Weight loss - too many carbs

Jeez, I wish I had 6.8% bodyfat…I’d be shredded as fuarkkkkk!

1 Like

But i do NOT have six pack or even four pack. I’ve an ugly (but small) belly.

Now tell me how to fix THIS problem! :slight_smile:

P.S: Well, my belly has improved somewhat aesthetically since I started running.

2nd P.S: And the nutritionist recommended training the oblique muscles. I’ll try this now.

This is complete nonsense. Do you realise what 6.8% bodyfat looks like?

It’s literally elite level bodybuilding, say a week before comp.

If you’re going to claim this, please post photos to prove it before misleading people…

Edit: Here’s 5% http://storage.sfd.pl/1/images2009/20091125212455.jpg

Eheh, it may very well be a measurement error. Can you recommend some measurement procedure?

I’m not a bodybuilder, I’m closer to “anorexia” or more recently “orthorexia”. I’m not sure what’s typical body fat percentage of people with these problems. Maybe it’s similar to bodybuilders?

-> https://height-weight-chart.com/605-140.html

I’m like this guy, but 10cm less in height, and a 6kg less in weight, and a small “hill” just below my navel.

EDIT: He also has an “hill” just below his navel. We’re similar but his is smaller (in proportion). I think this is the healthy shape of human body. What’s not healthy are the visible bones of rib cage or the very lean arms.

Oh, my word. Okay… I take it back. I didn’t quite realise there was another end to the spectrum…

Perhaps you’re not that far off. I’d guess he’s more around 10% bodyfat with exceptionally small muscle mass. “Skinny fat”, if you like.

It makes sense for a short-term study, since fat is more calorie-dense than carbs. However, I think in the long term the GI rollercoaster that a high carb low fat protein adequate diet would put someone through would add weight, on top of health issues due to low EFAs. The GI spikes increase visceral fat production, which exacerbates insulin intolerance and contributes to more rapid conversion of bloog sugar into lipids.

The protein studies show that simple amino acids and BCAAs either as supplements or from plant protein or animal organs (imagine, the one animal part most people like is the least nutritious…) as part of a higher-protein diet can help preserve and add muscle during weight loss that includes adequate strength training. The effects lessen in those doing only cardio, and practically disappear in those not exercising.

1 Like

I think it’s even more true on long term.

This guy here discusses this topic (among many others related to weight loss):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOojt1CbvF8

If you’re seriously concerned about glucose spikes please take a look at this: plantpositive.com, especially the videos “How to become insulin resistant”. You can also find the same material in more brief form at nutritionfacts.org. The key for this problem is “insulin resistance” (or “insulin sensitivity”).

EDIT:

Is it possible to have high blood glucose on a very low carb diet?

Here is the answer: → Why High Fasting Blood Glucose on Low Carb or Keto? – Diet Doctor

How do you explain these results (also look at the comments)?

They’re secretly snacking on carbs? :frowning:

Let me quote one fragment of a comment:

What we see here is extreme insulin resistance, don’t you agree?

The key to converting blood sugar to visceral fat and white subcutaneous fat isn’t high blood sugar in and of itself, it’s the rapidity of the insulin/glucagon cycle. Having blood sugar look high and not budge from insulin should be expected in a ketosis state because ketones throw off home blood sugar test kits and insulin does nothing since ketones don’t break down into glycogen, and the body makes more of it since ketones aren’t as effective at sustaining the Krebs cycle as glucose.When on a keto diet, one measures ketone levels with a pee kit, not a blood kit. It’s why ketosis is a risky but not uneffective way to manage diabetes and why ketoacidosis is so dangerous for diabetics. My night lead at the high school used to work at just got off of medical leave for 6 months less one foot because of this.

What we see here is poor understanding of the limitations of conventional testing and of the shortcoming of the current medical “common sense” of see blood sugar(or what instruments see as blood sugar)-throw insulin at it - i.e., ‘It’s X, take Y, problem solved’. The diet doctor is running off the medical conventions of the 90s. None of those even talk about the long-term cardiovascular and metabolic health risks of insufficient EFAs.

edit: I’d also like to touch on low carb diets - there’s a wildly common mistaken assumption that low carb means lots of protein, but people on keto diets should actually be eating slightly less protein, maybe by 3-5%, and push their carbs to less than 200 a day, with no simple carbs. Anyone that thinks it’s an excuse to eat lots of meat or has the equivalent of table sugar be their carbs is going to see metabolic issues. I’ve seen too many people go into ketoacidosis from a lack of understanding of the body’s way of switching between glycogen and ketones.

1 Like

I think that there are so many questionable and unclear points in your post, I don’t know where to begin a reply. So I think I will not really reply. Readers can decide for themselves. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Essential fatty acid deficiency is not a real issue. The real issue are all the non-essential and/or unnecessary fats, including the high dosages of omega-6 fats. Additional real issues are all the very common vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The doctors (or “online experts” like me and you) who are still recommending omega-3 to deal with cardiovascular disease are living in the 70s, not in the 90s. Same thing for those doctors (or “online experts”) recommending high fat or high protein. It’s all discredited long ago.

2nd EDIT: I also think ketosis is a synonymous for mild starvation. We can survive in a state of mild starvation for a few years (maybe even a decade?) but eventually we have to eat. That’s the simple truth.

3rd EDIT: Ketogenic diet described in one picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214998118643279&set=p.10214998118643279&type=3&theater&ifg=1

I think one of the most important things is to make sure you are tracking your calories correctly, as people have said MyFitnessPal is an amazing tool to use

Its also important to know what your actual calorie burn is, TDEE calculators are amazing but a fitbit or similar tool will make sure you know exactly how many calories you’re burning in a day.

The Macro split is probably only important if you are doing specific types of training, it’d be hard to do any sort of Cardio on a low carb diet as you’d have no fuel to do it with.

I’d assume HUEL is a strategic mix of macros optimised as much for day to day living, however, if you are doing any extra exercise, might be worth eating more carbs to fuel this, but still staying 500 calories Below your total calorie burn each day

Its easy to under/over estimate actual energy expenditure if you don’t have the right tools to track it (Fitbits, apple watchs etc)