 Likes

You’re both right of course. Backstory - I’m a huge fan of Huel and have been here since the beginning (just got the 1k shaker). The first version of chocolate was my favourite (before the tapioca starch ratio change). It’s just really frustrating lately as the two main things I order have changed, chocolate Huel in my opinion for the second time. If they really have faith in these new formulas they should sell them alongside and let people choose.

I would disagree on Coke/McDonald’s, at least in the UK, items come and go but the core products are relatively stable and pleasantly homogeneous if that’s a thing. The size and price of FMCG’e is a whole other situation admittedly.

4 Likes

They were just some historical and infamous examples of when big brands changed their core products, ostensibly for the better, but faced varying degrees of consumer backlash for it – Coke had their ‘New’ Coke & Tab/Diet/Zero, McDonald’s switching from margarine to butter and Starbucks dropping whole milk. You are right though, UK consumers are far less vocal about things like that happening normally – I never figured out if it was because the changes went under their radar or they didn’t care.

Two different spins on ‘The Most Memorable Marketing Blunder Ever’ - the press & the brand.

1 Like

There have been a few vegan u-turns by big brands recently. Flora made butterley vegan and then had to revert is as the milk suckers rebelled/didn’t like it. Cauldron foods made all their range vegan but backlash meant that they reverted sausages to vegetarian. This one happened in past 6 weeks.

1 Like

I’m in favour of the school dinners approach to food production: ‘It’s good for you / the other animals / the environment’ so just eat it up and stop complaining. No there isn’t any choice in the matter and no you can’t have dessert.’

3 Likes

Hi - it is the salted caramel. It doesn’t taste different.

Interesting. Chocolate is really like a new product. But I found a way to enjoy it now (mixing it half-half with U/U) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Received my first 3.1 today in the salted caramel, and I can’t say I’m a fan. It’s a really strange complaint for me to make here, but it tastes closer to real salted caramel rather than that really sweet hit the 3.0 version had. It’s not bad, just preferred the old version.

The other 2 bags I received were 3.0 cinnamon roll and coffee, so I’ll wait to see how they are when they get replaced in my next batch. Coffee 3.1 I am looking forward to since I really love the RTD coffee caramel right now.