Black edition chocolate is disgusting! Help!

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys, sorry for not replying sooner. We’ve been keeping a really close eye on your feedback on Chocolate BE. It’s something we’re working on for sure. I agree with you @Phil_C that people’s perception of common flavours (like Chocolate and Vanilla) come with very varied expectations. We see it here all the time, some wanting a darker cacao flavour, others wanting a chocolate milkshake flavour.

It’s on our radar, thanks for raising it.

Ooo, might go for Chocolate Huel plus Gingerbread FB for lunch, thanks for the idea!

The black chocolate i find is thicker so I add more water. I add cacao powder for more chocolate taste, or I cut with 50% vanilla or UU, And I got a blender last week after a year of hueling without and it makes a big difference.

1 Like

Oh sh… I just ordered berry 3.0 without knowing…
It arrives tomorrow… here we go again

1 Like

if you’re in the ‘I can’t deal with this’ camp - try adding a banana flavour boost to it - sounds weird but actually produces quite a natural fruity taste.

Thx :slight_smile:
Just by coincidence I bought 1 Berry 1 Banana, so perfect XD
Tomorrow I’ll taste berry and tell you.

Thanks Tim. Personally, I am not fussed on what type of chocolate it tastes like, and I have a pretty high threshold for unusual flavours. But this just tastes nothing like any chocolate I’ve ever had in my life (dark, milk or plain). And as well as that, I think it’s just a really horrible taste. Thanks for monitoring feedback, it’s appreciated.

1 Like

The white edition chocolate is gross as well. I found this thread because I had to search to check if my bag was bad, from this post I can conclude that my bag is fine; the flavour is just bad. I’m surprised it’s not better because the RTD bottle is spot on.

Either discard the bag or hold your nose and drink it as fast as possible, that’s my solution as I can’t afford to waste £25 of powder. Chalk it up to experience and don’t buy that flavour again.

1 Like

try adding some more cacao powder, vanilla extract or even some prune juice to replace part of the water - any of these would give it a smoother, richer taste.

So sorry that you aren’t loving Chocolate Huel. I’ve replied above to a similar comment about Black Edition. There’s definitely no need to throw anything away, you can pimp the flavour in tons of ways, even chilling will change the taste a little. Try some of our Flavour Boosts, add some coffee, more cacao as Phil says. It goes without saying that Huel is so much more than taste and the nutrition you’re going to get is second to none!

The problem with it for me is the sweetener, it gives it an almost plastic taste. I’ve added cocoa but the sweetener is still lingering.

This was my purchase and I’m really disappointed. Not sure whether to risk trying other flavours or the unsweetened version.

One suggestion would be to go for the unsweetened version and try a 50:50 mix between that and the flavour you find too sweet. It should tone down the sweetener elements you are struggling with as well as bulk it out to give you a longer and more satisfying use than just holding your nose.

If you have Huel for breakfast then a great trick is to add a spoon or two of instant coffee before you blend it. That will heavily override the other flavours.

If you shake rather than blend, make a cup off black instant coffee and chill it, then add it in with the water before you add the powder. That way you’re not having to shake it in through powder form.

Very much trial and error to figure out what works for you, but I promise it’s worth it! Go for it! :muscle:t2:

1 Like

This worked for me, although i would use coffee from my cafetiere

1 Like

It’s really interesting how everyone has different tastes, I love the choc black edition, it’s the only one I buy now (other than H&S).

2 Likes

You’ll be rewarded in heaven for that comment :joy::joy: exactly the same as me, although I do like the bars too.

A 20 hour chilled Chocolate Black Edition Huel is nice and thick and you can kinda scoop it up with the coffee caramel bar for one of the best ever 600 calorie meals! :heart_eyes:

I guess what we’ve learnt here is that people have very different tastes! @RichTeaBiscuit and @GemInPlainSight are you both having v1.1 Chocolate Black Edition?

1 Like

Hi Tim, I’ve just checked and its v1.0 (that my wife ordered at the beginning of Jan).

Same here, v1.0 from Jan

On the 16th there is a changeover happening for Black Edition and we’re shifting to a v1.1. I think I’ve mentioned before, but subscribers have been notified. Tweaks to the flavour and increased sweetness for Black Edition Chocolate, similar changes have already happened for Vanilla BE. I guess that means @GemInPlainSight you might be in luck and really like what we think is a great improvement. @RichTeaBiscuit you may not, but you’ve still got time to grab more of the v1.0 Black Edition you like!

1 Like

There is a old bakers trick for makeng cocoa powder /solids taste sweeter. Instead of adding sugger add a pinch of salt. I found it dosn’t taste as coco powdery in the end but more of a rich dark Chocolate.

Just use it as a base ingredient. Some of my favourite additions to mix Huel in the blender with:

Banana

Cashews

Peanut butter

Honey

Bee pollen

Cacao Nibs

Huel flavourings A favourites - Salted Caramel & Apple & Cinnamon

Ashwaganda powder (for the mood effects not the taste - cannot taste a teaspoon of it mixed in)