Too much protein? Osteoporosis?

Hi there! First of all, I’m sorry for my English, is not my main language.

I have a question about protein based on something I’ve read, but I don’t know if it’s true.

When you take too much protein, the body cannot absorb all the amino acids, so these amino acids are going to make the blood more acid, and calcium is extracted from bones to neutralize this acidity, leading to osteoporosis. Can it be true?

Thanks for your answers.

I remember reading something similar but seem to recall this only happened if you were not taking enough calcium in your diet as well - if you were it had no effect.

Perhaps @JamesCollier could chip in.

Hi @hueler2

Thanks for your message.

I too have seen this said, but there is also a deal of research linking a too low protein intake with osteopenic-related fractures in elderly; indeed, there’s concern that the RDAs are too low.

@Phil_C is correct and sufficient calcium is important (Huel is high in calcium), as it vitamin D and impact exercise (eg walking). A good omega-3 intake to reduce inflammation is also important for protection.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your answers, and for answering so fast. I think sometimes it is very difficult to be sure what is best for our health, even when reading studies about it.

I think the problem exists mainly for sulfur-containing amino acids in animal protein, as it alters your acid-base-metabolism.

You just have to remember that there is also some “evidence” for increasing bone strength with a higher-protein diet: https:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/pmc/articles/PMC5772967/

Personally I don’t think that one parameter has that huge an effect - it’s “multifactorial”.

1 Like