Myprotein flavdrops no longer vegan

Just a heads up in case any vegans are gonna try these to flavour their Huel. According to a communication I received from the company, they are no longer even vegetarian. All but the strawberry flavour used to be, the ones I have are all labelled vegan…not sure what has changed.

I posted the transcript in the “any suggestions on flavourings?” thread.

3 Likes

Thank you for letting us know.

I bought three last week but now see that the flavour I’ve been getting stuck into the most is the only non-vegan one

Maple - Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten free
Vanilla - Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten free
Raspberry - Gluten free only :anguished:

Looking at the list of ingredients, it’s probably because of the Carmine for colouring which comes from crushed insects.

So it is more likely a case that the person answering my query had no ****ing idea what they were talking about. It is amazing how often that happens when you contact suppliers!

I know the carmine made strawberry and raspberry non-vegan but all the others were…but now they no longer come up in the vegan search I assumed something had changed but nothing obvious from the ingredients listing…I could try contacting them again but it may be a waste of time.

This company looks good. Far more flavours than my protein and seems like they are all vegan at least the ones I checked and there are a lot- even things like honey favour. Pistachio sounds good.

Pistachio does sound tasty, but unfortunately the price is too steep for me, 15ml for £4.95.

It might be worth giving MyProtein another try, flavouring Huel can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, but MyProtein drops usually work pretty well.

1 Like

I agree I like the flavdrops now and again. 4.95 + postage is a bit steep I agree. I will look around for other options. I don’t actually need any right now as I have a few vegan flavdrops and only use them occasionally.

Out of interest how many drops of FlavDrop do you find yourself using per 3 scoops of Huel? Feels a bit like I put 10 drops in and never even notice…

I use 10 to 12 drops in a 50/50 blend of vanilla and uu 100g in total which is around 3 scoops. I can definitely taste the drops. I use peanut butter, chocolate peanut butter, toffee and white chocolate flavours…not all at the same time.

I tend to put 10, and then squirt in some more, so probably 20 or so per 500ml. Not sure why I count the first 10, but I always do.

1 Like

LOL…precision at its finest. Do you use one scoop of Huel and then chuck in am extra handful or two?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the carmine. I wrote to Myprotein yesterday and got this response today

All flavdrops will be vegan friendly with the exception of any with the Carmine included. These include the likes of Raspberry and Strawberry flavours.

So good news, unless you’re stuck on the Raspberry, or you’re an insect.

4 Likes

Thanks Jay…I thought that was the case but they had no clue when I asked them.

I bought some of these drops after seeing this thread when it first cropped up. I’m very happy with my purchase. I bought the toffee flavoured drops, and I definitely prefer them to the Huel branded ones simply because they’re quicker to add. The drops are much faster than farting around with a sticky powder that I always seem to get everywhere.

2 Likes

I’ve got pretty much every flavour going, been using them for a while.

Chocolate is a little disappointing,
Peanut Butter is by far the best.

Sadly there is no salted caramel, which is always a favourite within protein flavours.
My buying decision was purely down to the droppers being easier than the powder.

I agree Peanut Butter is great and the white chocolate is better than just regular chocolate.

I go through quite a lot of toffee flavour, I chuck a few drops in with a couple of chunks of frozen banana.
It’s bang on when refrigerated overnight.

I also consume lots of the toffee flavour. It’s the best tasting flavour additive I’ve found yet.