Throat irritation?

I experienced an OAS type reaction very mildly with v2.3 but have found it far more pronounced with Huel Black (not tried v3). It’s a similar sensation to that I get eating melon or very ripe banana.

Is there scope to get a refund on the remaining 2 unopened bags I have or swap them to try v3?

yep, Returns Policy – Huel

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear this. It’s possible due to the flaxseed which is in higher amounts in Black Edition vs out core v2.3/v3.0 versions.

As John has said you can get a refund on any unopened pouches.

Thank guys, appreciate that

How about reactions to the core v3.0 versions? I’ve ruled out kelp.

Interesting. I wonder if the higher amount of flaxseed is what has caused my tummy troubles with the Black edition. I have had no such problems with the v3.0 powder.

It could be any number of reasons. I don’t know your symptoms, whether you’ve consumed Huel v2.3 before, what flavours you have, how long they take to come on etc.

If you think you’re having trouble with something reduce your intake and then build it back up, but it could very well be another factor in your life.

It could be the higher protein content, again it’s hard to pin down exactly what the cause is with digestive issues.

I’ve previously used v2.3 daily without any problem at all. The vanilla v3.0 causes a scratchy sensation in my throat when I drink it and then a persistent irritation which lasts about a day. I quit drinking it for a fortnight, but the same thing happened when I tried it again afterwards.

I would suggest not consuming Huel v3.0 anymore. You can check out the changes here from v2.3 to v3.0.

You changed the flavouring method between v2.3 and v3.0? right? From whatever it was before to ‘natural flavouring’? This appears to be the issue for me, specifically the v3.0 vanilla, no trouble with other flavours I’ve tried. I don’t suppose you could provide more detail about what the flavouring consists of, not asking you to divulge your secret recipe, obvs ;), as it seems I’ve an allergy to it.

Yes that’s correct. Unfortunately not due to the relationship we have with our flavour suppliers we can’t

If you manage to determine what you are specifically allergic to then we can let you know if that allergen is part of the flavouring system.

Sorry I can’t be of more help for now, I know it’s not ideal!

I don’t know if this will help, but I’m getting a similar reaction with Metamucil. This may be a specific allergy I have.

My ideas would be a gluten-intolerance or allergy.

If you suspect an allergy you could try to take an antihistamine before drinking your shake. If that helps it might be advisable to have a prick-test done to find out what you’re allergic to. Every non-essential ingredient in Huel would be a candidate then.

To estimate whether your problems might be with gluten Black Edition or the gluten-free powder should be worth a try (although they’re a bit more expensive). If you definitely want to rule-out a gluten-intolerance an upper endoscopy plus tissue sample would be necessary, though.

Just had my first ever Huel ( Black edition banana flavor) arrive after being really keen to try this new way of life and immediately it’s made my throat swollen and irritated. Pretty annoyed after spending £53. Please can you reply to this as I’d like Huel to pick the two bags I purchased back up and have a full refund. I have never been allergic to anything in my life and this is a horrible feeling in my throat.

Does an antihistamine help? What you describe does sound like an allergic reaction. Have you been exposed to all of the ingredients of Huel so far? Allergies normally happen at second exposure, never at the first exposure…sometimes they even develop not before you have been exposed to something for several times, as antibodies have to be formed first before a reaction can take place.

Your GP could do a so called prick test to see what you might be allergic to. There is not much that you could be allergic to in Huel, though. None of the ingredients is a typical allergen, and the histamine content is also pretty low. Did you use a flavour addition? Have you prepared your shake with water only? Did you have some other food simultaneously or shortly before or after Huel consumption?

Maybe you want to try another Huel product with different ingredients - maybe that works better for you.

If you want to return your order: Only unopened bags can be sent back for a refund.

Hey Kevin, I’m really sorry to hear this! There are some less common ingredients in Huel which you may not have had before such as flaxseed and tapioca which may have caused the reaction you’re describing. If you want to be sure you can chat to your GP.

To help you out with a refund I’ve tagged @Charlotte_Huel who’s part of the CE team.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that it may not be suitable for some people and I’m absolutely fine with that but I would like you guys to know my throat is still really sore and swollen as is my partners who also tried it after me!

@Charlotte_Huel please can you let me know the process of gaining a refund?

Many thanks Kevin

@Stoddy33 Sorry to hear that Kevin, Of course.

If you could please drop an email to team@huel.com along with your order number we’ll see what we can do for you on our end with a refund.

Thanks Charlotte

I’ve just replied in a separate email.

Regard
Kevin

Hey all, I’m having the same issue and was glad to see I’m not alone.

Has anybody figured out a solution to this issue for them or what is causing the reaction?

Would be too bad to have to stop drinking huel…