New volume discount plan - 8% price rise

No it’s not a price increase for everyone.

for example: 86 deliveries of three bags is a total of 258 bags.
Under the old system 258 bags of BE is £7,095.00
Under the new system 258 bags of BE is £6,617.70

you save £477.30. :+1:

1 Like

I only care about Huel U/U powder, previously using deliveries of 16 bags at a time.

I forget other Huel products exist, and increasing the cost of my product won’t make me try other Huel products for sure.

1 Like

I only use BE as an example. The numbers will be similar for v3.1, inc. U/U.

I calculated the price increase for my regular order of 10 bags and it’s 5p per shake, or 15p per day.
I’d rather it wasn’t increasing at all, but in the general scheme of things I think I can live with it.
(that’s +3.4%)

And in my case it’s a ~10% increase.

2 Likes

That’s tough, I get it.

I don’t even care as much about the price increase as I care about the dishonest way it is being presented as a discount.

5 Likes

I don’t see it as a price increase at all. But rather an adjustment of the discounts on offer: a reduction in discount for some, an increase for others. I know it’s just numbers in the end, but I disagree with the word dishonest there.

If I receive an email saying “We’ve got discounts for you!” and it ends up being a price increase, then I call that dishonest.

Honest way of doing that would be:

We are announcing an unfortunate price increase.

Previously the most efficient way of getting 108800 kcal of Huel cost 300GBP.

Now the most efficient way of getting 108800 kcal of Huel costs 350GBP.

We are sorry, facebook advertisement costs increased too much for us to keep on subsidizing them.
3 Likes

It’d be weird if we all got individually-tailored messages like that. Clever, but weird.

If new customers that use lots of different products bring more money then they will be a priority. It is about profit, not about loyalty. It is not a friendship but a business relationship - which also means that you should change your “loyalty” as well as soon as there is a different, better product.

You’re absolutely right that they are trying to fool customers, disguise an effective price increase for the “most loyal” customer groups. But that is also characteristic of a free market. Our whole economic system is built on deception, as it gives a company a competitive edge.

The only thing that really should be changed is the cost of their marketing policy - customers are paying for it. And at least I don’t want to pay for marketing - although that is of course another characteristic of our economic system. At least as long as customers are guided by emotions like “loyalty”.

But what is the alternative? Protein powder plus some omega 3 plus a carb and fibre source gulped down with an all in one supplement? Maybe. Would it be cheaper? I haven’t calculated it yet.

2 Likes

Sometimes also buy another brand that also had a price increase. The email they sent me ( in Spanish and then the translated text ) was:

Estimado cliente,

Le escribimos en referencia a su suscripción en nuestra tienda.

Como sabrá recientemente estamos sufriendo una alta inflación que ha afectado seriamente al sector de las materias primas y transporte. Debido a esto, y para mantener la calidad de nuestros productos, nos hemos visto obligados a incrementar los precios. Dado que las demás marcas también han tomado estas medidas, seguimos manteniendo uno de los precios más competitivos del sector.

Su suscripción se actualizará con los nuevos precios.

Dear customer,

We are writing to you in reference to your subscription in our store.

As you may know, we have recently been suffering from high inflation which has seriously affected the raw materials and transportation sector. Because of this, and in order to maintain the quality of our products, we have been forced to increase prices. Since the other brands have also taken these measures, we continue to maintain one of the most competitive prices in the industry.

Your subscription will be updated with the new prices.

Plain and simple.

2 Likes

Strong main character energy here.

Charlotte’s pointed out that this IS a discount for the majority. Beyond being apologetic that it’s not for the biggest spenders, I don’t know what else can be said on this. They’re not gonna adjust their whole marketing strategy to frame it in a way that’s wrong for most people. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

This is a nice email. Would you mind telling the the company? Can pm me.

1 Like

This is a price cut for me, and I’m in favour of moving some discounts away from the biggest spenders and giving them to lower spenders. Yeah, “economies of scale” is how the world works, but the world is very unfair. Tesco forces the corner shop out of business. Pre-pay meters are the most expensive way to buy energy. Owning a property makes it easier to own more properties. Poor people pay the most for Huel.

Now Huel Essential is included in the discount scheme, and you don’t have to purchase (and store) a large number of bags to get the full discount.

I’m not saying everyone who bulk-buys Huel is well-off. I used to do it. I’m just saying “8% price rise” is only true for some people. It would definitely have been better for Huel to say “some customers will pay less, but some will pay more” and explain why, and how customers could mitigate it.

7 Likes

It can’t be mitigated can it? As the bulk-buy discount has been “redistributed”, it’s resulted in a real terms price increase for higher volume / bulk-buy users. What’s done is done now, but that’s what’s happened, and I don’t think it can be navigated around. A few words and music to have gone along with the new structure being more open about the new position on volume orders would have gone a long way.

I don’t know, I haven’t tried to work it out. I know Charlotte posted something about making smaller orders more often, but it didn’t make any sense to me as you’d still be paying more overall.

Yes I read that in the other thread too, but then according to a post above, 4x4, 2x8, or 1x16, all cost the same. Either something has changed along the way or there’s some confusion involved.

That’s a very good point - thanks for the reality check.

I don’t have a high income, which is why I buy in bulk in order to get the absolutely cheapest price. My 8% price rise (on top of the 15% one last year) is tough for me. But I suppose I must recognise my privilege in having sufficient cashflow to be able to buy in bulk. There are many who cannot afford that, and they do indeed deserve the discount more.

I guess this leaves my complaint as more about the way this was communicated with gushing enthusiasm from the company with the assumption that everyone would be pleased about the change.

3 Likes

As I see it the only way for large-volume bulk-buyers to make something out of the reduction in their discount is to embrace the new dawn and change their buying habits. There’s now an incentive to order a whole range of products instead of sticking to just one, as the discount is the same either way. It’s not a money-saver, but it’s a new opportunity at least.

1 Like