'Trust me, I'm a doctor' - tonight, BBC2, 8:30pm

My breakfast pre-Huel was usually Starbucks coffee and some sort of chocolate. Terrible diet and even people who eat better than that don’t usually have the most optimal meals do they? I hate that these so called experts always gloss over this when talking about Huel. Absolutely I think it’s important to have at least one regular meal alongside Huel but Huel contains more nutritional value than a lot of the junk I eat…

2 Likes

A post natal psychiatrist should have a better idea of nutrition and diet, especially if he is aware of depression research. I say this because of the physical health-mental health reciprocal link. Most health professionals are becoming more aware of diet and mood and diet and mental wellbeing. The research into this is also increasing.

Its also comparing vegan to none vegan. Wonder if they would come the same conclusion if they did.

1 Like

The coverage of Huel in this programme irked me for many of the reasons people have talked about - but mainly because this is always how liquid meals/meal shakes are covered; asking someone who has never tried them before to “do an experiment”. The results are almost always subjective and negative because the people undertaking the experiment are not Huel’s natural consumers… Anyway, I wrote something about it:

8 positive things about meal shakes that are never reported in the mainstream media

16 Likes

Thanks Karl, loved the article. Was waving my fist whilst reading it wishing everyone could read it!

1 Like

Yeah that article nailed it! The guy really understood the essence of why people use Huel.

1 Like

That’s an interesting question. If macronutrients and calories are matched I think they would.

What is a vegan breakfast?

A breakfast without animal products.

3 Likes

this is my local cafe’s best vegan breakfast - sautéed eggplant and pesto rolls, tomatoes, eryngii mushrooms, salad, dairy free berry yoghurt and almond milk latte.

2 Likes

Yes I understand that. I mesn what does it contain apart from mushrooms, grapefruits, baked beans, hash browns and porridge. I am not a vegan that is why I am asking. I dont know anyone who is a vegan.

I am quite traditional with my food. I will probably only eat the salad, mushrooms and tomatoes. That aside, how does that compare nutritionally to Huel?

Eggplant is very nutrient dense however the amount in the rolls combined with the salad and yogurt probably doesn’t amount to the same RDA as a Huel shake would - it is however in total a lot less calories - probably around 200 all in.

To be honest I usually have a breakfast like this at the weekends more as a change and some extra variety eating solids as during the week days my diet is more or less 80-90% Huel.

I use Huel for breakfast on 5 days a week. On the weekends I have a cooked fish breakfast (usually kippers or haddock or salmon), or a cooked traditional breakfast.

That’s cos they are all stranded on desert islands with just a pig for company.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was saying to my wife last night after we watched it regarding the time and measuring saved by huel as I suspect it’s really fussy measuring your food out exactly every time to come up with the same ratios and in reality not many people will bother to do that.

No - it is because we are all dead as there is no non-animal protein sources!

2 Likes

I measure once every 2/3 shakes which takes about ten minutes, which is a lot faster than preparing 2 or 3 meals!

Reading your post after @hunzas made me think you were saying to your wife that all vegans are stranded on a deserted island with a pig for company… :rofl::rofl:

I had to read that twice haha

1 Like

I’ve seen a few examples of media coverage of Huel but none of them really explain the versatility and how it’s used very differently by different people.

I know some use it as food replacement, others as a weight loss aid and the coverage tends to only focus on each of these, and usually in isolation.

For me personally it has multiple purposes:

1. Adding quick to make and eat extra calories to help me gain weight as I have a fast metabolism
  2. Topping up certain minerals and amino acids (iodine, iron, protein etc) as I eat a mainly vegetarian diet which are notoriously difficult to balance nutrionally unless you are careful.
  3. Filling my sweet tooth - like most people I’m trying to cut back on sugar but I tend to always want a dessert in the evening. Instead of a binge on cake, biscuits and chocolate I’m now fairly satisfied with a sweet Huel (loving the banana pre-mix!). Much more nutrionally dense as well.
  4. As a post-workout recovery shake - probably not as specifically tailored for this as others on the market but saves buying another product.

I still eat reasonably healthy solid food for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus snacks, but I’m no nutritionist and I hate cooking so my standard diet is definitely not perfect. Huel just fits in as a nice “top-up” for me, probably taking me from a 70% diet to an 80%!