What are the thickeners in huel powder for?

On the ingredients list for huel it has listed;
Thickeners: Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum

Just curious what purpose this had as most people seem to want huel as smooth as possible. (Blender user here)

Probably to give it ā€œmouth feelā€?

1 Like

My guess is ā€¦

To thicken it ??

3 Likes

They not only thicken but help stabilise and emulsify the solution so that ingredients stay in suspension and donā€™t separate out.

1 Like

In the early revisionā€¦especially noticeable in unflavouredā€¦it didnā€™t mix well. And then when you refrigerated it overnight it separatedā€¦thickeners stop that.

3 Likes

Yep, mouthfeel and stabilisation. Iā€™ve had a kitchen sample version of Huel that didnā€™t have Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum in and it was like drinking grainy water and everything sunk to the bottom after about 3 seconds.

1 Like

Tottaly unrelated, but @Tim_Huel, I have just realised who you look (a bit) likeā€¦

Screenshot_2019-01-08-10-37-46

3 Likes

Gonna show this to all my friends who say I look like Lord Farquaad.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::laughing:

1 Like

Who is it?

Sorry, silly me, thatā€™s David Boreanaz, erstwhile star of Buffy, spin off series Angel, and later Bones. He was also featured as Didoā€™s love interest in the video for one of her songs. Not that I think heā€™s hot or anything :blush:

4 Likes

I had to look up to find out who Lord Farquaard is.

1 Like

Is he on your ceiling?

7 Likes

No, I just tend to keep my eyes fixed on the floor so I donā€™t turn everyone to stone.

4 Likes

I see it too! New profile pic Tim :joy:

I always thought the phrase was four eyes, not floor eyes. Must get my hearing tested.

Thanks for liking, @RyanT, itā€™s clearly too highbrow a joke for our bumpkin friend :wink:

3 Likes

This is true. Even more funny is that when I tried to say Lord Farquaad with my yokel accent it came out as lord fuckhead.

3 Likes

Feel like this went disappointingly underappreciated :joy::joy:

6 Likes

Language, Timothy!