Why the price of Huel powder is changing with the launch of v3.0

Because this:

It’s not unreasonable to increase the price after four and a half years of no increases and this appears to be the primary driver of the price increase, not the version change.

Good luck on finding an alternative that is as quick or quicker to make where the base ingredients cost less than Huel.

2 Likes

I have to agree with @SpectralBacon in part.
It’s been mentioned by Huel staff quite a few times about the cost of the natural flavourings and sweeteners.
Unflavoured unsweetened Huel is cheaper to produce and does not need the expensive R&D and taste testing that the flavoured versions require.
I also would like to see UU sold at a lower price. I can see why Huel just have one simple price structure, but it’s ok to voice an opinion about it. I’ve thought it loads of times.
I initially thought Huel was sold by weight and therefore you would get more UU per bag because of there being no flavourings or sweeteners but that’s not the case - you actually get a lighter bag as it’s sold by calorie.
Therefore I also vote for cheaper UU !
Can’t see it happening but I’ll put my opinion out there anyway !

1 Like

I understand the logic behind the argument but I’m not sure how impactful it is in commercial manufacturing.

A lot of the cost of the product comes from:

• Staff
  • Premises
  • Machinery
  • Power supply
  • Packaging
  • Compliance and health & safety
  • Marketing/Advertising/Promotional costs
  • Shipping
  • Customer service

These are the same for any variant of the same product type - so all powder products for example. So whilst yes, ingredients are one of the costs I’m not sure that the margin of difference on the inclusion or not of natural flavourings is a significant enough percentage of the cost to produce to justify a lower selling price. It would be interesting to get the figures but I’d imagine we are talking fractions of pence per bag in a bulk manufacturing context.

Similarly, R&D costs are recouped reasonably rapidly once the base product is created and selling in decent volumes. R&D on formulation changes is presumably cheaper as the information from the base product is already available.

I doubt Huel is likely to publish a breakdown of their cost to manufacture by cost category and their margin per bag. They’d be crazy to do so as it’s such commercially sensitive information. But I’d be surprised if the difference in ingredients is in any way significant enough to enable a cheaper price per bag for U/U.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree @Liath - pricing is much more complex than just the cost of the ingredients.
I mentioned that in one of my previous posts in a discussion of the same topic.
I’d still like for it to be cheaper :laughing::laughing: cos it’s the one I buy the most lol.
But I do understand that it makes much more sense to have an equal price across the range.
In reality, the pennies don’t make much difference to me. Not because I’m rich, but really, an extra pound difference divided by 14 meals or whatever… it’s literally pennies.
I could save more money by turning my heating off ten minutes earlier every night or something

3 Likes

The price hike is due to inflation. I think Huel’s attempt to attribute it to anything else was a bit silly, but a lot of people don’t understand inflation.

What they probably should do is the increase the price often, but in small increments. Customers like predictable costs though, especially subscribers. Maybe they should do what companies like Netflix do - keep subscribers on the old price, and only charge them the new price if they cancel and resubscribe.

3 Likes

The price jump was quite a big increase in one go - for some people it’s going to make their budget really tight, so I can understand the annoyance.
Personally I don’t think it was a great idea to time it to coincide with the version change, but is there ever a good time to hike the price? Not really.
I still think it’s good value for money at the moment. I’m happy with it anyway.
It’s not realistic to expect a company to never increase their prices

5 Likes

I agree. It sets the expectation that the new product is significantly improved, which (sorry Huel) I don’t think is it.

Of course, that expectation is useful, from a marketing point of view. So I understand why they did it.

1 Like

No need to apologize for a price change. You are a business after all.

2 Likes

Hello
I wonder if this is also true for the SE store? I’m trying to calculate the difference for myself but I don’t remember what they were. Thank you

Just sharing this post from Julian in a few threads to notify those that voices concerns regarding kelp. Apologies for bumping up old topics.