Spiced butternut squash and huel soup

This recipe is very versatile and you could switch up the vegetables to whatever you have or whatever you like. The spices can also be varied to taste. And obviously the amount of Huel can be changed to suit your needs.
But, here’s what I did, and it was AWESOME!

• Put 300g cubed butternut squash in a large pan on the hob
  • Add enough cold water to cover, and add spices. I used:
    Ground cinnamon (1/2 tsp)
    Ground cloves (1/4 tsp)
    Coriander seeds (2 tsp)
    Cumin seeds (2 tsp)
    Coriander leaf (2 tsp)
    Mustard seeds (1 tsp)
    Black pepper (sprinkle)
    Garam masala (1/2 tsp)
    Ground ginger (1/2 tsp)
    Ground turmeric (2 tsp)
    Ground fenugreek (1/2 tsp)
    Himalayan pink salt (pinch)
    1 birds eye chilli
    Asafoetida (1/4 tsp)
    Chopped garlic (1 tsp)
    1 organic kallo vegetable stock cube
    (n.b I didnt actually measure what I was chucking in but these quantities give you a rough idea: use whatever suits your own taste)
  • Gently heat on the hob and stir occasionally until the butternut squash is soft
  • Take off the heat and blend well (I just used a hand-held stick blender)
  • Heat until gently bubbling, stirring all the time
  • Take off the heat and add 150g unflavoured unsweetend Huel, and some freshly boiled water
  • Blend well, adding a little more boiled water as you go until you reach the consistency and thickness you require (I think I added roughly 1 litre hot water)
  • No need to cook the Huel, or reheat: it will be piping hot and ready to eat!

This recipe made 4 large bowls of spicy butternut Huel Soup and was delicious!

Calories for the entire recipe is 720kcal.

5 Likes

Sounds yummy! I have most but not all of those herbs and spices but must try it out with what I have :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely - not all of them are necessary! and you could add others!
Garam masala is a great mixed spice that could replace most of the others, in fact it would probably be just as good with just garam masala, salt, black pepper, chilli and garlic

No garlic for me but will substitute asafoetida and dried chives.

1 Like

I LOVE garlic, but its not needed at all - just personal preference!
Personally I don’t tend to eat onion or peppers, but anyone who does, adding in some fried onions and peppers makes the flavour incredible with this sort of recipe.

I am about to make my own low fodmap curry powder. A spoonful of that should suffice when I get round to making the soup.

1 Like

If I made it again, I would probably use more vegetables: maybe squash, sweet potato, carrots, peppers - I think that would make it even tastier!

Definitely share the recipe for the curry powder - I would be interested!

This is the one I’m going to follow

2 Likes

That spice mix would be perfect for the soup!
It’s never occurred to me to pre-mix my own curry powder before now.
I always have a cupboard full of whole and ground spices, and just chuck in what I think will taste nice, each time I cook.
I dont think I’ve ever bought a pre-mixed curry powder either, with the exception of garam masala, but to be honest I very rarely use it.
That article claims there is no FODMAP curry powder but garam masala is usually FODMAP, but you do have to be careful as the ingredients can vary depending on where you buy it.

1 Like

Yes ingredients do vary. Hence me giving this recipe a try. I do like a good curry but don’t like the nasty aftereffects some give me. I fancy trying a quorn curry with it.

1 Like

Yep! That’ll be the onion and garlic! As long as you don’t include them in your cooking you can still enjoy curry to your hearts content.

Yes I know. I have had IBS for years, hence the garlic and onion alternatives.

Interesting. I suffer from IBS on and off too, but haven’t had it really bad in a while. So I’ve got a bit lazy about watching my diet. I do avoid onions but I seem fine with garlic. But then again I do get issues now and then - maybe I need to try a total FODMAP diet for a while and see if it helps. That website you linked to looks really helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Is this normal? Am I doing adulting wrong by just having salt and pepper in my cupboard…? I clearly need to up my spice game

5 Likes

That’s only about a third of my selection of herbs and spices in my cupboard :laughing:

But yes! Spice up your game !! :joy:

Or just buy yourself a massive bag of garam masala and chuck some of that in…

3 Likes

Not tried cinnamon & coffee in Huel for a winter treat then? :yum:

2 Likes

I might have this for breakfast :slight_smile:

1 Like