Bringing Huel to Work

To be honest it’s the part of these shakers that I hate. I don’t know why they need such a large cap/lid. Just screw on, surely?

1 Like

It was the most annoying thing for me as well, but I just hold the lid down against the body with my fingers while drinking and no problem. Most of the time I consume my Huel at the same place, and I decant it from the shaker into a pint glass and that’s fine by me…

2 Likes

All the more room to put my squirty cream on top of my coffee Huel :wink:

3 Likes

I guess I just have a big head :rofl:

@Bee I would totally wear an awesome eyepatch then!

@hunzas Do tell the names of those movies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::innocent:

5 Likes

The current Huel RTD bottles are made from food-grade polyethylene terephthalate (PET) identified by the Resin Identification Code (recycling number) no.1 and food grade symbol, which is itself, biologically inert.

foodgrade

(Biologically inert, or Bioinert materials, do not initiate a response or interact with biological tissue i.e. introducing the material to the body will not cause a reaction with the host either by ingestion, contact or inhalation)

BPA (bisphenol A) is a chemical used to make polycarbonate. There is NO bisphenol A used in food-grade PET bottle production as it serves no purpose.

For your information – if you are ever concerned that a plastic container you buy may have BPA but is not labelled as such – it will have a Resin Identification Code on the plastic, usually on the base. If you see any of the below symbols, there is a good chance that it contains BPA.

If you see any other instance of the number 7 on the plastic moulding not inside the recycle triangle – it does NOT mean the plastic type & is instead related to other manufacturing information.

You may also not be aware that BPA is used as a liner in food and drink cans – manufacturers are switching to alternatives, heavy weights such as Coca Cola are not. They use BPA as can liners and maintain it’s safe to do so, selling an average of 1.2 billion cans per day globally.

6 Likes

Yup, the RTD bottle BPA free.

However some interesting research, apparently BPA has been consistently found to be safe.

4 Likes

Gee steady on you will be getting @hunzas excited :joy:

3 Likes

As a general rule of thumb – reusing PET drink bottles is OK providing some basic checks are made:

• Examine the bottle to ensure that it is not damaged. If there are any signs of physical damage do not reuse it.
  • Clean bottle thoroughly and make sure the inside of the bottle air dries completely before use.
  • Before filling bottles, wash and dry your hands thoroughly.
  • Only reuse bottles on a like-for-like basis.
  • Always cool water or drinks before putting them in plastic bottles. PET deforms and degrades as low as 75°C/167°F
  • If it is labelled “avoid exposure to sunlight” in the original product, follow the instruction when reusing the bottle.
  • Bottles should be used by one individual only. Don’t share bottles.
6 Likes

Very useful, Phil. Thanks.

2 Likes

Too late, squirty cream has erupted from the nozzle.

1 Like

Are you saying an RTD bottle can only be used again if you put more RTD in it?

1 Like

Meh… I prefer it without BPA

Could be great to add it below the bottle

PS. Is there any plan in the future to use sqround bottles? When I look a Huel bottle I see all the lost space

1 Like

Sorry - I should have specified - the main reasons for using like for like and again, this is generalizing for food and drink PET bottles not just Huel ones, is that they are often specifically designed for a single use purpose and several factors can increase the speed at which the PET degrades.

PET is quite porous so if not cleaned well can retain traces of what was in it previously. It is also susceptible to pressure so if you have a thin walled bottle such as cheap water brand - putting a denser liquid in it - it could add additional structural pressure.

Basically - if you begin to get a noticeable plastic after taste in liquids from a reused bottle - that’s a sure sign the chemicals in the plastic are breaking down.

All that being said - the Huel RTD bottles are quite sturdy so should be OK for occasional reuse.

3 Likes

I emailed myprotein to say I wanted to return it because I can’t see how I would be able to clean it. They emailed back saying there is no grid in their steel shakers. So I sent them a photo of my MyProtein steel shaker with a grid. They replied saying ‘please try to remove it’.
Well I’d obviously already tried to remove it, hence my complaint that it isn’t removeable. But figuring they know best, I attempted to remove it with pliers.
It snapped.
I took photos of snapped shaker lid grill, and sent it to them, saying ‘okay, as per your advice I tried to remove it, but it isn’t removeable.
They replied ‘oh, ok, that looks like a solid grid that doesn’t come out, we’ll send you a replacement.
I received an identical one again… :woman_facepalming:t3: :woman_facepalming:t3: :woman_facepalming:t3:

6 Likes

How frustrating! :grimacing:

1 Like

:joy::joy:
I might attack this one with a hacksaw
Just for fun

2 Likes

Didn’t know yours is a steel shaker, mine aren’t :joy:

Reading this I hope I don’t need to contact their customer service (ever!) if that’s
the standard of the ‘knowledgeable response’ a customer can expect :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Their customer support is shit about everything. I contacted them with some BASIC queries not shaker related and they were clueless about them too.

1 Like

Great, now I really hope I’d never need to contact them.
Only did once, asking when something would be back in stock again and actually had
a quick and accurate response :smiley:

2 Likes

My queries related to flavdrops and they kept contradicting themselves.

1 Like