Suggestions for diet after gallbladder removal?

I have just had surgery and want to start a new healthier lifestyle by healing my body and losing weight, and would like to know if any of the products are best suited when gallbladder free?
I am restricting food so much at the moment through fear of not being able to digest it properly, but want to ensure I get the correct nutrition to replace meals healthily, and compensate for deficiencies…I don’t know where to begin!

My gallbladder was removed 8 years ago. I started consuming Huel about 5.5 years ago because I, too, wanted a healthier lifestyle after surgery and was concocting green smoothies with various ‘superfood’ powders along with fresh greens, fruit, nuts and seeds. I was very happy with the diet except it was rather time consuming and complicated to understand whether I was getting all the nutrition elements in approximately the right quantities (and pricey). So when Huel came along I switched straightaway to save time and money. I have at least one Huel everyday for sure and two quite often and normal food for the other meal.
So far, I’ve only felt the effects of the cholosystectomy once, perhaps twice after having had extremely large fat-rich meal - probably a restaurant or hotel meal; can’t remember now. It passed fairly quickly. My diet is mostly plant-based so naturally low in saturated fats.

1 Like

Hey @Joanna319 - welcome to the Huel forum! Firstly, I am sending you all the positive vibes post-op. I know the world of nutrition can be super complex and confusing, but it’s incredible to see you’re here and looking to figure out what can work for you!

If it’s alright, I wanted to ask (and feel free to drop me a private direct message, if preferred!):

• How long ago was your surgery?
  • What kinds of things are you currently consuming and tolerating?
  • Have you been given any guidance on what to consume/avoid at this time?

I ask as typically in the immediate stages post-op, the recommendation can be first clear liquids and then advance per the doctor to lower fat foods to start until the body adjusts a bit, where you then move to a regular dietary intake (as tolerated). Some may also just move from clear liquids to a regular dietary intake depending on the doctor, medical history, etc., which is also why I asked!

I also wanted to mention that the body is amazing in that it can adjust to producing bile (which helps to break down fat) in the liver as you eat, rather than pulling from storage in the gallbladder. I know it can be super nerve-wracking, but it will adjust!

Let me know and happy to chat further. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I’m very much the same, not having the time or energy to do all the prep and it’s good to know this has worked for you.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
My surgery was on the 12th and I was put on IV antibiotics for 24 hrs, then sent home with 2 strong antibiotics for 4 days as the gallbladder was badly infected and had burst with a hole in it.
I did ok, just having a bit of clear soup at first then adding muesli, yogurt and banana, based on internet advice as no, my doctor gave no guidance at all except can eat as normal, which didn’t feel right. I have been sipping a Huel throughout the day as well, with the only difference in digestion being a bit constipated rather than the opposite I was expecting!

I am still very bloated and swollen but doing ok until I started feeling very dizzy and sick on the 18th, which has been getting worse so not eaten much but trying to keep fluids up.

Going forwards, I want to give my body the best opportunity to heal, lose weight and get some energy back with the right ratios of nutrients etc, but don’t know which Huel would best fit with regards to fats, proteins and nutrients as I know there can be deficiencies from lack of fat absorption. It would be very convenient to base my diet around Huel, as I am mostly bedbound with M.E and don’t have the energy to be faffing around making meals!

Of course! Happy to help.

How have you been doing in terms of fluids/hydration? With higher fiber foods like Huel, you also want to be sure you’re getting in adequate fluids! I know you mentioned you’ve been trying to keep them in a good spot, but wanted to confirm.

Sorry to hear this :frowning: Have you been in contact with your doctors in this regard? If not, I would be sure to touch base with them for guidance!

So long as you don’t have any dietary restrictions and are tolerating Huel ok - I don’t see why it couldn’t be part of your intake. However, as you mentioned constipation, the only thing I’d note is to be sure you’re getting in adequate fluids when consuming higher fiber foods like Huel.

Which Huel product are you consuming and how much do you estimate you consume of Huel each day?

Let me know and you got this! :slight_smile:

Sorry for late reply, I was admitted to hospital after the vertigo & sickness became severe and just got home.
In response to your questions, I was drinking 2 litres of water a day but obviously became dehydrated with the sickness so was on a drip to rehydrate and get bp back up to normal. Now I’m home and getting back to eating and drinking again. I have been having a chocolate drink for breakfast and another for lunch with plenty of water and my gut has settled down a lot (no more constipation or diarrhoea thank god) but still feeling dizzy and sick. This is possibly side effect from 2 strong antibiotics taken after surgery. Am I using the best product for nutritional balance with no gallbladder?

No worries, Joanna! So sorry to hear this though - how are you feeling now? Sending you all the well wishes throughout the recovery process too.

If it’s alright, I wanted to confirm - Is the chocolate drink you mentioned Huel or something else? If it’s Huel, which product range, and if not, which product is it? Let me know!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.