Introducing v3.1 🖤

Welcome to the forum @a_s I’m so sorry that it’s due to you not enjoying Vanilla v3.1.

Thank you for your feedback and I will, of course, make sure to pass this on to our product team, however this flavour profile doesn’t sound right so to get some more information from you, could you please email team@huel.com with details of the taste and batch information. I’m sorry about your experience with v3.1 and hope we can help.

1 Like

I posted this on the Chocolate thread but sadly I do not enjoy the new Chocolate, I have sadly paused my sub for now. Will see how I get on and if I can get through the bag right now.

Sorry guys I just do not enjoy the Choc 3.1. (choc 3.0 was my fav) I do not want to buy more if they are affected.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear this, could I ask that you please reach out to our customer experience team at team@huel.com it would be good to hear about your experience with this flavour and we would love to be able to help in some way.

The worst thing is that there are two “caramel” flavours now. I have sold the one I got (thought I would still get the old v3.0 as it was indicated at the German webstore) without even trying it.
Haven’t ordered anything since then. In Germany yfood seems to be the most popular brand, I really think about living on their shakes only.
Why does everything have to be mixed with “caramel”? I can’t imagine that many people like such a sickly sweet flavour.

1 Like

I’m hoping they make some camel flavoured ones. A bit of nicotine and a smidge of dromedary. Bet you’d still moan though.

2 Likes

I like it when something really silly tickles me, todays is the above, thanks. :rofl:

1 Like

@ hunzas: What’s your problem, why are you attacking me? Just for fun? Or because you’re a loser in real life and therefore feel the need to be the “strong man” in anonymous forums?

Don’t get the hump.

1 Like

Caramel is fantastic. Imagine a world with no crème brûlée, no crème caramel. No Tunnock’s Wafers! :scream:

Yeah, much sweeter, especially Berry. Its level of artificial sweetness is off the charts.
Chocolate and Coffee are less so, but also significantly sweeter than the 3.0 version

I honestly have no clue why they went this way.
I understand removing kombucha/ whatever non-essential ingredient for cost reasons, but just completely changing the taste profile of all flavors to make it taste like ‘any-other-protein-shake-in-a-very-colored-bag-catering-to-gym-freaks’ is a bit beyond that.

I got back after 5 months outside Europe, and was really looking fwd to get back on my ‘huel’ diet again, just to receive this ‘surprise’

16% less carbon will have been a nice surprise tho’. Maybe part of the reason ‘they went this way’.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been enjoying the new flavours.

To give a bit of insight into why we made these flavour changes.

Berry - One of our top complaints about this flavour is that it was bland. By increasing the sweetness slightly this helps carry the flavour and improve flavour delivery.

Chocolate - We ran a lot of trial sessions that suggests our V.3 chocolate was not sweet enough and not what people expect from this particular flavour profile.

Coffee - We changed the flavour profile from Coffee to Coffee Caramel.

On both Coffee and Berry we have increased sucralose by only 0.01% which is very minimal. With Chocolate we have increased sucralose a little more but this is now more in line with other flavours such as Salted Caramel and Cinnamon Swirl.

But as always all feedback is taken on board so we can look at the data to see the success of the addition changes.

Sadly have to agree with that the taste of 3.1 is very artificial tasting to me akin to cheap french vanilla syrups. Not even using some U/U or throwing in espresso could make this palatable enough for me. I definitely will be dropping vanilla from my rotation and sticking with Original.

1 Like

I’ve been eating Huel as my standard meal since 2015. These days I’ll have a shake for breakfast, bars for lunch then a shake followed by a Hot & Savoury for dinner.

But 3.1 has been a terrible change for me. A two-scoop shake is way too thick for my tastes and even if I water it down more the flavour is still too much for my liking. Even if it wasn’t, I don’t need the cut in calories and nutrients.

I’ve switched to Essential for now which is drinkable but I’m not sure how happy I’ll be in the long term with the lesser version. Might be coming close to the day I go back to regular food.

It is possible to balance out some of the sweetness by adding salt or something acidic, maybe some juice. This would both add nutrients and calories. Or you add more fluid; of course this would mean a lower calorie density, but only if you use water. You could also use something with calories.

I appreciate the explanation, although I still do hope for a rollback to 3.0 formulations.

It seems that as usual the silent majority was shadowed by a smaller but more vocal minority (which I’m guilty of, as I only started posting now after the things got broken…).

Maybe the post-purchase ‘feedback form/ rating’ would be helpful, this way you could get to know that a lot of people actually really liked low-keyness of Berries, and the pure(non-carmel) coffee taste and its high caffeine content. (And that I hated the Mint Chocolate flavor, but it didnt impact my overall experience)

I do not know anyone, but 1 persons, that prefers the new versions. So basically what we need to do to increase a chance of getting to the previous versions is stop buying, so that there is a visible negative impact on sales :confused:

Great suggestion! I’ll make sure to pass this on to see if it’s something we can do for specific flavour changes especially.

It’s always upsetting to hear a new version isn’t as liked as the previous, Our aim is to always take on the feedback we’re receiving from customers to ensure improvements are made, so all the feedback we’ve received from the new version is really valuable to create products you guys love.

Has anyone else found that the 3.1 salted caramel also has quite a different aftertaste? For me, as well as being sweeter, salted caramel 3.1 has an almost… floral? edge to it which I’m just not enjoying. Really hoping it’s just that flavour and not the base powder that’s doing it, but the other bags (vanilla, cinnamon) in my most recent order were 3.0 so I couldn’t compare. The new version of original after it was changed/brought back a couple of years ago had a hint of something similar to me.

One question to the team:
Does the new v3.1 Original contain any vanilla or vanilla taste? Or is it just some kind of “sweet oats”?

1 Like

Original always had Vanilla in it and was called Vanilla before it was changed to Original but I guess they lessened the amount of vanilla and increased the sweetness instead.