Black Edition, New scoop size, Reduction in amount of powder per bag?

Hi @geak and all

I have read a number of posts in this thread, but not all, and I feel I should to a couple of points:

1. Folks, please debate politely and respectfully; if another member has a different perspective than you, please respect that and don’t berate them. We’re all cool Hueligans here! :smile:

2. In response to:

v2.3 Vanilla - 1.75kg per bag - 2 bags = £45

v3.0 Vanilla - 1.71kg per bag - 2 bags = £50

Please explain how that is not a reduction in powder and increase in price.

Let me break this down…

Firstly, the price rise issue:
The price rise has been explained here and debated previously here. Tim posted above that we hadn’t been clear on the filling amounts and apologised. This wasn’t a ‘lie’; that’s not the Huel way: never has been; never will be.

Next, the serving size:
Legally, we’re not supposed to fill to half servings, so we had to label to a rounded 17 servings. 400kcal (which is approx 100g of Huel Powder and approx 90g of Huel Black) makes sense and puts it in line with the US (as we are aligning or products globally, which was previously causing confusion). 500kcal is big and is off-putting to many people who mentally associate Huel as ‘health product’ and calories as being ‘unhealthy’ (so-to-speak). This is our reason for moving to 400kcal; it’s nothing sinister: it just makes sense. This is the right decision and one we’ve been wanting to do for ages.

Onto Back Ed:
This is a new product, so nothing has changed. Both flavours are filled to 1.53kg, ie 17 x 90g servings of 400kcal each. No one should feel diddled here in any way. The only issue one may take is that Tim noted her previously mentioned there was 7,000kcal in a pouch. This was due to poor communication to him from other colleagues, most notably myself.

And now, Powder v3.0 as is being shipped:
This @geak, you seem to have a particular issue with, when actually it’s a separate point to the filling decisions being discussed based on calories. Here’s why (Warning: Boring Huel Recipe Information!)

With every version change, there’s been different bag-filled weights and that’s why the flavour have different weights too. There was 7,000kcal in v2.3 and there’s currently 7,000kcal in v3.0. This is because ingredients weigh differently. Due to the improvements we made with v3.0, including better ingredient sourcing, we’ve managed to need to add fewer vitamins and minerals, and coupled with the sunflower oil and MCT powders being more concentrated, we have less carrier in the final product. (Also, for those of you who are really interested in the boring stuff that excites nerds like me, we now actually have two components to our vitamin-mineral blends and the larger one needs even less carrier as the potassium chloride and calcium carbonate themselves act as a carrier as well as providing minerals). Less carrier = fewer ingredients and this explains the lighter pouch weights.

Why didn’t we mention this previously in our version update info? Because it’s really not very interesting, let’s be honest!

And lastly, Powder v3.0 that’s coming in a few weeks:
At the moment, the pouch and website say 17 servings when actually this is a ‘lie’ as you’re getting 17.5 servings, ie 200kcal extra. As we shouldn’t be giving this additional, we’ll be reverting to 17 servings straight in a few weeks (we can let you know when this is happening).

I hope I’ve covered everything as well as not misunderstanding anyone. If anything needs clarification, please let me know. The way I see it, with what everyone is currently receiving with v3.0, there should be no issue, despite the fact that it may seem so due to the 17-servings-labelling. We do acknowledge, that we haven’t been clear - apologies.

8 Likes