Poor Packaging

Sure, I will update in January.

1 Like

I enjoyed reading this topic, so thank you all for the amusement! I find that frequently is the case reading amongst the frequent community members!

I’m not sure if i’ve posted before…but here I am B]

Personally I agree with everything said and find the bags SO stressful and put immediately into a cereal tub to try and prevent as much mess as I can each use. The powder is static on the scoop though… what mad science is this haha, I’m oblivious!

1 Like

Heya @CraftieDaftie and welcome! Just jump right in and join in with the fun, suggest steering clear of that @David chap but aside from that you’re golden!

I’ve noticed that smaller orders tend to fare better with courier companies than the larger ones. I’ve got a ton of stuff left but was impatient to try the new flavour and so made a teeny little interim order of a few H&S which arrived today in absolutely beautiful condition.

Compare that to the usual bedraggled half soaked half wrecked boxes I get when I order half a years worth of powder at a time and the difference is stark!

And after all of that I still didn’t get to try the new flavour because a random blinking niece showed up having “run away from home”.

Her home is in Stirling, Scotland. I live about as far South West Cornwall as you can get without getting your feet wet. West of me, first stop is the United States. So yes, it has been a trying evening.

Good to hear. I fly for work and unclogging the seal is absolutely key to not having an un-commanded Huel in suitcase detonation! I also use some from a new bag and double bag it in an old empty bag. The seals are good but need to be unclogged to work properly.

I’ve jumped back in to these posts which I bagan last year!

I would be much happier if the new trial off the bag seal was proven worthy and I would also celebrate a better of delivering several bags at a time that avoids yet another cardboard box!

So, I am waiting for developments in what I hope is a better year.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s PC any more to force the zip into such a binary choice. Perhaps we can agree a new pronoun for it…

2 Likes

Hi all

So, an update. We’ve been testing solutions for that ‘powder in the seal of my Huel’ pouch dilemma. We have found what I hope will be a solution. From mid January we’ve been using some new machinery and the results have been good. We don’t have enough of the new equipment for all pouches to be made like this yet but they are on the way. Improved seal pouches will start flowing into the market in the coming weeks and we expect all pouches to be super slick from the Summer. Hit me up if anyone spots an improvement in the coming months :+1:

James

12 Likes

Excellent news, thank you. Huel will save me even more time now.

I use one of those little clip things that come with vacuum seal bags - you run it along the seal and it closes it properly.

I hate the Huel packets for both practicality and environmental reasons. I decant the contents into glass jars and I then have about week of enjoyment before I have to open another of those monsters.

As far as opening, I now use scissors to cut a hole at 45 degrees in the packet at the bottom and pour it into my glass containers. I don’t even deal with that “resealable” top. The other advantage is that the small opening allows me to crush the packet and bin it without creating a cloud of Huel powder.

Unfortunately, people have moaned about these packets for ages on this forum but nothing changes.

1 Like

It’s not a quick fix pal.

if you had read the posts in this thread you would have seen that a new bag is in the process of being rolled out - what is, I guess the 4th (?) bag design iteration since products started shipping 6 years back - thats not exactly doing nothing is it?

1 Like

Hey James, I was wondering if you have any updates here? Thanks!

Hi there. Thanks for checking. Yes, I posted an update above a few weeks ago. Scroll up to read more. Basically good news :grinning: but we will need until the Summer for all pouches to be made with the new machines/process. James

4 Likes

Didn’t catch the update… Thanks! Good luck with the manufacturing process. Looking forward :slight_smile:

Any chance Black Banana is already pouched with this new machinery?

Any chance Black Banana is already pouched with this new machinery?

Not the one I got, it’s held closed with a clothes peg :rofl:

Hi James,

Out of interest why wouldn’t you use tubs of the sort protein powder comes in?

It saves all the faff with resealing them (which I’ve had a nightmare with my first delivery of today), and would be recycleable which the pouches aren’t?

Large tubs, even though they are more recyclable, have many negative downsides too. When they are manufactured and transported, the costs are significantly more expensive. The tub manufacturer could ship only about 100000 tubs in one container compared with around three quarters of million stand up pouches. So freight and fuel costs are a lot less with bags.

Plastic rigid containers have a higher carbon foot print due to both freight and raw materials – they require as much as 300% more plastic than pouches. They also require additional tamper evident shrink sleeves or labelling that requires more material and possibly adhesives, sealing wads to make the container air tight and for moisture protection etc. These are all extra costs which would ultimately impact the products retail price.

All of these things add up to the base price of the packaging being 350 to 400% more than stand up pouches or flat bottom bags. Given that price points are a very sensitive issue for a lot of Huel’s customers, I’m not sure they’d not be too thrilled about that.

Huel may have their own reasons – but I’m guessing this is why most brand owners go the bag route even though (for now) that has its own set of problems.

3 Likes

It’s less about the actual flavour switching to the new machinery, and more that only a certain % of pouches can be produced on the new machinery at the moment until we have more equipment in place. It’s too hard to plan flavour by flavour at the moment. We haven’t publicly announced as being a better pouch yet until all pouches are made on the new setup. Sorry I can’t be more specific, just sharing as much as I can!

3 Likes