My experience with Huel - Daily user

Some of you maybe know me from the forum, and I wanted to share my experience with Huel as part of the ambassador project.

I always have been interested on the tech world, considering myself a geek. It was with the launch of Soylent on 2014 when my head clicked and I clearly thought it was going to be the future. So I started to look for alternatives and I tried Jimmy Joy, Jake, Queal and some more, choosing Jimmy Joy from 2014 to 2017. As I was still living with my parents I had those meals from time to time.

It was on the 2017 when I started working while finishing my studies that I wanted to set up some day routine and food efficiency was important to me.

I changed to Huel because I found that the macros and the ingredients where the best option for me after researching again.

For me Huel is a game-changer. I am lucky to always have had a great diet and food culture at my home, but Huel hits all the important spots of what nutrition should be. I am currently having Huel as my main meal everyday during the week and in some breakfasts or lunch making it aprox the 50% of my diet, but it fluctuates.

As a matter of curiosity, sometimes I have to eat normal food and not have any Huel in 3-4 days and my body needs a Huel because I dont feel “optimised”. Those days I feel a little heavier, specially after meals, I think its because of the less water intake and fibre. Removing Huel from my life would definitely make it worse.

I love great food, cooking on weekends, enjoy restaurants and eat with friends but Huel is something that will always be at my pantry for convenience and nutrition.

Also thank you to the Huel team for all the nutrition information I have learnt during the period on the forum and to make it one of my small hobbies.

5 Likes

I can really echo this. There are multiple companies doing something very similar to Huel now - some of them are a little cheaper/offer a better choice of flavours* (personal preference of course). The engagement from Huel with us really sets them apart though. Not just on the forum but the super informative articles on the website, their use of social media etc - it’s all fantastic. It’s that engagement that means I really won’t look at any of the competition.

Thanks for sharing your experience - I love reading these :slightly_smiling_face:

*(I realise I’ve lost a lot of power in this negotiation by freely admitting I won’t move to a competitor anyway but please make a third flavour of Black Edition :pray:)

2 Likes

Thank you Adrián and Stuart! We do work really hard to ensure you have as much nutrition information as you want so you can make informed decisions throughout your lives.

I suppose the only thing left to ask is do either of you have any nutrition questions on you mind that need an answer?

Haha in fact I do.

I read last week about insoluble fiber to not be as important as soluble fiber. And not only that, that there were almost no benefits in insoluble, that it was almost like to eat wood and it could also generate problems.

I always thought that insoluble fibre was important and this got me worried

Link to the spanish newspaper, its in spanish, but you can translate. It attaches some scientific articles in english below.

Interesting! My topline is that both soluble and insoluble fibre are beneficial and that there’s not enough evidence to recommend one over the other.

Going into a little more detail to the article you linked to. The 2 studies it linked to are pretty poor ton answer the benefits of fibre because they’re looking mainly at fibre supplements which isn’t the same as the fibre we’d find in foods. I agree the findings on satiety and fibre are mixed but here’s a better designed study that did find positive results.

The second study is looking specifically at the recurrence of colon cancer in colon cancer patients - not that helpful for the general population. Foods and nutrients often show more of an effect in prevention of the first case e.g. Source and source.

This is a good review on the evidence. Pretty much every government and organisation recommends a fibre intake of at least 18g a day (preferably 25-30g) and doesn’t differentiate between soluble and insoluble fibres for this recommendation.

2 Likes