What makes Huel better than JJ?

Recently I got the recommendation to have a look at JimmyJoy from a friend who changed from Huel to JJ. They made some modifications in their formula (no more maltodextrine for example) and added new products, for example a product equivalent to Huel’s H&S and a lower-carb powder called “Active”.

At the first glance it seemed that they offer exactly the same product palette like you at Huel. Nevertheless I felt hesitant to try JJ, because I still have the feeling that Huel is the better choice. But yes, the price really makes one think about what justififies the big difference.

Are your ingredients from a higher-quality or more sustainable source?
Do you pay more to the people producing the raw ingredients?
Is it because of the addition of “specials” like epigallocatechin-galleate or zeaxanthine?

It would really make me feel better if I knew the reason, because I don’t want to change. Now this is just not more than a gut feeling, though…and I am sure there must be good reasons.

Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

I personally feel Huel is more professional as a company.

They continuously do a lot of research and improvements before other competitors (I.e. JJ H&S was released right after Huel presented their version, JJ included Maltodextrin for a long time, while the fist version of Huel Powder 1.0 already avoided it).

I also see Huel is more transparent in terms of nutrition (I.e. I think JJ hides the GI of their products, and some nutritional information like the unsaturated and polyunsaturated fat amount from their H&S, Bars and RTD).

Besides that, I like that you can easily get answers in this forum from the Huel team and that they seriously consider people feedback and new food research science to improve their products.

I personally prefer to pay a bit more for a company who works hard making sure that their products are of high quality, than paying for a company that seems to be using others research to create cheap products.

Maybe on top of that there are other aspects that make Huel different, but that was my personal opinion.

6 Likes

You’re right, the service is better and Huel seems to have a more scientific approach.

Nevertheless the difference in quality does not seem to be as big as it was some time ago. In a way it almost seems as if JJ wanted to be a cheaper Huel - the product palette is very similar (not to say almost identical).

One thing that I would really be interested in is whether there are other reasons - of course a lot goes into service and marketing, but maybe Huel also pays better prices to the people/farmers producing the raw ingredients. Better working conditions would be a very convincing argument for paying more.

At least more convincing than just getting more information - or what consequence does it have if I know the GI of a product? With respect to what does that help?

Other things like the additional antioxidants are a strong argument for Huel, though. Although I don’t know how expensive things like EGCG or zeaxanthine are if they are produced in bulk - but if bought as capsules the price is relatively high.

it also depends on the location you are as a customer and the location of the business and their manufacturing. if you look at sterling to euro rates they are pretty volatile and the differences are as much as 20% at some points over the past 24 months.

I looked at Jimmy Joy early on before I went with Huel too - but even though Huel was a slightly more expensive product price, after shipping, taxes etc JJ was way more expensive to have delivered to my country.

As you also pointed out there are often very wide gaps in the prices of raw materials depending on their source and quality.

Yes, that is a huge problem. One never knows how good the quality of the ingredients is, and where they come from.

We have a nutritional comparison here if you’re interested.

It’s fun to see the other side of the comparison here.

Just by reading both pages, you can see what company invests more in research and nutrition (i.e. no references shared in the JJ article).

1 Like

The left side of the comparison is supposedly the Huel RTD, the right is JimmyJoy RTD. Someone tell me where I can get those 6.60 PLN (about 1.50 EUR) RTDs, I’d be interested…

hmm - @Dan_Huel that looks like an error on the polish language site where the powder price is duplicated - on the English language one, they are correct.

Thanks for the link, but it compares Huel v3.0 with JimmyJoy v2.1, but meanwhile the most recent formula is also a v3.0 - with relevant changes in their formula. Their new products seem to be a lot better now.

Meanwhile the types of products are almost an exact mirror of what Huel offers. The only difference seems to be a different packaging and some small changes in the ingredients; and the much lower price of JJ. With regard to everything else they at least seem to follow the same strategy.

Regarding Huel regular powder, no soy (allergen). Different vegan protein sources. The price per 400kcal meal in bulk purchase almost same as JJ, at least for my country. Better macro and micro ingredients profile. Only 0.9 grams of sugar per 100 grams.
Supportive and updated forum. That’s why Huel only for me ( mainly use U&U - flavour/taste is not determinant).

What country do you live in? Here the price difference is large. And not everybody wants to buy in bulk anyway.

Why do you think the macro split of Huel is better? Due to the lower carb content?

Living in Portugal. Buying Huel because I avoid soy based powders. Also soy or whey is the base for most powdered foods. Soy is one of the main existent allergens besides the majority of soy cultures are not Gmo free. I know soy has its defenders but I pass.

To get the same amino acid profile of it, pea and rice combined are enough. Regarding Huel ingredients, half of vitamins/minerals came from food, and the remaining added. I can see that detailed trough Huel site and also package label. Also the several micronutrients, lacking in JJ, are very detailed.

In JJ information is not detailed although I think their Active 3.0 version is a good improvement over the older versions or their regular shake and the one I’m taking into account here.

In the past also tried Queal but returned to Huel.

Carbs values similar but less sugar and a GI value tested and presented as low. In JJ don’t know.

I need to buy more Huel than JJ to get the low price per 400Kcal of circa 1.30€ in both. But seeing the differences that matter to me, price difference is insignificant.

Thanks for the information. What exactly is bad about non-GMO free cultures? That the long-term effects are unclear? So far I have not found any hard evidence on any adverse side effects. And that something is an allergen is only relevant if you really have an allergy.
But yes, Huel contains additional micronutrients like zeaxanthine or epigallocatechin galleate, which seems to be a clear advantage.

Nevertheless it is hard to tell what should be considered to be the best meal replacement on the market. Every brand has its own benefits and downsides.

If you’re on a full liquid diet taste and texture are more important than when you are only using meal replacements as part of your diet - and here Huel is not the winner. Most people want to have something they enjoy…and if it is only shakes I think that the shakes should at least be delicious - at least some of them.
Are you really only considering the hard nutritional facts only? I mean don’t you want to enjoy something, at least sometimes?

Nothing against GMO foods for scarcity or when there´s no other option to avoid hunger or famine risk in larger populated areas. GMO will be of importance in a growing overpopulated world.

But for daily consumption I prefer food without any GMO handling.

Wild caught salmon is not farmed salmon. I always prefer the first when possible.In a simplistic way they are the same.

Agree that every brand has its own merits. Depends on what you consider important.

For me Huel is like convenience food. Sometimes is my main meal ( 800/1000Kcal ) sometimes just a small shake at lunch and a regular meal at evening.

To enjoy Huel as a liquid diet, taste is for me of small importance. I´m used to U&U. But if I want to change it a bit I would add pure cocoa, oat drink or powdered coffee. That´s why I prefer it as a raw, flexible option.

At least one forum member is the proof of living and thriving solely on it for several years. And that´s a good example regarding Huel strict nutritional value.

1 Like

Nevertheless the difference in quality does not seem to be as big as it was some time ago. In a way it almost seems as if JJ wanted to be a cheaper Huel - the product palette is very similar (not to say almost identical).

Jimmy Joy is an older company than Huel and their product palette was like that before Huel. JJ launched RTD before Huel etc. You cannot just say that it is copied from Huel, there are dozens of complete food companies in Europe which offer similar products.

Thanks for spotting that! @Phil_C is right that’s an error from us and we will get it fixed ASAP.

It compares to JJ v3.0 not v2.1 as shown in the table and reference list at the bottom of the article.

That’s like comparing apples and oranges. It would be fairer to compare Huel with JJ Active as that’s the same type of product as Huel (high protein, big bag). JJ Plenny shake is a very different product, drinking it feels like drinking water in a bad way.

1 Like

Couldn’t help but notice how JJ conveniently leaves out their sugar content in the shake comparison :smiley:
Huel is actually objective in their comparison, while JJ tries to put a spin on it. All the more reason to trust Huel.

1 Like

Doesn’t the texture also depend on the amount of water you use? If you find JJ to watery it may help to use less water. Or do you think this is due to the lower amount of fibre?

Has anyone of you tried to mix Huel and JJ 50:50? I consider using the products of different companies to get a larger “variety”, as every product has its own benefits. At least in theory. Do you think that makes sense?
Even after years on a liquid diet I still haven’t found the right “strategy”, as I have various problems like underweight, brittle hair, dry skin and other health problems - something seems to be missing, although the last lab test showed no vitamin ior mineral deficiencies.