'Trust me, I'm a doctor' - tonight, BBC2, 8:30pm

Yes, but but I think it would be harder to reach the same macro’s with vegan products. Just one of the reasons why Huel is so great.

1 Like

I saw the accompanying article a week ago and was annoyed.

Annoyed that the “experiment” used exactly one participant (and of course it was a man).

Annoyed that the dieticians decided that “long-term” usage of Huel was… four days.

But mostly annoyed that they compared it to a breakfast of “toast, smoked salmon, spinach, egg, yoghurt, fruit and nuts.” Yeah, I guess I should be asking my butler to go to the market and pick up ingredients to make that every morning? Why didn’t I ever think of that?

Their comparison meal should have been something people actually choose to eat when they don’t want to cook. For me, it’s either 500 cal of Huel for lunch when I’m working of a 900 cal frozen pizza. I’m not going out and getting half a dozen fresh ingredients to make a complicated meal - I’m going to eat junk food or Huel. I would actually like to hear if a dietician thinks I’m making the wrong choice and believes that junk food is better for whatever reason.

Huel is vegan, easy to make, and cheap, which their alternative was not. I would love to eat “toast, smoked salmon, spinach, egg, yoghurt, fruit and nuts” for breakfast every day, but it’s not going to happen because I just don’t have the time to do it, I won’t measure them out correctly so I’d end up eating a lot more calories, and I will probably end up snacking on them throughout the day because they’re around.

4 Likes

Thanks Hyacinth, I think a lot of people think the same.

The test was for a TV show so it was just a small comparison hence only one person and the 4 days was mentioned as “longer term”, I don’t think anyone would say 4 days is long term.

The reason they compared it to that breakfast is because that’s what had to be included to match Huel nutritionally. What would have been nice is if the producers of the show made this more apparent and also mentioned how long it took to make this meal because you’re right this is exactly where Huel comes in.

Perfect!

I don’t know why they thought that was a useful experiment. A lot of viewers will get the impression that it’s better to have a traditional breakfast, even if their traditional breakfasts are crap.

Seems a bit weird you’re mad the test participant was a man, what did us men do? We drink huel too ;(

1 Like

I think it’s that women simply aren’t fairly represented in programmes/information about diet and nutrition. Institutional patriarchy like this has to be highlighted @JewyB.

1 Like

Because the experiment was to look at the health and metabolic effects of a wholefood diet matched for macronutrients vs Huel. However, the programme was edited in such a way that this comes across differently to the study aim, which is made clear in the write up.

So was it kind of…

This is Huel. It’s a drink who’s makers say it’s nutritionally complete and as healthy as this well balanced meal (points at salmon) - I know right!? Let’s do some tests and see if these two nutritionally complete food options are comparative in terms of the complete nutrition they give us.

(Sarcasm not withstanding, anything that get you infront of more people is great. I just wish it had been more of a real world example - eg: Declan the Designer who hasn’t eaten breakfast for two years before Huel, or Jimmy the PHP Dev that only ate prawn cocktail crisps for lunch before he discovered coffee huel).

Sorry, as a regular old dude its easy to see why i find the idea of patriarchy silly :stuck_out_tongue:

It was a one person study, its very hard to be diverse and represent everyone with one person, right?

With regards to the study including 1 male. What is most important is the sampling method us3d to get that 1 participant.

Almost! The comparison was in terms of some health markers, how full each meal made the person feel and metabolism.

I think everyone is agreed this is what we want to see because it’s more applicable to people who have moved from a previous meal/diet to Huel.

1 Like

Still good coverage though eh!

You should do a YouTube series or Facebook watch thing, call it “Meet the Hueligans” where you pick some typical avatars of customer types and do a millennial style cut of who they are, what they ate, how they found Huel, then what they now eat and how they’re happier. Little 3minute things people will identify with.

Maybe have a rogue nutritionist pop up in it playing a Hamburgler character that just doesn’t get it and has to have things explained over and over to them in increasingly simple terms until their heads explode like in that David Cronnenburg film.

Ok maybe not the heads exploding, but the rest is a solid idea - I have expect a byline :wink:

1 Like

Besides which I thought women just eat chocolate and cake.

1 Like

…and biscuits and crisps…and ice cream.

1 Like

I know some of them eat children whole then poop them out after a few months :o

2 Likes

they sound like my type of gals.

Haha love it :laughing:

But Huel itself also almost never test with women…

See: https://eu.huel.com/pages/one-month-on-huel-trials

Two participants, both male.

And: https://eu.huel.com/pages/a-summary-five-weeks-on-a-100-huel-diet

Five participants, four male and only one female.

I believe at the time those were volunteers and there were just more men up for the science than there were women. Huel’s demographic has shifted a fair bit since then mind, so any redo’s would likely be more balanced.

2 Likes

Yeap Tristan is right Deborah they were volunteers we didn’t purposely seek out only men.

When we do taste testings or any development we have a range of different participants.

Even the nutritionals that Huel is based on e.g. 2000kcal is for the average woman!

2 Likes