Simple One Pot Stove Top Biryani

My first bash at cooking with Huel Hot & Savoury Korma. Tried my hand at a biryani using garlic, onions, peas, green beans, cashews, pistachios and some meat substitute. I used a low GI rice blend of red and basmati rice with hulled millet and buckwheat. The Omni Meat mince I used made it very heavy so, in hindsight, I should have cooked it separately and folded it when cooked or used ‘meat’ strips or assorted veg instead.

Ingredients:

• 1 medium red onion finely chopped
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp biryani/curry paste
  • 1 scoop shelled pistachios
  • 1 scoop cashews
  • 1 scoop golden sultanas (optional)
  • Meat substitute (or assorted veg)
  • 3 scoops rice
  • 2 scoops Hot & Savoury Korma (or Madras)

Method:

1. Soak your rice 20-30 minutes before your start cooking
  2. Gently fry the onion and meat substitute in a little oil
  3. When browned, add the curry paste and nuts coating everything
  4. Add any chopped hard vegetables and stir in making sure everything is coated
  5. In a bowl/jug make up the Hot & Savoury with 400ml boiling water and leave to stand
  6. Drain the rice and fold into the pan mixture, continuing to fry for 5-10 minutes.
  7. Add the Hot & Savoury mixture plus remaining vegetables and sultanas.
  8. Add more boiling water to ensure everything is covered if need be - stir and bring to the boil.
  9. Put lid on and ensure any vent holes in the lid are blocked (I plugged them with a little kitchen roll) this will stop the rice burning on the bottom
  10. Cook (without removing lid) until almost all of the water has been absorbed (for me this was around 20 minutes)
  11. Turn off heat and leave to stand still covered for another ten minutes.
  12. Fluff the mixture up with a fork and serve in a bowl or even in a wraps to make an alternative burritos :joy:

5 Likes

The photo makes it look damn tasty.

1 Like

Had another go at the Hot & Savoury Korma Biryani recipe – ditched the meat substitute and instead, used more vegetables, cashews and pistachios with a little less low GI rice blend. Turned out heaps better with a lighter texture and fresher flavour.

4 Likes

Looks good Phil. I could probably have that if it’s not too spicy. :ramen::stew:

very mild - the pistachios, cashews, cherry tomatoes and raisins gave it a little sweetness too.

New Asian variety? :grin:

They give you a cheery wave …until you chop them up that is…

This looks amazing! :heart_eyes: