So I tried Mana

From 200, not 400. You said, [quote=“Julian, post:16, topic:4215”]
Having a scoop that measure out 200 cals is great if you want 200, 400, 600 cals. What if you want 500 cals?
[/quote]

So, to get to 500 calories with a 200-calorie scoop, you would do two and a half scoops.

To get to 500 calories from a 152-calorie scoop is 3.289 scoops.

2.5 scoops is easier than 3.289 scoops, right? What did I win in our bet? :smile:

1 Like

I agree that scales are much more precise. But, some people consider that an extra step. Does that make us lazy? Maybe. But one the benefits of Huel is the simplicity. So much easier to just scoop and shake. I don’t want to measure onto scale (more than five seconds, btw). And I don’t want to put in a blender. Do these steps make the experience more precise and less lumpy? Yes. But I prefer the convenience of skipping both.

(I should also use a scale with my coffee. But I don’t. Yay Team Lazy!)

2 Likes

@Ric the issue is guessing the half of scoop. If you get it wrong by 20% you be 40 cals out.

I’m only 44 cals out even if I add nothing. See the margin of error is much great trying to add 100 with a 200 cal scoop than it is adding a 44 cals with a 152 scoop.

PS. We have found out that 200 scoop doesn’t hold 200 cals it holds 203.5 cals.

The problem which scoop is two fold:

1. The increments are massive (e.g. 200cal) which means you will probably have to guess a 1/3 or half a scoop which is super inaccurate.
  2. They don’t hold the same same amount each time. With the Huel scoop it varies from 36g up to 43g. This will be multipled with 203.5cal scoop, my guess would be it will vary between 190cals and 215cals.
1 Like

If you are saying, “the issue is guessing half of scoop”, then I would retort, “it is a greater issue to guess 0.289 of scoop.”

If you are falling back on “the scoop is less accurate than a scale”, I think everyone agrees with you.

Our “bet” was if it is easier to get to 500 from 152 or to get to 500 from 200. As we say in the colonies, “Stop moving the goalposts.” :grinning:

I need to guess 44 cals, just less than a 1/3 of a scoop. so if I’m over by 20% that would 8.8cals

You need to guess 100 cals, just under half a scoop, so lets assume it’s easier and you are only 10% out. you will over 10 cal.

Good point. In order to be even more accurate, the scoops should be 10 calories. Then, even if you are over by 20%, it would be next to nothing.

Or, if you want to include scoops of one calorie each, 500 scoops will be error-free.

But sure, it seems important to you that you win, so I concede that 152-calorie scoop is the best; 200-calorie scoops are foolish.

@Julian = :trophy:

1 Like

Thank you.

@Ric great minds think alike.

We are considering switching to a slightly larger scoop with sloping sides that make the powder slide out easier.

Hi Julian,

I would approach the Metal Scoop issue in a different way.

There is nothing wrong with the plastic one, but the Mana one looks really good, and maybe there is someone (like me) who just likes the look.

An idea springs to mind: a metal scoop set based on calories, with scales, let’s say of 50 100 200 500 calories. Not to be given for free, but as a separate product.

Something to have like a set of cutlery.
Something you can hang in sets like these of Ikea.
Would look great.

I would love to pay for something like that.

We’re talking Huel here not Joylent. 50g Huel is 200kcal. I said that I’m using the 50g Joylent’s scoop not that I use Joylent.

We’re divided in two camps as Ric said. There exist the precise nutrition camp and the f**k it just give me the shake camp. You clearly belong to the first one so please don’t come here and tell us that you know better how to be more lazy than us dude :innocent: You have no idea how far we can go!

I hate scales (way more than 5secs btw (pls let the lazy know better(2 secs alone is the waiting time to calibrate(what’s wrong with you man)))) and blenders and cleaning. My shake time is maximum 3 seconds and the lumps in my mouth are a physical testament of the extra seconds of laziness gained :trophy: Can you feel my pride?

2 Likes

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:
The mind boggles. Hope no newbies are reading this. You sound like a bunch of dungeon and dragon nerds having a hand bags at dawn moment.
You crack me up.
I’m a scoop and go gal - putting my tuppence worth in.

4 Likes

Who exactly would be the recipients of this survey? If you’re asking your current customer base their answer will be “who cares, my first order has already been and gone”.

1 Like

It would be nice if Huel offered a stainless steel spoon, even if not free. I will make an order with Mana, just for the spoon (also a tiny bit just to have tried Mana and cross it off my list). A metal spoon with a metal shaker bottle is what i want to use long term.

Excuse me for being a bit dim…but what’s so great about a stainless steel spoon? I’d like a silver spoon.

Failing that…scales works for me.

Plastic absorbs smells. For the spoon, this is less of an issue but for the bottle, it’s really a thing (of course, you also need to clean them thoroughly), a few already smell a bit. And while I usually trust science when it comes to food I know plastics used in food and food packaging are not always ideal and can be linked to hormonal changes (this would apply more to things like water bottles and such, and even BPA free), so short term I don’t give it a second thought, long term is different. Lastly, the handle of my scoops tend to bend when I have to scoop the last meal out of it, I prefer a sturdier scoop. For you, this might not seem important at all, but I prefer stainless steel, ceramic and stone, and glass for most of my kitchen stuff. I personally don’t use scales since I find scoops to be way more convenient and I’m not looking for precision.

3 Likes

Good points, thanks. What would you recommend as a good quality glass or metal vessel for 700ml of Huel. I use BPA free shakers, but I think your advice is good…especially as I store liquid Huel overnight in fridge.

I’ve just ordered an insulated 740 ml metal bottle for this purpose - (Cayman Fitness are the make)

1 Like

How do you get the Huel into your Cayman water bottle? Do you have to blend it and pour it in? Any problems with if you forget to wash it for a day?

It only arrived this morning, so I’ll keep you posted on that. :wink:

I’m planning on blending and then filling, and will likely need a funnel to avoid spillage. I’ve bought some bottle brushes for cleaning purposes…

I’d guess any likely issues to be similar to those experienced with the metal Huel bottle, though this will keep the Huel cold/hot.

700ml? Something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reflex-R-Stainless-Steel-700ml-Shaker-Bottle-Perfect-For-Blender-Of-Whey-Protein-/142039251846
Of course, if you also want to make it in this bottle it will be impossible to shake since it’s completely filled up. Alternatively, a large thermos flask might work.

By the way, this metal wide opening funnel is what I use to help scoop in de powder more easily:

It’s a life saver, so far it works great on the bottles of all powdered meals I’ve tried. Scooping it in is a lot faster and no powder that ends up outside of the bottle.

1 Like

Hey, that looks good. I meant 700ml volume, because my Huel shakes are 550ml and I am hoping that 700ml would allow me to shake it. My BPA free plastic shakers are 700ml volume and they shake fine. Any idea if it works ok like that?

The funnel is neat too.

Tempted to invest in both… :slight_smile: