Starting Huel with a newborn baby in tow

Hi there! I’ll be updating this thread for anyone who’s interested in an experience from a new mum. I’ve decided to go on Huel as it seemed to be the most simple and economic solution to ensuring that I’m nourished enough during this time.

Stats:
130 lbs
5.7ft
BMI - 20.3

About me: I’ve been finding myself buying bits and pieces for lunch in attempt to stay healthy, but being too tired to make anything and having it all go to waste. I then tend to overeat in the evening to compensate. So this seemed like a solution to keeping my energy levels topped up during the day. As I’m nursing, it’s even more important for me to ensure that I’m getting a sufficient calorie intake.

I’m on the second day right now, replacing two meals and having an evening meal with my son and partner later on. So far, feel a little acid reflux-y but expect this will settle soon. Certainly feel like I have a little bit more energy, and hopefully if this keeps up I will be able to gradually decrease my caffeine intake. The big result that I’m hoping for is that my energy levels balance out and I’m no longer counting on spikes to get things done.

I’m finally getting use out of my nutribullet again! It’s perfect for getting the Huel as smooth as possible. I’m currently on three scoops for breakfast and also for lunch. This gives me around 600 calories to work with for the rest of the day, plus a little extra to compensate for the nursing if I feel that I need it. I will update once I’ve finished the week! Nice to meet you all :smile:

Welcome and congratulations!

1 Like

Sounds great.

Wish I’d had Huel when we had our first baby as I ate a lot of junk to try and overcome the lack of sleep!

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks guys :slightly_smiling:

Four days in and going rather well! My milk supply actually seems to have improved, although it’s too soon to say if that’s due to Huel perhaps. Spikes have certainly eased and I haven’t needed an afternoon nap in the last couple of days. So far so good, and haven’t seemed to have had any ill effects.

I think I might try splitting the servings up at home a little as I tend to graze a bit if I’m staying in for the day. Thinking three two-scoop servings and a small evening meal. Also considering savoury options for the unflavoured variety…wondering if it could work as a soup substitute? Hmm.

Sorry for not updating. I went back to my old hometown for a week so left the Huel at home during the visit :slightly_smiling:

Can quite easily replace two of my meals with Huel now. Definitely seems to be contributing to a healthy milk supply and balancing my energy levels! Has anyone worked well with the unsweetened? Thinking it might work well mixed into soup.

Sounds great.

Wish I’d had Huel when we had our first baby as I ate a lot of junk to try and overcome the lack of sleep!

Good luck!

1 Like

This message was written by someone else with exactly the same wording… I’m confused…?

I was about to echo that weird repeated message and say I wish Huel existed when my daughter was a newborn and I was too tired to eat…!

Since Huel is based on oats, which are a galactagogue food, I’d imagine this is why it supports a good milk supply.