Original vs New Vanilla

Okay, so I’ve now tried the original vanilla and compared to new vanilla!
My verdict:
Original Vanilla tastes more like actual vanilla, and has quite an intense sweetener taste which almost overpowers the vanilla flavour which in itself is fairly subtle.
New Vanilla has a more intense flavour which is actually slightly more ‘buttery’ - as some have suggested it tastes kind of like toffee, rather than Vanilla - I would agreee. The vanilla toffee flavour is quite intense and therefore the sweetener taste isnt quite as obvious.

Which do I prefer? I actually find both too sweet to drink as they are. But both are quite nice when mixed with U/U.
When using with the flavour boosters, 2 scoops Original and 1 scoop U/U seems to work best as it allows the added flavour to really come out. I used this ratio with a pineapple coconut booster and the result was delicious.
I find the New Vanilla has such an intense toffee taste (even when mixed with U/U) that it overpowers the flavour boosters and only really works with the ones that are complemented by that extra layer of buttery sweetness. Its ok with the mint choc, and mocha, but makes the toffee way too sickly, and the strawberry and banana just doesnt work at all, for me anyway!

Not really sure which will become my favourite going forwards… neither is perfect in my opinion, but with a bit of experimentation with ratios, I can make them both work pretty well with the U/U and boosters!

My advice for anyone with not such a sweet tooth: buy a bag of U/U to mix with !

7 Likes

If flavor boosts = yes
then > original
if = no
then > new

3 Likes

I agree, but I do like a lot the new Vainilla. I think having 2 flavours of vainilla is a mistake, but its a tough decision to make… Many people like original. Something has to be done

I think it’s ok having both - they are very different. The new one should have been called Vanilla Toffee though as that would have been less confusing perhaps (although to be fair, I didn’t find it confusing at all - but it is fairly hard to know which one to pick).
I still think they should do a starter pack with 3 meals of each of the 5 flavours so you can try them all and see what you like.

4 Likes

Huel explained that they tried a starter pack and the results were pretty bad

@airiartev I know :slight_smile: but I will keep saying it’s a good idea in the hope they may reconsider. My suggestion was that instead of providing a single sachet sample which they have explained didn’t work as it didn’t give enough for ‘the full Huel experience’, they could give a starter pack which contains 3 meals of each flavour ie a total of 15 meals which is equivalent to a full bag of Huel. Plenty to have ‘the full Huel experience’ without committing yourself to an entire bag of one flavour which you might not like. It’s pretty hard to guess what flavour might be your favourite. My argument is against wastage really as I have a full bag of berry which I really can’t drink and I’ve really tried believe me! And I can’t seem to give it away either. I’d really like to try the coffee but am concerned that could also be awful. It’s less risky with the u/u and two vanillas as they are easier to flavour your way out of them if they aren’t to your taste as they are.

4 Likes

Hmmm you know what? I think the trial pack should be available only for users that have been consuming Huel for x period of time but havent tried other flavours, that way Huel would be sure that they will really try and experience at it best the new flavours.

Based on the purchasing history, could be very easy to do.

That way they avoid inexperience people to critique Huel because they didnt like the concept or how to use huel

2 Likes

Oh you what m8
Coffee is the best, if - and only if you use toffee flavdrops. Without, its a little bitter

Buy these now!

1 Like

How does Huel coffee flavour powder compare with Huel new vanilla with a teaspoon of instant coffee granules/powder added?

1 Like

Cor! I just got some New Vanilla through (after being a bit of a Berry bandit for a few months) and I’ve got to say, it smashes the original flavour in my opinion. Love this! In fact, think it now beats Berry (which very rapidly became my favourite).

Niiice work, Huel!

3 Likes

Hard to compare as coffee Huel does not really taste like coffee actually, hard to explain its flavor

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. Guess I’ll just have to try some then :grin:

1 Like

I have read many negative opinion of the coffee flavour. How can it be so difficult? I would like to try it but I dont know… Is very easy to just add coffee or nescafé to the Huel

3 Likes

This is what I keep thinking too :thinking:

2 Likes

Not a bad idea this! You should email them your feedback

2 Likes

jajaja I mention @Tim_Huel

1 Like

I tried some of the new vanilla and it’s really pretty good. (I found the original vanilla too sweet to have on it’s own for too long - the sucralose seems to get a bit much over time for me, and eventually found it was better to mix it 50/50 with U/U, so upon seeing the new vanilla, I thought I’d give it a try)

Anyway, at the same time I also tried some of the new caramel flavour pouches mixed with some U/U which I put in a tupperware container. I also put some new vanilla in another container ready for drinking the next day.

The next day came and I opened the vanilla and I thought I’d accidentally mixed up the containers because it smelled just like the caramel I’d had the day before to me! So I opened the other container and it was really very similar. Really strange! I don’t actually mind at all because I do like it, but it seems to taste more of caramel than vanilla to me. So, I agree with ChristinaT’s comment about it being like toffee. I was thinking it was kinda like butterscotch at the time too, which reflects her buttery experience also.

Regardless, I do prefer the new vanilla it to the original vanilla though so no complaints from me!

1 Like

Have you tried mixing cacao powder (or just cocoa or chocolate powder) with the Berry? I found that helped.

I’ve finished most of a bag of Berry but I probably wouldn’t order it again. Or the Coffee. I reckon in the end, when I’ve finished the bags of Vanilla (Original and New) which’ll take ages because I mix them 50/50 with U/U, I’ll probably just stick to Unflavoured and maybe flavour it, maybe not, as the mood strikes me.

2 Likes

@Africorn yes i tried everything. I don’t know if I got a dud batch or what but it was really unbearably strong and sweet - really really terrible. I tried making it more dilute, mixing with UU, adding cacao, adding berries, refridgerating… literally everything. It was just horrible!
It’s strange because although I struggled initially with the sweetness of the new vanilla, I found it very drinkable after refridgerating, even if its not my preferred flavour combo, and when vanilla is mixed with uu its lovely. So although I know I am overly sensitive to the sweetness, all the other flavours were drinkable, or mixable to make them drinkable. The berry though I literally could not find any way to make it drinkable at all, it was that bad. Having never tried it before, I have nothing compare it to, but I find it hard to believe it could be the same batch / flavour as what other people have been receiving, as lots of people complained the flavour was ‘weak’. Absolutely no way could anyone find the bag I received weak!!! Maybe I got all the flavouring in my bag LOL.
I have given it away now - it took me a very long time to find someone willing to take it off my hands - literally nobody liked it - even my friends with a very sweet tooth. I hope the person I gave it to isn’t consequently permanently put off Huel !!!

2 Likes

Ha ha, I’m glad you found someone to take it off your hands, so it isn’t sitting there reproaching you!

1 Like