Why no Vegan Certification?

He could join Sir Rolf, Sir Jimmy, Sir Stuart, Sir Cyril…

2 Likes

I think Huel is on the right lines; they are trying to release a vegan product and it is not one of a line of non-vegan items. They do mis-step now and again, and this may be one of them, but they were trying to conquer a new market and kelp seemed to be the best way.

Yeah knighthoods are wank too.

2 Likes

They are a Royal equivalent of vegan certs.

1 Like

It’d be interesting to find out more about Huel’s suppliers and their practices. All of the ingredients are potentially harvested in unsustainable ways. You’re right that kelp stands out as probably unsustainable. I wonder how much they use. Very little makes it into the end product, but they might discard a lot of raw material during processing.

I’ve been reading through some previous threads on kelp and came across this one

2 Likes

Good searching, Ian!

I wonder if this is wank.

2 Likes

@David I don’t know, better ask @Dan_Huel or @Tim_Huel if it’s wank. Any updates Dan or Tim please? I think many of us would like to know more about the sustainability of the kelp harvesting.

Surely kelp is farmed for mass production in the same way as fruit tband veg? Presumably farming it makes it a sustainable process?

I don’t think kelp is usually farmed. Isn’t it generally harvested in the wild?

There’s loads of stuff about it if you Google it, certainly an eye opener

https://www.greenoceanfarming.co.uk/

Kelp farms exist and it is also harvested in the wild. In some ways a bit like salmon which is available as wild or farmed.
Apart from sustainability farming can produce a more phenotypically consistent product.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing some more digging and came across this

This bit is same as @Dan_Huel had in his post

• Single living species of documented age and freshness
  • Documented physical and nutritional quality
  • Traceable from end use to documented sustainable source
  • Fulfill regulatory compliance for global markets
  • Standard Operating Procedures, independent analysis and accreditation
  • Environmental sustainability

Also

2 Likes

Are you miss marple?

1 Like

3 Likes

about as legit as Holland & Barrett

1 Like

It’s not wank.

It’s one of the main reasons we went with the supplier we chose.

They were part of creating this certification which is now used across the industry so it’s at the heart of what they do.

2 Likes

@Dan_Huel I would take Davids triggering with a pinch of salt :slight_smile: I guess what he was meaning was as to what extent the certification guarantees certain things - for example compliance with GMP audits in Food Manufacturing or if its just a compliance with a mission statement.

2 Likes

Got you.

The BRC certification covers GMP, audits etc for food manufacturing.

The Nutritious Food Seaweed certification is renewed every 3 years and requires audits too.

To get the certification you have to jump through a lot of hoops including:

• Regulatory compliance to several EU regulations

• A proper quality management system in place

• Meeting the plant selection and harvesting criteria

• Documentation for all of this and traceability

• Traceability is also checked with random audits across the supply chain

That’s just some of what has been put in place. The general parameters you see on websites is usually enough information for the general public.

2 Likes

But not for the Heuligan wank-ers :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes