Sharing experience after 2 weeks on Huel

Hi all,

I’ve been now on Huel for 2 weeks and thought I drop a note to share my experience.
I went for the unsweetened / unflavoured gluten free version which is great to avoid sucralose and gluten, 2 poisons for the body :wink:

First of all the taste. I had to adapt to it for a few days but very surprised by the neutrality and after 2 weeks, instead of becoming fed up with it, I just love it. I make it simple, use water, put 50 g of blueberries (morning shake only), chocolate flavour (bought with Huel), and for the shake which follow my daily gym session, 40 g of Vega Protein berry flavour.
A bit lazy to try other mixes, and since I love the taste I don’t make the effort to change.

2nd thing, the digestion. I must admit that the first week has been very tough. I have to also say that I went straight into it, from day 1 at 4x120g + 1x60g the evening, and a ‘normal’ lunch. This stuff brings chemical warfare to a whole different level! Nauseous gas, stomach pain, some diarrheas…made it very hard to share the same space with anyone else without risking their lives. But then 2nd week has become more manageable. At the end of the week, stomach pain is gone, diarrheas as well, and although I must stay careful not to let anything get out in public, the occasions have decreased a lot. I am not sure it will all go down to 0 because having been on vegan proteins in the past, they tend to be hard to digest.

So all in all, very happy with the product! I took it for short term objective, as I am on a programme to get lean and in shape for a Christmas vacation in the Carribeans. Not sure about long term use, as I have a hard time to imagine it can replace real food. But fo my objectives it works nicely so far, 3 kg lost but more importantly (as I am not after weight loss), 2-3 % fat loss in 2 weeks. And last but not least, no cooking and measuring, which is the pain when on training diet with 4-5 meals a day where one needs to measure carbs-protein-fat intake.

Hope it helps other and happy to discuss more feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve also been trying Huel now for about 2 weeks, and I’m actually a bit surprised, I’m thriving on it!

I started by getting a trial pack of the vanilla variety (Gluten Free), and thought ‘hey this is ok’…so ordered enough to keep me stocked up for a while.

My goal is to lose fat, but I’m really don a breakfast fan, limited time in the morning and actually don’t get on with cereals very well. So I decided to introduce Huel to my diet gradually, starting with the breakfast I never normally eat.

I don’t have a blender, so I was shaking it up in the Huel bottle. So depending on how hungry I feel, I have either 1 or 2 scoops for breakfast. I started with weighing 100g but found that was too much for me for breakfast and I wasn’t then hungry until well after lunch.

After a few days, I started to have Huel for Lunch (3 scoops) - which actually turns out to be really convenient during busy working days, or days were I’m travelling around and maybe don’t get a break.

I have maintained an evening meal of ‘normal’ food during the week and at the weekend, I tend to only have Huel for breakfast and revert to ‘normal’ diet with friends/family etc.

Side effects : I’ve had a couple of days of gas and same with reflux /heartburn ; but both of these passed after a couple of days - I was concerned the heartburn was going to become a regular thing, but I think it’s a ‘volume’ related problem - too much water and stomach becomes over full and reflux appears ! - get the volume and duration of consumption right and it doesn’t seem to be a problem (sip don’t gulp!)

In the first couple of days, I found the Vanilla variety too sweet for my liking, I kind of got used to it, but I don’t naturally have a sweet tooth, so I have subsequently bought the unsweetened variety and will mix up as needed. I have had a couple of unsweetened since buying and I don’t mind it not being sweet, so probably next order will be for 100% of this type.

All in all, breakfast replacement gets full marks - more healthy than other options available which all contain too much sugar! - Lunch on the go - it’s great - quick and easy.
I doubt I’ll go for 100% food replacement, but it is something that is good to ‘snack-on’ because of the lower GI index etc…etc…

I.

2 Likes

Good input Ian thanks

JJ

Been using Huel for about 3 weeks now. It’s an acquired taste. I use the vanilla and I tend to have it warm in the morning with cocoa powder added and the straight vanilla at lunchtime. 75g breakfast and lunch made with 500ml water then “normal” tea - whatever husband is cooking (I work, he’s retired). Tried adding savory stuff and that wasn’t very successful but when I order again I will get a bag of unflavoured and experiment some more. Didn’t have it last week and have to say I really missed it - eating breakfast and lunch was do much more uncertain and complicated!

Hi @el_JJ, great to hear all about your experiences with Huel! Welcome to the forum :smiley:

Thanks a lot!

I’m sorry I didn’t mention when we last spoke that you shouldn’t have gone straight into it. If you switch from one diet whether that is healthy to healthy, poor to healthy etc., you can experience flatulence and irregular bowel movements, tiredness and/or cravings, etc. It’s not that the diet is bad it’s due to changes in the gut’s microbiome based on their new food source.

We recommend that when you start your Huel diet, you first try replacing 1 meal with Huel, and then after a while (approx. 5-7 days) you could progress to replacing 2 of your daily meals (and then 3, 4, etc. if you want to go 100% Huel). This will allow your body to slowly adjust to Huel.

Very few use Huel 100% to replace the ‘real food’ (Huel is real food!), we recommend Huel to be used as healthy convenience food 1-2 times a day.

Great to hear you are enjoying your experience over all!

1 Like

hi Tim,
I knew there would be inconvenience to introduce it that fast but was under tight time to get ready (lean) for a holiday :wink:
This week is getting better. Still some flatulence but nowhere near, and bowel movement is improving.

2 Likes