Why the price of Huel powder is changing with the launch of v3.0

@Kittykate81 have you tried adding the new toffee flavour boost to Original? To me, that tastes the same as New Vanilla

Hi, I see the addition of Kombucha Tea Powder and need to understand whether there will be any caffeine in Mint Choc or Vanilla? Caffeine will prevent me from being able to continue eating huel.

2 Likes

We’ve updated the flavour on v3.0 to natural flavours, but doing the same to Original would (without intention) change the taste of Original. We know the thing people like about Original is the flavour. Original Flavour is difficult to match with our new natural flavours, whereas Vanilla wasn’t

3 Likes

I see a flood of topics on Huel poop and farts coming our way…

1 Like

Prebiotics have always been present in the Huel Powders. Prebiotics are fermentable fibres, that are beneficial for the good bacteria in the gut, mainly from the oats and flaxseed. We have compiled the evidence and data now so we’re comfortable calling prebiotics out now.

The probiotics are spore formers. The spores protect the bacteria and are “activated” once they reach the gut. As a result, the shelf-life is unchanged.

Kombucha is a fermented product that is made using a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY). Often it’s consumed as a drink but it’s been processed into a powder. Kombucha provides B-vitamins which are produced when the SCOBY breaks down the sugars present.

Although the kombucha drink is caffeinated the kombucha tea powder in Huel Powders contains minimal caffeine.

2 Likes

Thanks Julian, this helps allay my fears. As for the price increase I’m not too bothered and for the change in scoop size I’ll just keep using the old one!

1 Like

Thanks very much! How minimal are we talking for the caffeine content? I cannot drink even a cup of coffee or tea without problems, will I have problems with my huel? (Currently about 6 scoops of v2.3 a day max)

2 Likes

I am definitely worried. I have eaten Huel for 100% of my calories for many years now, and unfortunately there is no competitor on the market that would have a product equivalent to Huel U/U v2.3, so I don’t know what I’ll do in the future.

I do not care about this trend of everything being “natural”. Consuming Huel will never be natural in the eyes of the common people no matter what you do. I want things to be modern, scientific, synthetic, genetically modified, superior to nature. What Huel is doing with Huel v3.0 is a slippery slope, Huel v4.0 might be organic if this continues.

Why natural vitamin C? It is indistinguishable from synthetic one - no lab in the world is able to tell the difference. It only increases the price and gives into the misguided trend that “natural is best”.

Same thing with Kelp and Kombucha, both are inferior to synthetic sources of Iodine and B-vitamins. I am not a fan of fish/crustaceans for personal reasons, and not a fan of kombucha (which can contain alcohol, which I do not drink).

For those who care about Huel being vegan, Huel will definitely not remain vegan despite what is being said. “Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.” Addition of Kelp is needless since we have synthetic forms of Iodine (which are superior to Kelp), and will result in death of animals.

Regarding price, I used to pay 293GBP every two months, and now will be paying 299GBP, which I am not fussed about. I am however reminded of being told years ago that as Huel increases in size, the cost will be going down so that it becomes even more affordable to an even larger segment of the world’s population. I guess that’s not happening anymore.

If the increase in price is only as a result of including more misguided “natural” versions of what we already have, then that is very sad indeed.

A similar thing happened before, when Huel decided to include far too large amounts of salt, and started including Fluoride as well. Fortunately, these changes were then reverted in the next revision of the powder. I managed to live off my supplies of the older version of Huel during that period.

It is unlikely any of these changes will be reverted or modified for v3.0, but there is precedent that things might improve with v3.1. However, as Huel gets larger, revisions take longer, so we might be stuck with v3.0 for a year or longer unlike before.

My supply of Huel U/U v2.3 will last me 5 months, and I might look into getting more of v2.3. I don’t know what I’ll do after that.

We definitely need more information from Huel to be able to make a decision. Why is Huel using Corn Starch instead of Coconut flour now? Why has the micronutrient blend changed significantly?

24 Likes

Interesting to see Tapioca Starch as an ingredient in the powder (previously only on the RTD). This suggest some oats have been removed and also seems like one of the ingredients that has been added for “smoothness”.

@Dan_Huel has the GI of Huel changed?

4 Likes

As this appears to have addressed the inconsistency in volume discounts between countries I don’t mind this change. The changes sound good to me and especially happy you’re adding probiotics, that’s a good addition.

Thanks

1 Like

Some of the oats have been substituted for tapioca starch, however oats are still the largest inclusion. We are waiting to hear back on the GI results, if I had to make a prediction I think the change will be quite small.

Also, there can be differences just based on the people that take part in the GI test. For example there are small differences between Huel US v1.1 and Huel UK v2.3 yet the US has a GI of 19 and the UK has a GI of 27.

A low GI is anything below 55, we will let you know when the results are in.

Yeap but acerola cherries also bring phytonutrients.

They’re not inferior. Why do you think they are?

You’re right the fermented drink can however, we use a powder in Huel.

Which bits do you think have changed significantly?

1 Like

Is no-one going to ask why on earth probiotics and kombucha are being added?

3 Likes

16,4% increase for Sweden :disappointed:

3 Likes

@Tristan they already answered somewhere above that kombucha is a natural source of b vitamins. I was wondering if this was to solve the problem of Cyanocobalamin which quite a few people are allergic to. But no… Cyanocobalamin is still there in the ingredients as the B12.

Personally I’m unsure I want kombucha powder in my huel.

Probiotics however seem a good addition as they are needed to maintain a healthy balance of gut bacteria and may actually alleviate some of the flatulence and digestive issues some people experience on huel.

2 Likes

Ah, so virtue signalling to the all natural crowd then? I’m happy to be wrong on that and need to do a bit of research, but I don’t immediately see any benefit over previous b vitamin sources.

4 Likes

I agree with everything @rikefrejut said

one of the cool things about huel is it’s the future of food, scientific, nutritionally complete (its called human fuel for gods sake) it wasn’t following the latest superfood trends. It has what the human body needs and I thought the bigger huel got the lower they would make the price. Adding kombucha instead of just synthetic vitamins doesn’t make scientific or economic sense other then just advertising to hipsters and people following food fads

3 Likes

Harvesting of plant crops for commercial food production also involves the deaths of many creatures caught up as collateral damage. Unless you handpick your own veganically grown food you cannot avoid it in the same way as kelp.

7 Likes

I think I like most of the “upgrades”
I already buy probiotics so may be able to save myself some money if I find the balance in Huel sufficient.
I think acerola cherries are awesome so happy for them to be added.
Not bothered either way on the source of iodine but I regularly consume various seaweeds so happy for kelp to be added (although I am concerned at the moving away from a hypoallergenic formulation - the presence of mustard and crustaceans I think is a bad thing - so many people suffer from serious allergies and this is a deal breaker for them unfortunately).

Jury is out in regards to kombucha. I can’t see any benefit and am a bit concerned about the possible yeast content. I don’t know enough yet to form a judgement. And I haven’t tried it.

I’m expecting all flavours to taste significantly different… I’m hoping this will be a positive!

3 Likes

What? :thinking::face_with_monocle:
I don’t think you finished what you were saying… it just stopped…

Edit: oh you hit post by accident :laughing:

Combo of fat fingers and patchy Wi-Fi

1 Like