Chocolate v3 - urgh!

I have say that I am very disappointed in new chocolate Huel. V2.3 was delicious. V3 is really bad. I really hope they do something about this :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi Jewy,
That’ll be cause you get around 200g less in the bag. Also you should only be using 45g per scoop according to the booklet I got with my first order of black. Only had the chocolate so far, tastes ok. Got 1 vanilla on next order.

I discovered I had an unopened pack of 2.3 chocolate in the cupboard this morning. Made a shake and wow, forgot how good it was compared to 3.0 chocolate. Tastes like buttery chocolate and beautiful texture. I don’t dislike 3.0 but it’s definitely not an improvement!

3 Likes

I use two less scoops of black than i do of white but i still find it doesnt last as long, quite odd indeed ;(

I’ve used 28 scoops so far, at least another 2 left. I don’t measure, level scoop with the odd air pocket.

Yeah i’m about the same, 8 scoops for white, 6 scoops for black :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Might try with the older 38g scoops when I open my next bag.

V3 is actually awful. I’m cancelling my subscription. I think they are trying to force us to order the black version!

Huel - you need to sort it out please. I was a huge fan of the v2.3 and managed to get other people into huel as a result of its tastyness! But the new version is the complete opposite. I wouldn’t offer it to my worst enemy.

5 Likes

@Jbetc what flavour did you try?
I had UU and it seemed pretty much the same so I’m guessing it’s the flavourings they’ve changed ?

What’s UU?

The chocolate flavour was awful. The coffee one is bearable.

Sorry - UU / unflavoured, unsweetened

I thought all they had changed was the vitamin complex ie added kelp and kombucha and a few other tweaks to the recipe.
I didn’t realise they had changed the flavourings as well.

I kinda want to try them out of curiosity, but I’m happy with unflavoured and cacao powder.
I liked 2.3 mint-choc

They have “improved the taste with all natural flavours” in V3.

The banana premix seems almost identical in 3.0 compared to 2.3, so perhaps that already had the benefit of the all natural flavour approach via being so recently added to 2.3. I haven’t been brave enough to try the new berry or mint choc etc yet.

Black Edition Chocolate is… different. Can’t say it’s particularly offensive but it’s not what I’m used to with FB’s.

I never had the chocolate V2.3 (I only ever had U&U so make your own assumptions of my tastebuds if you want).

I really don’t mind the Chocolate V3. It’s definitely not your standard chocolate milkshake taste but its still pleasant to me.

If I were to describe it, it’s more an oaty-cocoa taste, perhaps with a butterscotch hint - reminds me of somewhere between chocolate cereal (Wheetoes or coco-pops maybe?) and chocolate Angel Delight. I like both of those so probably why I don’t mind it!

Probably would just order the cocoa flavour boost and vanilla next time to keep more variety.

I’m afraid I agree with those who find V3 sickly sweet. The cloying artificial smell alone makes me feel sick, but the taste is awful too. It’s so disappointing, I loved Chocolate V2.3 and used to have a big bowl of it at around 4pm at work, but V3 smells so horrible even my work colleagues have noticed the difference (and now make puking gestures when I eat it). I got a V3 banana too, which is also not as nice as the old version but at least the difference isn’t as marked. V3 Chocolate no longer tastes of chocolate, it has a generic sickly flavour, like really cheap ice cream. I emailed to complain and Huel were very helpful, I hadn’t noticed the new version before I paid for it but evidently they feel they made it quite clear (and having looked at the website thoroughly I see the upgrade is discussed but I had to look for it). But I won’t buy V3 ever again, and have stopped singing Huel’s praises to anyone who’ll listen like I used to. I agree with people who are commenting that yes, it’s good that Huel are trying to improve the product in terms of using more natural ingredients and making it more nutritious but they need to consider the taste!!

3 Likes

This is sad to hear, chocolate powder v3 tastes awesome for me, the texture is especially smooth now. If you are talking about the flavour boosts - I agree, I tried them all and they have a very strong unpleasant aftertaste and tend to make give me a headache.

We certainly all do have different taste buds! Definitely talking about the chocolate powder not the boosts; I’m finding it grim and won’t be ordering it again! Glad you like it though :slight_smile:

I wonder if they can keep multiple versions of the powder - clearly there is something in the v3 that many people dislike.

I could not agree more with everything you say! The chocolate V3.0 is so very bad. It definitely should not be called chocolate - I don’t know what flavor it is. My husband and I both drink Huel and when we had our first 3.0 shake (not realizing it was a new version) we both immediately were revolted. At first, we thought maybe we got a bad batch, but then found out Huel had changed its recipe. We really tried to get used to it, but can’t. We tried adding peanut butter powder and instant coffee, but you can’t even taste those strong flavors over whatever disgusting taste is overwhelming V3.0. We ordered 6 bags of V2.3 from the outlet, but if that becomes no longer available, we will have to say goodbye to Huel and find an alternative. It really is too bad. We have recommended Huel to dozens of people, but I no longer can do that. I hope they figure it out.

4 Likes

Finally through my two bags of chocolate v3 - I certainly won’t be buying any more - and back to vanilla v2.3 (I hope they don’t change that as the ‘improved’ vanilla was almost as bad as the new chocolate). I’ve tried it with a heaped teaspoon of Cadburys drinking chocolate powder and that tastes nice - both Cadburys and Bournville are vegan with the ‘may contain’ disclaimer due to possible cross contamination; so that may be an issue depending on how hard core vegan you are! We’ll see what the next batch of improvements yield…

1 Like