V3.0 is here!

I will carry on weighing mine as I am happy with 500 calories per shake as a meal size

Huel has several ingredients. Because GI relates to carbohydrate-containing foods, people often only think of GI in relation to carbs. However, other nutrients and ingredients affect GI, particularly fats which lower it. Tapioca flour is a very low inclusion and oats are bar far the largest. Also flaxseed has a decent carb content and is a low GI.

There’s a bunch of reasons why the GI figure could vary. For example:

• The MCT powder and sunflower oil powder ingredients are now sourced as higher concentration with less carrier. It’s possible that this has had an affect. We haven’t mentioned this in our v3.0 updates, as, quite honestly, it’s not very exciting to talk about!

• Have the acerola cherries had an affect? Doubtful, but it’s a different ingredient so entirely possible.

• There can be differences just based on the people that take part in the GI test. For example, there were small differences between Huel US v1.1 and Huel UK v2.3 yet the US v1.1 had a GI of 19 and the UK v2.3 had a GI of 27. The ingredients were only slightly different.

A low GI is anything below 55. if we were to do the test again, it’s entirely possible we’d get a slightly different GI value. Ultimately, this is a good result. So, as much as I want to be credited for a Hogwartesque-education, the lower GI value is just the way scientific tests go! :mage:

7 Likes

Thanks! Nice to know

I still can see you in an ad for Huel cooking. That would be great

Hey, looking forward to trying out the new powder! I’m just a bit confused by the high amount of Vitamin C (150 mg/1000 kcal). The national Finnish recommendation is 34 mg/1000 kcal, which is adjusted to be suitable for people at risk. They state 1000 mg as the safe daily limit. The articles you referenced on the Principal Changes page we’re not really convincing, as they mostly talked about safety instead of benefits. The paper that emphasized benefits was published in the Journal of alternative and complementary medicine, which sounds dubious at best.

This, coupled with your (marketing) emphasis on “being natural” makes me a bit worried. I’ve come to expect a scientific basis for everything Huel. Please don’t lose that :sweat:

I’ve also heard lots of claims of kombucha lowering the GI of other food it is eaten with. I can’t say whether this is true or just hype, but the same is said for vinegar and certainly in my own experience of testing my blood sugars after meals, vinegar really does seem to have a positive effect in this regard so I guess it’s possible with kombucha also.

Anyway, all that matters is that we can be confident it has a low GI and we don’t really need to pick it apart because we consume it as a product as a whole.

It’s interesting tho how wildly the test results can vary and makes me think that GI tests should probably be repeated a minimum number of times across a wide variety of test subjects, and the results averaged to be more meaningful (I don’t mean just for Huel, but for all foods, especially ones made up of numerous ingredients). Saying that tho, there will still be quite a large variation over seasons etc as the raw ingredients will vary naturally.

1 Like

How can it possibly be

When the ingredients state

You’re saying “Hey this is absolutely vegan! Except it might not be vegan at all!” Pick one. Vegan or not? Plants only or not?

It isn’t difficult to make sure kelp is clean, loads of vegan companies manage it.

I wish I had paid attention sooner and stocked up on V2.3 - allergic to fish and shellfish :frowning: what are your tolerances? 1 fish bit per bag? I mean it’s clearly false advertising on the vegan part but if there was any idea of how likely it was to contain fish or how much fish could reasonably be in it, people with mild allergies could at least have a better idea.

I feel sorry for all the vegans who trust the advertising but didn’t read all the ingredients before ordering :confused:

Is V2.3 still going to be offered?

1 Like

I still think “0 animal products” can’t be used but yeah with the info you provided I suppose they could say vegan as it’s intended to be vegan but still seems a massive grey area on their wording choices and technicalities.

Interested to see how likely and what % could be expected. I’m okay with trace amounts but I’d rather know worst case how much could be in it if that makes sense?

1 Like

traces…or half a shark if you get a duff bag

3 Likes

If it were a quarter of a shark it would be almost vegan if that shark was on Finding Nemo. Fish are friends, not food!

2 Likes

I don’t have any fish friends - apart from Michael. But yeah, I don’t eat 'em.

1 Like

Also I keep reading this as “half a shark in a duffel bag” - is this why you no longer have fish friends lol

But yeah if we are talking traces like the odd scale got caught up in a whole batch I’d feel much safer than a single bag with a whole ground prawn in it sort of thing.

I guess I’m going to have to trust it and try. Very nervous about it though and yeah again buy your kelp from someone who doesn’t mix fish in on accident lol

1 Like

“After all, it is possible for companies to create chocolate on dairy-free premises, it is just more expensive for them to do so. But if you are a company selling vegan products, you should adhere to a higher standard”.

1 Like

And from the same piece:

“This is about avoiding animal ingredients as far as is possible and practical. When harvesting crops, there will be some cross contamination with insects, despite best industry practices being in place. It’s not desirable, but it’s unavoidable.”

Personally, as long as Huel tries not to harm animals as much as it can, I’m fine with unwittingly eating 0.0001% of an unlucky prawn that was sleeping in the kelp farm.

6 Likes

Harvesting the raw materials used in Huel will doubtless cause innocent creatures to be harmed. Digging up your organic potatoes will inadvertently harm a worm one day…they are long and wriggly and get in the way of a sharp spade.

Vegans do the best they can…which is generally arguing with bacon trolls on Facebook.

5 Likes

I haven’t that term before. Are they like mutant gammons?

Exactly. They eat ground up bits of pig arseholes and sawdust that is then encased in a sheep’s intestine and wrapped in slices of dead pig as a festive treat. Renowned for their red faces and desire to get Brexit dung (whatever that is).

4 Likes

Better than people who claim to be vegan/vegetarian but eat fish like a fish is a subspecies of carrot.

I guess it’s more concerning that they can’t wash kelp properly than anything. I’m not vegan but allergic - their wording just seems hypocritical.

I get animals and bugs etc will be hurt by food production of any kind, lots of small animals get caught in combines - FYI baby deer are a pain in the arse to get out of a combine - but yep it happens.

I imagine it’s a heads up because it could possibly at some point happen so their lawyers made them add it, like most food plants have a tolerance of bug parts per batch (yes spiders are in your chocolate bars) so would be interested in the tolerance for fish parts I guess.

Traces - fine, but if it’s half a shark in a duffel bag and I hope they recall that lol

Still seems like it shouldn’t be called vegan if there is a solid chance of animal parts in the food itself though.

2 Likes

To be fair food labelling is a lot better in the UK than in the US. They stick any old bollocks in their food (literally in many cases). The EU is far more stringent than US FDA. Still we’ll soon be out of the EU and anything will go…chlorinated chicken sounds delish.

4 Likes

I moved to the UK from the US, they dont even have to list things below a certain % in things for most states except nuts, has been killing people for years but We MuSt PrOTeCT oUr ReCIpeS!! I was having allergic reactions weekly, where here I get one once every 6 months or so and normally due to my own stupidity.

Leaving the EU without guides in place for things like this is going to be a shitshow.

6 Likes