My Fitness Pal

Hi all

Sorry to create another post but I was wondering if you all could share your opinion.

I am logging my food intake on my fitness pal and tracking my outtake from my fit bit. These sync up together which is awesome and so convenient however when any kind of ‘exercise’ is done it adds more calories for you to use in my fitness pal.

Do any of you use both together? Do you eat more calories when the fit bit adds calories to your account in my fitness pal? I really hope I make sense lol as I really could do with some thoughts :slight_smile:

Thanks all

1 Like

This is an easy trap to fall into. Similar to what I see larger people do at the gym - “Phwoar tough session eh Doris? Fancy a coffee and a cake?”.

Just write off those calories and let them form part of your deficit.

3 Likes

:smile: @GTIPuG that is too true. People always think they ‘earned’ the calories lol Im guilty of that too at times.

I just wasn’t sure about the whole maintaining a healthy deficit and if I ‘needed’ to add these calories into my intake- thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can see how this would “trick” people. MFP has calculated my calorie intake as 1900 based on my goals and no matter what exercise I do, I always aim to stick under the initial 1900 and not 1900 + exercise. Thise 1900+ calories go towards increasing my deficit.

Seems a bit counterproductive if you think about it; sweat your nether regions off working out and then pile it back on with a higher calorie intake - might as well not bothered doing the workout in the first place :smile:

EDIT: I have “banked” exercise calories before when I know I’ll need them for something naughty (football match, hotdog and a Bovril - livin’ the dream!) It just means I end up calorie neutral rather than suffering for treating myself on the odd occasion.

1 Like

“Seems a bit counterproductive if you think about it; sweat your nether regions off working out and then pile it back on with a higher calorie intake - might as well not bothered doing the workout in the first place :smile:

lol @DJBenson that is a great way of putting it :joy:

I think I just worry as I never know how many calories i should eat extra when going to the gym etc. You always hear of people saying they eat more on exercise days so I wanted to be sure.

2 Likes

Depends completely on goals. If you’re aiming to lose weight (lose fat) then you should eat at a deficit. If you’re looking to bulk up or get stronger and fitter, you should eat at a slight surplus.

I eat 3000 calories a day at the moment as I’m looking to gain weight and strength before Christmas, but after Christmas I’ll be trimming away the fat in a deficit for a couple of months.

All completely subjective. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi there, I ignore the exercise bit on MFP just eat my allocated calories.

1 Like

@GTIPuG definitely looking to loose fat lol thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Annie1 I will ignore them and get more of a deficit :slight_smile:

1 Like