My hopeful Huel journey and journal šŸ““

Hello,

Iā€™ve taken the plunge into starting Huel today, my order arrived yesterday afternoon and I thought Iā€™d wait for a fresh day to start :grin:

Iā€™m going to give a bit of back story to myself, so if your able to, please bare with my essay to the end!!

Iā€™m 38 years old, Iā€™ve got 4 almost grown children and work part time.

My history with weight has been somewhat of a rollercoaster!
2001-2007 normal weight and gave birth to 4 kidsā€¦
2009 - 2012 - 18 stone
2013 - 2014 - 13 stone
2014 - 2016 - 9 stone
2017 - date - 15.5 stone (as of today!)

2010 - 2014 I lost a lot of weight by turning vegan, 5 stone almost! My doctor told me to read this book called ā€œskinny bitchā€ and it completely brain washed me!! I stooped eating cheese, and almost everything I used to love!But I became a very non healthy vegan, I ate a LOT of sweets and chocolate still :see_no_evil: and tended to eat only certain foods, I ended up with gallstone pancreatitis (3 times within 6 weeks) and was in ITU for about 6 weeks and then had to wait 18 weeks for surgery to remove my gallbladder because the hospital messed up my ā€œemergency apptā€ and put me on the normal waiting list. Most of that 18 weeks was spent in hospitalā€¦ but still they didnā€™t speed up my operation!

2014 - 2016 After my operation, I started eating meats again, but not very much. I couldnā€™t process fatty foods anymore as they literally fell through me! :see_no_evil: sorry for TMI. But then I met someone and it turned out he was a very horrid man, the relationship became a very abusive and though his control I became a heavy drug user, I was using over Ā£100 a day, on various narcotics and was self harming. My weight went from a healthy 12 stone to just under 9 stone. I didnā€™t eat at all and I was destroying myself. After 2 years though, I finally woke myself up and managed to escape with my 4 kids and we moved to a new home.

2016 - 2017 I developed some health issues, mainly down to the drug abuse my body had been though, my bones are pretty much screwed and my health deteriorated. I was in hospital again for extended periods of time and put on a whole host of medications, I was put through rehab and I can say Iā€™ve been clean since July 2016 almost 2 years :tada::tada::tada:

2017 - Date, Iā€™ve slowly been gaining weight, and by slowly I mean almost 6 stone in a year :see_no_evil::sob::weary: but Iā€™m kind of okay with this, because 1 Iā€™m healthy and not an addict anymore and 2 Iā€™d rather be fat than sick. BUTā€¦ Iā€™m fed up!!
I donā€™t want to be this big anymore and because of my mobility, Iā€™m not able to do much exercise.
I work 16-20 hours a week as a baker and omg I eat so much bread!! I really need to cut out the unhealthy foods from my diet too, I eat all kinds of take always because most days I cannot cook.
Thankfully my 4 kids are all very self sufficient and Iā€™ve taught them all how to cook, I buy so much yummy food, but none of it appeals to me as my mentality is still stuck in a bad place. Food to me is the enemy.
Which is why I would like to try something new. Huel. Not a fad diet like lighter life, Exante, Julie plusā€¦ a real diet that helps me with my demons but also gives me 100% nutrition that I need to not become or should I am stay unhealthy!

I do have a very addictive personality, so Iā€™m hoping that I become addicted to drinking these shakes.

I bought the new vanilla flavour. I had my first shake at 8am today, I mixed it in my nutribullet with ice cubes and some fresh coffee. The texture was strange, I was expecting the porridge like consistency that Iā€™ve read so much about, but the floured taste was something I wasnā€™t expectingā€¦ but I liked it!
Iā€™m already feeling peckish, but thatā€™s normally because my now Iā€™ve eaten 2 sandwiches from work/or 3 slices of jam on toast :see_no_evil::joy:

Iā€™ve weighed myself, I was convinced I was about 17stone, but actually Iā€™m only 15.5 stone! So instantly I feel like Iā€™ve lost 2 stone :joy::ok_hand:t2:

Iā€™m not sure if im going to do 1-2 shakes a day plus a hopefully healthy meal in the evening, or 3 shakes a day with no snacking!

I did an online calculator that said I should be in taking about 1500 for my height and weightā€¦ so this would be 3x 3 scoops a dayā€¦??
My BMI is 33.6 :scream:

Iā€™m not sure how much weight Iā€™d like to lose, but I do know that I would like to fit comfortably into clothes I used to wear and not have difficulty even crossing my legs or reaching for things on the floor!
But my biggest wish is for hopefully shifting some weight so that my body isnā€™t under so much stress and strain and my mobility comes back so I am able to exercise, even slightly!! :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

Thank you so much for reading if you made it this far, please ask me any questions (if you have any!) or any tips on how to stay positive and enjoy the experience of Huel.

Natalie x

9 Likes

Welcome!

Good to have you on board. Best of luck and if you need anything there are lots of friendly people and Staff here (I think they are people, too though! Lol)

x

1 Like

Thank you so much, I spent about 8 hours on the couch yesterday just reading all the threads! Best way to spend my day off work :joy: x

Iā€™ve just made my second shake for the day, thought Iā€™d try out the banana flavour sample pouch. Woah. Itā€™s sweet.
I should have used only half the amount. :see_no_evil:
Itā€™s a struggle to get this shake down. I added coffee to it too (I used NescafĆ© azera intenso) and I canā€™t even taste the coffee over the banana flavouring.
Would adding a real banana be better for banana flavour or if I bought the banana powder flavouring should I use only a fraction of the amount? As I love banana shakes!!!

Welcome! People here tend to love blending fruits into the shake so if you have a nutri bullet to hand then go for it - just make sure you report back!

Also, thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like a lot of the ā€˜fad dietsā€™ you mentioned could be especially dangerous for you considering your medical history. I think it sounds like a smart idea choosing to fuel yourself on something thatā€™s nutritionally complete! Good luck :blush:

2 Likes

@RyanT thank you, I will definitely export back, I will make my morning shake tomorrow with a real banana!!

Yeah I have attempted a fair few ā€œdietsā€ in my time, Iā€™m done ing to lose weight quickly, a is not efficient or sustainable :see_no_evil: so hopefully Huel will help me :crossed_fingers:t2:

:heart_eyes:

Try blending it with frozen ripe banana, I promise, your life will be changed :wink:

Thanks for being so honest and raw about your background, Iā€™m so sorry you had to go through such rocky experiences :confused: Iā€™ll be following you on your hopeful Huel journey, and hope it will prove to be the stability and fuel you deserve :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your story here Luffers. x

@jeffy89 thank you! Thatā€™s a great tip! I just got home and noticed my kids have eaten all the bananas :scream::joy: so my morning shake will have to be a plain vanilla/coffee one. But iā€™ll Buy some at work! Quick Qā€¦ do you freeze the banana out of their skin? Iā€™ve never even attempted to freeze a banana before :see_no_evil:
Thank you for following my journey too. Weā€™ve both been through some tough experiences. Huel does seem to be the shining light at the end of my tunnelā€¦ and seems to be helping you no end too.
I feel so full after having just 2 shakes today. Might be first day excitement, but hopefully I donā€™t get that crash and burn for the munchies!
I work very early mornings, so Iā€™m normally asleep by 8/9pm and awake at 5am every day and like you, I love to go to sleep on an empty stomach. I feel awful if I eat then fall straight asleep, so my last meal of the day is always around 4/5pm

@Zebra2374 thank you. And thank you for reading it allā€¦ itā€™s kind of a short version tooā€¦ :see_no_evil::joy:

1 Like

Day one completed :tada:

• Breakfast: 3 scoops of new vanilla + fresh instant coffee (3 tsp)
  • Lunch: 3 scoops of new vanilla + fresh instant coffee (3tsp)
  • Dinner: a very bad choice of local burger joint 1/2lb burger with cheese
    (TMI: within 15mins it had gone completely through meā€¦ 5x :sob::weary:)

Drink wise, I stuck to plain water and this evening I have had a bottle of Arizona blueberry white tea 500ml

Total calories consumed:1,942 (appx as Iā€™m unsure of the burgers actual calorific value!)

Exercise: day off work today, so didnā€™t do much, but 6,557 steps as of now

Weight: 15st 5.6lbs

I really enjoyed my first day, I didnā€™t have any cravings for anything snack wise or even bread which is surprising!
I did however NOT enjoy the banana flavour I tried and that made my lunchtime shake almost unbareable, I diluted it loads, then downed it as quickly as I could. Iā€™m actually gutted I didnā€™t like it, but tomorrow, Iā€™m going to try using fresh bananas to get hopefully a less sweetened sickly taste.
I really like the new vanilla flavouring, maybe not completely on its own, but with coffee added to it.

Iā€™ve already made up a shake for breakfast tomorrow, I leave the house around 5:30am, so will be nice having those extra few minutes spare to NOT prepare something :heart_eyes:

Tomorrowā€™s goals:

1. Do not eat fatty foods!!! :face_vomiting:
  2. Try another flavour sample, but only HALF the sachet this time, Iā€™m thinking rhubarb and custard as thatā€™s one of my all time favourite sweets as a kid!
  3. DRINK MORE WATER! I only drinks hot plain water, and bottled cold water, today Iā€™ve only managed 500mls hot water and about 200mls cold bottled (+ the Arizona ice tea) which I know is not enoughā€¦ normal days intake of water is about 3 litres, so today. I was slacking.

Iā€™m not expecting a miracle overnight with Huel, but I am hoping this is finally the breakthrough I need to get back control of my body, my eating and my mind. Without resorting to a fad diet that lasts 3 days max!

If Iā€™m still here and writing my diary in 5 daysā€¦ :raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2: Iā€™ll be very impressed!

1 Like

Never ever ever in the skin!! Absolute nightmare to get it back out once frozen haha

1 Like

@GTIPuG :joy::joy: thanks! I am pretty clueless :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Seconded! #truestory #frozenfingers
Iā€™d recommend slicing it into banana coins and freezing it in a single layer in a ziploc bag :slight_smile: Frozen banana coins make for a great summer snack too! (SUPER CREAMY, almost like ice cream!)
Or if youā€™re just going to blend it into a Huel shake, you could freeze it in banana thirds or halves to make it easier to blend :slight_smile:

Donā€™t disappear on me Huel-diary-buddy! :smiley:

3 Likes

Day two completed :tada::tada:

Breakfast: 3 scoops of new vanilla + fresh instant coffee (3 tsp)
Lunch: 3 scoops of new vanilla + fresh instant coffee (3tsp) + fresh banana
Dinner: homemade spaghetti bolognese, itā€™s my favourite meal and Iā€™ve been craving it for about 3 monthsā€¦

Drinks: 1 can of Pepsi (free at work!) and 1/2 a bottle of cherry and apple polish juice drink. 1 mug of hot water and a few sips of water whilst working.

Total calories consumed: 2,893 :scream::scream::scream: (appx as Iā€™m not sure how many calories my dinner had, I input individual things on my fitness pal but I didnā€™t weigh my portions, so I guessed the actual calorific value!)

Exercise: 6.5 hours at work, on my feet contasntly. :fearful:Walked 5.9miles according to Apple health!!! Iā€™m normally very sedentary when Iā€™m not working, so this was an improvement. I actually managed the whole shift on just one shake. Got home about 1pm and wasnā€™t even hungry :scream::smiley:

Weight: not weighing myself for about a week. Hoping to see a loss (if I get my calories down :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:)

I tried the rhubarb and custard flavouring, I added 1/4 teaspoon and even that was just :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting: sugarnastyā€¦ I really donā€™t think Iā€™ll like them, but however I read a thread on here saying that adding the flavouring to milk turns them into a yummy ā€œfrijjā€ style drink.
I put some milk in a shaker and added the toffee one, gave it to my daughter, and hey hoā€¦ she was begging for more! So least I can offload the rest of my samples to a kid or twoā€¦ so theyā€™re not wasted. But Iā€™m sticking to vanilla/coffee mix. :raised_hands:t2:

Oh and @jeffy89 @GTIPuG YOU GUYS ROCKā€¦ adding banana was the best idea ever!!! So creamyā€¦ made such a difference to the consistency of the shake! Iā€™ve brought a huge bunch and Iā€™m freezing them tonite :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Tomorrowā€™s goals:

1. Not eat so much dinner :joy::see_no_evil:
  2. Drink more water!! (Again) I really think not drinking enough will hinder meā€¦??
  3. Possibly do some exercise? I need to do major housework, so that counts right :joy:
1 Like

Donā€™t worry, Iā€™m not gonna go anywhere! Iā€™m determined to make this work :facepunch:t2::kissing_heart:

1 Like

Day three completed :tada::tada::tada: (was too tired yesterday to upload)

Breakfast: Vanilla v2.3 x3 scoops + instant coffee + banana
Lunch: Vanilla v2.3 x3 scoops + WAY TOO MUCH instant coffee
Dinner: left over bolognese turned into chilli con carne with basmati rice

Snack: 1/6th of a quiche :see_no_evil:

Drinks: 1 can of Pepsi (free at work again) 2ltrs of hot water (measured my mug, it holds 500mls :+1:t2:)

Total calories consumed: 2,040 (daily goal is 1,500)

Exercise: 11,440 steps (5.7 miles) and I ALMOST, JUST ALMOST closed all 3 rings on my Apple Watch activity app!

Weight: actually weighed myself, but at different time of day and whilst wearing clothingā€¦ shouldnā€™t have! The scales said Iā€™ve gained 4lbs :joy::see_no_evil: so Iā€™m gonna stick to weekly, or even bi weekly weigh ins!!!

Yesterday, I had stocktake at work, it was quite stressful and I did a lot more than usual. I had my morning shake whilst working and it took me ages to drink. I kept putting in back into the walk in freezer to cool it down as the kitchen is unbearably hot when Iā€™m baking :sweat_smile: I got home about midday and wasnā€™t even interested in having my second shake. I did eventually make it, but I was shocked to notice how not hungry I am, normally I finish work and Iā€™m ravenous to wholf down a sandwich, crisps, chocolateā€¦ but I didnā€™t even crave any of them!

I made my second shake with WAY too much coffee in it, I started getting palpitations and had to sit down for about 30mins and try to calm my heart rate :see_no_evil:
My heart is a dodgy ticker, since Iā€™ve recover3d from narcotics, Iā€™ve worn a heart monitor as it doesnā€™t like to play ballā€¦ if I eat anything with high sugar content, it freaks out. Jellybeans and skittles are the worst. I also think feel like Iā€™m on drugs when I eat themā€¦ itā€™s horrible, Iā€™m so glad Iā€™m sober now, as I do not like that feeling at allā€¦ at all.

At dinnetime, I wasnā€™t even hungry again, but as we had left over bolognese, I thought Iā€™d add some fresh jalapeƱos and cumin and cook some rice. I even measured the rice! Iā€™ve never ever measured my food out before, Iā€™m glad I did too, because it made the perfect amount of rice. Any more and I would have over eaten OR wasted food :see_no_evil: I struggled to eat the meal, and as I ate every mouthful I kept thinking, I should have just had a shake instead.

Tomorrowā€™s goals:

1. Continue drinking more water, yesterday I did it! :grin: but could still improve
  2. Think about forgoing a main meal, try to keep calories down. Or even on target!
  3. Close all 3 rings on my Apple Watch activity
1 Like

Day four completed :tada::tada::tada::tada:

Breakfast: Vanilla v2.3 x3 scoops + instant coffee + :banana:
Lunch: Vanilla v2.3 x3 scoops + 50g blueberries + :banana:
Dinner: HUGE FAIL :see_no_evil: basmati rice 100g + left over bolognese turned into chilli + Loads of BBQ sauce + 2 spring onions. (Calories approx)

Snacks: dried mango from Lidl 100g

Drinks: 1 litre hot water, 2 cans of Pepsi

Total calories consumed: 2,608*approx (daily goal 1,500)

Exercise: 12,896 steps :tada: also I managed to close all my rings on my Apple Watch :watch:ļø :facepunch:t2::ok_hand:t2::100:
I worked today, but not as hard as last two days. So not sure how I did more than my previous days :thinking::joy:

Weight: bloated and feeling very fatty natty :sob::sob:

I had in my mind, I was going to not eat a dinner today, I was going to have 3 shakes today!! but the leftover bolognese in the fridge was calling me, I donā€™t like to waste food and all 4 of the kids had pizza for dinner. :pizza::heart_eyes: :pizza:
I REALLY wanted pizza :confounded: I almost ordered one for myself, but again, the leftover bolognese was calling my name.

I ate the bolognese, turned it into chilli con carne, and regretting every mouthful, butā€¦ tomorrow is another day.:woman_facepalming:t3:

I think I need to abstain from foods for my appetite to get used to eating less. I wasnā€™t actually hungry when I thought about dinner and easily could have gone without it, but because itā€™s routine, Iā€™m finding it hard to break!

Iā€™m only on day four but I feel like Iā€™m already failing. :sob:

Thinking about what I used to eat, :thinking: and before I even thought about counting any calories, I was most likely consuming daily in excess of 3,000/4,000 calories. Easily. :scream:

So in a round about way, I am slowly going to lose weight just because Iā€™m not eating THAT much anymore. :zipper_mouth_face:

Also, thinking about how much less I am eating now and how many calories are in literally everything, itā€™s so hard to think about only eating 1,500 calories a day :thinking::weary::disappointed:

If I donā€™t include bananas, or blueberries, or snack on dried mango, or drink a can of pepsi or twoā€¦ I could stick to 1,500 by drinking 3x 3 scoops a day. But is that really realistic?? Long term?

I have a lot of weight to lose, 4 stone ideally. :persevere: and itā€™s going to be so hard!!

Or thatā€™s how I feel right now.

I know itā€™s going to take a long time, this is not a quick fix fad diet, its about changing my lifestyle and my relationship with food.

Tomorrowā€™s goals:

1. Do not snack! :no_entry_sign:
  2. DO NOT SNACK!:no_entry_sign:
  3. Cut out the Pepsi (for like a day or two!)
  4. Get through day 5 :+1:t2:
  5. Drink more water :sweat_drops:
2 Likes

Good job on getting through Day 4! :smiley:

Just my 2 centsā€™ worth:

I notice youā€™re being quite harsh on yourself, and that in itself is a tough habit to break.
It seems like youā€™re trying to change too much at one go, and beating yourself up if you donā€™t meet the many goals you set out. Iā€™ve done that too, for many many years.

Exactly! Itā€™s important to realise that everyone has a different starting point. Yes, math is math, and perhaps one day youā€™ll get your calories down to 1500. But right now, thereā€™s so many small things you can change to make it part of your lifestyle, and you donā€™t have to plunge right in now. In fact, doing that can be counter-productive and make it more likely for you to give up.

What I did (when my starting point was literally binging on sweets from the moment I woke to the moment I slept), was to tell myself that Iā€™ll just give myself ONE goal: Eat from 12nn-8pm everyday, for 2 weeks. Iā€™d still allow myself to eat everything I wanted, which made it easier to stick to. After those 2 weeks, I gradually added more goals. It took me about 4-5 weeks before I started eating 1500kcal, and sometimes I still eat more than that.

Tl;dr my suggestion ā€“ How about you just give yourself one goal of ā€˜cutting out the pepsiā€™ for 1 week? You can always add more goals as time goes by; little habits build up over the long run :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Youā€™re so right. Iā€™m very good at self defamation, I call it constructive criticism and try to joke it off :see_no_evil::pensive:

This is exactly what I do on day 3/4 of every diet I start. I always think
ā€œWhatā€™s the pointā€ and self sabotage.
I did think, at least it wasnā€™t bad foods I ateā€¦ it was fruit and vegetables with a decent dinner (although maybe not the bbq sauce!)
So even though my calories are higher than Iā€™d like, theyā€™re still LOWER than usual and itā€™s not ā€œbadā€ food Iā€™ve consumed?!??

Thatā€™s a great plan. I was already only setting little goals, but maybe I need to focus on a better goal each week. Iā€™ll keep my daily goals of drinking more water!! But iā€™ll Set a weekly one (starting tomorrowā€¦ :no_entry_sign:Pepsi)

I kind of already do IF as I only eat between the hours of 5:30am and 6pmā€¦ should I close this window to a smaller amount of time to be able to eat in?
I work most days starting at 5:30-6am and Iā€™m ready for bed by 7pm every night :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: so I could definitely start IF with a smaller window of eating time?

Thanks so much for your positive comments too @jeffy89
I donā€™t really have anyone to talk to about this stuff. My kids just :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: at me and my family arenā€™t really interested or bothered.
I probably would have gone to bed feeling really disheartened but now Iā€™m feeling positive again and looking forward to a fresh new day and a new goal to achieve.

Thank you :heart_eyes::kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Day five completed :tada::tada::tada::tada:

Breakfast: new vanilla v2.3 x3 scoops + instant coffee
Lunch: new vans v2.3 x3 scoops + 1/8th mocha FS
Dinner: stir fry mushrooms, quorn pieces, sweetcorn, Caribbean stir fry sauce & basmati rice.

Snacks: quorn cocktail sausages

Drinks: 1.5ltrs hot water! 500mls sparkling water.

Total calories consumed: 2,394 (daily goal 1,500)

Exercise: 8,385 steps walked to supermarket and did washing up, the washing up took 5 hoursā€¦ no joke. Imagine a house full of teenagers and every single piece of cutlery, dinnerware, utensil USED and unwashed. My kitchen is 19ft long, and the washing up went from one end to the other!!! I wish I had a dishwasher

Weight: unknown, BUT I looked in the mirror this morning and I thought for a secondā€¦ woah, youā€™re not as bloated as usual!

Today, I didnā€™t do much at all, I slept in till 10amā€¦ :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:. Normally Iā€™m up at 5am everyday and on my rare days off, I always like to make the most of not waking up!
I needed to do housework, as Iā€™ve been putting it off for weeks. Decided to sort out the kitchen, as my kids are so lazy and they never ever wash up after themselves! I canā€™t believe it took me almost 5 hours!! But thatā€™s gotta count towards exercise right??

I thought about what @jeffy89 said yesterday and I have decided to not worry about the calories Iā€™m consuming, I am making huge improvements already by eliminating chocolates, sweets, bread, crisps and all the other crap I would usually eat every single day. Today I did start a Pepsi ban though and Iā€™m going to try to make it through the week without it!

I also looked into IF and Iā€™m going to give it a try, Iā€™m thinking 16:8 and starting my feeding times to 6am - 4pm and fasting between 4pm - 6am.
This works with my work hours and Iā€™ve been thinking, possibly on my days off, it might make me consume less as I wonā€™t be awake from 6am but I will stick to the 4pm deadline. Possibly forgoing breakfast or an evening meal? Or even just having shakes on those days??
Im not completely sure on it yet, but Iā€™m definitely toying with the idea.

Weekly goal:

• Avoid Pepsi :no_entry_sign::joy:

Tomorrowā€™s goals:

1. Drink more water! :droplet:
  2. Exercise more (close all 3 rings on :watch:ļø)
  3. Possibly try 3 shakes instead of an evening meal.
1 Like