10days in and not noticed anything.šŸ˜©

Cross between squirt and woosh. Next time Iā€™ll buy glass bottles, not plastic :grin:

2 Likes

Mind blown

2 Likes

Good word eh? :laughing:

Haha. Not as good as boondoggle though.

2 Likes

Or scurryfunge. Iā€™ve been known to do that too.

1 Like

Think weā€™ve all done that.

1 Like

Not to be confused with furryscunge, of course.

Back on topicā€¦

Donā€™t stress! 10 days is just the beginning. Maintaining is better than gaining if your goal is to lose, just remember that part of your diet is packed full of vitamins and all the other good stuff and thatā€™s a good start!

1 Like

So today i have had 2 scoops in 300ml of unsweetend almond milk toped up 150ml of water.
See how that goes.:muscle:t3:.

1 Like

Hi Teedee

Weight loss isnā€™t all about calories. If you reduce your current calorie intake by 500 calories a day and maintain it for the rest of your life you will not waste away to nothing.

It helps to understand insulin response and what triggers an insulin release. If you have insulin in your blood, your body will be receiving a message to store sugar by generating fat cells no matter how many calories you just ate. Foods with a low glycemic index (like Huel) will not trigger an insulin release. Whether you are losing or gaining weight largely depends on the last thing you ate.

One step further and it helps to understand how you can reverse this process by triggering your body to convert fat cells back into sugar to be used up by your body. Look into intermittent fasting for this - itā€™s not as bad as it sounds and has many associated health benefits. Avoid ketogenic diets because they are not good for you long term.

One more thing to understand is that sugar is VERY addictive. You need to see high sugar foods like a smoker sees cigarettes. Try giving up high sugar foods for 10 days and see how you feel - it will be easy not eat them. Notice what happens after you have a couple of biscuits - you will back on sugar like a smoker on the fags.

Last thing is to realise that a high carb meal is also a high sugar meal, because your body converts carbs into sugar. Itā€™s why you can feel completely full after a big plate of pasta, but reach for the biscuits a couple of hours later.

So, to lose weight successfully:

• eat less calories than you use
  • manage your insulin response
  • try to eat in a small window (6 to 8hrs) on as many days a week as you can
2 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone was suggesting this is the case. In very simplistic terms itā€™s about creating a calorie deficit - so eating fewer calories than your body is currently using. As you lose weight, your body requires fewer calories to function so a level that would have resulted in a deficit previously may now be what you need to maintain your weight.

The insulin factor is interesting but I think is opening a can of worms. There are lots of hormones that impact hunger, fullness and how your body processes food. Having an under active thyroid impacts some of these hormones too which can impact the ability to lose weight.

Although Iā€™m personally a fan of intermittent fasting Iā€™d suggest not trying to change too many things at once. New habits are built slowly if they are going to stick. So for now, rather than trying to cut out sugar, manage calorie intake and introduce intermittent fasting all in one go Iā€™d suggest itā€™s more achievable to focus on one thing and getting that working. Hence the suggestions to look at calorie intake vs. requirements for now.

3 Likes

No. Just no. That kind of statement is really unnecessary scare mongering. Sugar is not addictive.

An insulin response is not inherently bad. Like pretty much everything else, too much or too little ainā€™t a good thing.

Think of insulin as a navigator. It directs the glucose (blood sugar) where to go in the body. Mucle tissue, nervous system, brain, etc. If the body have a poor or too high sensitivity to the navigator (insulin) the glucose is without direction and head for the happy cosy place; fat stores. Butā€¦ this only happens in a calorie surplus. We wonā€™t start gaining body fat if we are consuming less calories than we are expending - regardsless of insulin levels. Have you ever seen a starving person getting fat?

Protein creates an insulin response aswell btw.

Eating a healthy amount of carbs, protein, fiber and fat together sort of evens out the spike in blood sugar/insulin response, at least in a normal healthy individual. Soā€¦ sugar is not bad. Carbs are not bad. Protein is not bad.

Food is like people - The right amount of the ones you like creates a happy life :grin:

3 Likes

Have you ever tried giving up high sugar foods (which incidentally are bad for your health)?

Making consistent small steps towards improving health is the right way to go, but Iā€™m not sure that calorie counting is always the best start. If calorie counting alone was a proven way to lose weight permanently there wouldnā€™t be a multi-million pound weight loss industry and a thousand different diets out there. I donā€™t mean to be negative in my first few posts but there are lots of studies showing that calorie counting doesnā€™t work as a long term strategy to control weight.

Anyway all this probably isnā€™t helping Teedee very much?

Hey Sean, your post is really interesting but I think itā€™s important to clear a few things up.

Itā€™s mainly about calories, however as you lose weight your TDEE will decrease and so you will need to adjust your calorie intake to continue to lose weight, which a lot of people donā€™t account for.

Low glyceamic foods will still trigger an insulin response it will just be less pronounced and more gradual. 37% of the calories in Huel come from carbohydrates, this is not a bad thing at all! We have some more information on the glyceamic index and load here.

Intermittent fasting works in the same way as continuous calorie restriction i.e. calorie over time. Thereā€™s a great study that summarises this: Intermittent versus continuous energy restriction on weight loss and cardiometabolic outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials - PubMed

Sugar can have addictive qualities but itā€™s important to put this into perspective. Some people do really well and enjoy sweet foods in moderation, others such as yourself may not.

This isnā€™t quite true. Yes carboydrates are converted to sugar but consuming sugar has a very different effect on the body and insulin response compared to carbohydrates, especially those with a low GI. Good carbohydrate sources such as oats and flaxseed also provide fibre and a variety of micronutrients which further complicates things.

It sounds like you have found something that works for you Sean! Just be careful explaining this to others as everyone is different.

You might be interested in the diagram below showing just how complicated obesity and gaining weight is!

9 Likes

Yes, but Iā€™m not a big fan of creating a general statement based on personal anecdotes. Sugar in reasonable quantities have not shown any detrimental effects to health. Pretty much anything can be bad for your health if you get too high a dose. Oxygen and water are brilliant examples of this.

You are right calorie counting is not nedeed to loose weight, thereā€™s lots of ways to achieve a weight loss. One thing they all have in common though, is that you need to be in a calorie decifit to loose weight. Calorie counting is just a tool to achieve that. And Huel makes it a wee bit easier.

I donā€™t think you come off as negative at all :slightly_smiling_face: We just disagree on some things and I get a bit iffy, when I see a diet health bomb dropped as the ultimate truth. It can easily create misconceptions and fear of certain types of food. Making weight loss even harder.

My apologies to @Teedee for going a bit off track, but it sounds like you are getting on the right track. Keep it up :muscle:

4 Likes

Try 6 weeks. 10 days is way too little.

2 Likes

This diagram is awesome!

1 Like

Iā€™ve found a high def one online, itā€™s a thing of beauty. Iā€™m just drawing one up to cover off factors when selecting Huel over a crisp sandwich.

3 Likes

Bloody hell, canā€™t believe thereā€™s actually a word for that!

1 Like

@Dan_Huel - Thanks for your friendly post but I think you might be being slightly picky? There may have been some minor inaccuracies in my post to keep things concise and prevent me from having to write a dissertation, but the message and sentiment are clear and I still think the advice is good. I have never been an authority on anything and so usually assume that most reasonably intelligent people will understand that I am giving an opinion rather than stating an indisputable scientific fact.

@Peanuts - I have no problem with differing points of view, but accusing someone of scaremongering in their very first post isnā€™t friendly. Neither is using phrases like ā€˜diet health bomb dropped as the ultimate truthā€™, which is more than a slight exaggeration? If you read the whole paragraph about sugar it is clear that I am referring to high sugar foods, which you obviously know arenā€™t good for your health or you wouldnā€™t have tried giving them up! :wink: :slightly_smiling_face: Quoting one sentence out of context is a journalist trick.

Life is too short for arguing over minutiae on internet forums, which I why I donā€™t usually bother with them. I only came here to ask for organic Huel in recyclable packaging and then I saw TeeDeeā€™s post and thought I might be able help someone out on the way.

Ah wellā€¦Adios amigos

Can a mod clear up this bizarre series of derailment posts? Perhaps after @Dan_Huel 's last comment?

None of the comments after that really add value and any value that came before that has been negated by the user above doing the classic ā€œDamn people disagree with me and have provided evidence Iā€™m wrong, I quitā€.