I’m 9 days in (have been having 3 scoops with ~600ml water + ice for breakfast every day, and normal food for lunch & dinner).
Seems fine when I actually drink it but a few hours later I feel a strange, uncomfortable nausea-like sensation that I’ve never had before, that sometimes lasts the rest of the day. Also get a bit phlegm-y but not drastic. The sensation is pretty uncomfortable though.
- Softer stools
- No real change in energy level, which surprised me slightly as I was not getting enough protein (maybe 15g a day, whoops) before starting on the Huel, and when I realised that I got Huel (and started eating more of my normal protein sources - hopefully that hasn’t confounded it too much)
- drinking it slower (had it over 45 minutes with plenty of water this morning, as usual felt fine but developed the nausea later)
- having more & less water
Initially I found the taste (vanilla) a bit weird, but I’ve got over that. Now I like the taste and texture of Huel. However, the discomfort that comes later is a deal breaker for me if it continues.
I really want to stay on Huel because it definitely saves a lot of time and helps me get enough protein (I’m vegetarian) and other nutrients.
However having looked at the other threads about nausea on here, I haven’t really been able to figure out what’s going on.
Seems like some possible explanations - correct me if I’m wrong - are:
- gut microbiome hasn’t adjusted yet (not sure if this would explain the phlegmy feeling in throat)
- oat allergy (never had a problem with this in the past, but not beyond the realm of possibility)
- non-coeliac gluten sensitivity
- some problem with processing the extra protein
Can anyone, especially someone from the Huel team who is a dietitian, give me any advice on how to find the cause? Or suggest other causes? (@JamesCollier ?)
What I’ll try in the short term is to reduce my Huel consumption to 2 scoops, 1 scoop etc. and see if I can find my “limit”, but it just seems like a shame. I got Huel with the intention of building up to having it for breakfast and lunch every day but at this rate I won’t be able to.